PDA

View Full Version : Can Discus be Polyamorous/ Polygamous?

ChuBoch
02-21-2016, 06:53 PM
New to the hobby, I have a 125g planted gravel with 7 discus ranging from 3.5-8"

I started with four 4.5-5.5" and one little 3.5" guy (5 total). Then recently added two larger ones an 8" PB and 7-8" PB- who after a week the smaller of the two new big guys began to show what I researched as breeding behaviors. The biggest seemed interested but not completely committed.

I mentioned it to the man who I purchased them from about their behavior, and he let me know they had been separated but previously were a pair.
What are the chances out of his 6 150g tanks I would choose two who had tried to pair/ spawned before- it's like a discus love story!

The five original guys were a Yellow Melon, Tangerine Melon, Blue Diamond, and Red Carnation- who has suddenly started displaying a ton of similar breeding behaviors. The new big boy, a Orange PB, is being followed by his lost love a White Carnation, and the Red Carnation- who are both picking at various surfaces, shivering, waving their tails around his face.

He majorily stays with his previous lady (?), but has shown interest in the other PB. The three are together, or the Red/White Carnation are off in a corner picking surfaces and shivering together.

I am just referring to he/she completely guessing, from what I have read about male-female breeding behaviors and the evidence from spawning with the previous owner.

Curious thoughts on this situation? They're guarding off the rest, but seem to tolerate each other. Maybe he hasn't chosen yet and they're both trying? Would two females lay eggs for one male? How do I know if a pair is fully paired or bonded besides spawning? Do they swap mates?

It's like SisterDiscusWives in my living room!

Bill63SG
02-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Discus don't mate for life and readily spawn amongst themselves.Some will have stronger bonds and stay together.

Kyla
02-21-2016, 11:28 PM
discus love is totally like a soap opera.