PDA

View Full Version : New Cone design

Varma
02-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Hello fellow hobbyists,

I am Thinking about the breeding cones for couple of months and I dont see anyone has a cone where cone can be multi purpose like can be used to breed and when done the same cone can be used to separate eggs/fry from parents and transfer to another tank.

If there is please let me know.

I have couple of ideas which i am putting below. Please let me know if you see any draw back with this or any suggestion or alternative.

Design 1: Main Intention.
To Breed Discus/Altum Angelfish

Bowl 1 : 2 inch wide curved lip with .5 to 1 inch deep at the center of the curve. : The Use of this bowl is when Parents are laying eggs if they fall they will fall and get collected here so parents can transfer back.

Bowl 2 : 2 inch wide with Flat Base bowl serves dual purpose. It will support the flat bottom and gives more stability to cone. also let hobbyist to place mesh in this tray/bowl instead of on the cone. If the mess is small that will allow the cone to transfer the fry/wigglers/eggs safely from breeder tank to fry tank without manually catching wigglers.

Added Picture. My Drawing skills are not that great. So hope that pic makes sense. Please post suggestions.

Keith Perkins
02-23-2016, 04:54 PM
I'm only into discus so maybe that's why I'm not understanding, but what's the with "separate eggs/fry from parents and transfer to another tank." and why do you need a special cone to do it if you wanted to? All my cones are currently from Barb and if for some reason I wanted to separate eggs/fry from parents and transfer to another tank I'd just pick up the cone and do it. Hers also have an egg catcher which I have from time to time used to put screening around. Trying not to throw stones, but I'm just not seeing this being a better mouse trap.

Disgirl
02-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Varma, I replied to your pm. But will also put it here for others interested. My 16" extra tall cone with nice sized lip, does just what you need. Many people with altum angels and very large discus are using them very successfully.
Barb

Larry Bugg
02-23-2016, 11:05 PM
If the eggs or fry fall from the cone they usually end up in the lip at the bottom of the cones that are there just for this purpose but discus are extremely good parents and very protective. The eggs/fry will not stay down at the lip or on the tank bottom for very long. One of the parents will suck them up and place them right back on the cone. I really see no need for a mesh on the bottom lip and I actually believe it might hinder the parents from picking the eggs/fry back up and placing them on the cone. I have bred a lot of discus and see no need for a new design.

warblad79
02-24-2016, 12:23 AM
My stubborn female fineline snakeskin always lay eggs on the glass and I still get good hatch rate. Even if fry falls to the bottom for few day and still survive as long as you keep the water clean. What I'm to say is, there's no need for specialize cone discus will lay eggs on kind of surface

Varma
02-24-2016, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys for the quick input/suggestions.

I have altums. I dont have pair yet but they are at that age. They are well trained to people from last 2 years and They will come to my/kids hands on glass even though they are wild. Still some times i see they jerk all of a sudden for no reason(at least in my point of view). Some times they do that when they see a sudden light/flash. (Not to mention i had to be extreemly carefull during the water changes. No sudden moments as they are stressed to water level changes).

My main intention for this design is to collect the eggs/Wigglers directly from maintank/breeding tank with one slow single lift and put the entire cone in another tank.
Anyone who owns altums including me are afraid as they are scary cats and bang themself to aquarium when they are stressed. I dont want to stress them during the transfer or during breeding process. I am trying to eliminate as much stress as i can. This came out of that thinking process and as a precautionary step. this way if i see the parent are eating the fry/eggs i can transfer them to another tank.

Varma
02-24-2016, 06:59 AM
Looks like someone has this design already. I came across this video just now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkrU3uIkIHo&list=LLjTHUOTnmHtLM4xaBuSd48g

Only addon to my initial design in respective to the one in youtube is to have outer edge to both lips.
Barb(DisGirl) Said she can make it. Keeping my fingers crossed.