PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding seachem safe doage

jim LI
03-03-2016, 02:31 PM
hi all, i have read about 20 threads in this regard and i am still confused. can someone, very simply, tell me what 1 cap-full of prime (5ml) is equivalent to using safe?

Thanks,
jim

5ml of prime = ?? of safe

rickztahone
03-03-2016, 10:11 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you but I'll assure you that SAFE is the best bang for your buck. I use 1/4 tsp per every 50g of water. Dose for the full amount of water in the tank.

Wes
03-03-2016, 10:43 PM
I use 1/4 tsp per every 50g of water. Dose for the full amount of water in the tank.

+1 ........ I do the same

Dis82
03-03-2016, 11:13 PM
I also tried to figure out dosing before I bought. I was reading for days and still very confused. I went with 1/4 tsp for 50 gallons to start. Now I use 1/2 tsp for my 135 gallon. 1/4 tsp for my 75, 65, and a pinch less for my 40 gallon.

I wish I made the switch years ago. I dissolve the amount for 1 second in a cup and toss it into the tank right before I refill.

Jack L
03-03-2016, 11:43 PM
safe says 1/4 tsp for 300 gals on label.

so for 50 gals you only need 1/24th tsp

so even a pinch is more than enough

a Smidgen = 1/32 tsp (1/2 pinch)
a Pinch = 1/16 tsp (1/2 dash)
a Dash = 1/8 tsp (1/2 tad)
a Tad = 1/4 tsp

you can get the these small measuring spoons (AND THEY ARE SMALL) from your wife's baking supplies ; ) also at dollar store

Jack L
03-03-2016, 11:43 PM
as far as bang for buck, there is a thread somewhere on board that shows it. it was WAYYYYYY cheaper.

rickztahone
03-03-2016, 11:56 PM
safe says 1/4 tsp for 300 gals on label.

so for 50 gals you only need 1/24th tsp

so even a pinch is more than enough

a Smidgen = 1/32 tsp (1/2 pinch)
a Pinch = 1/16 tsp (1/2 dash)
a Dash = 1/8 tsp (1/2 tad)
a Tad = 1/4 tsp

you can get the these small measuring spoons (AND THEY ARE SMALL) from your wife's baking supplies ; ) also at dollar store

I have a really old bottle. Someone mentioned this new dosing instruction. Everyone, read the bottle and go off of what it says ;)

Dis82
03-04-2016, 08:03 AM
The bottle is so confusing because they break it down separately. The language says to remove chlorine use x amounts. To remove chloramines use x amount. That's what got me confused

Jack L
03-04-2016, 09:36 AM
The dose I added was door tap water treatment, the higher doses are for emergency treatment I guess during a cycle to treat out of control ammonia and nitrites and nitrate. Prime has the same type instruction, prime you are just paying more for the liquid form.

jim LI
03-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses. the general consensus is 1/4 tsp for 50 gallons.. prime is a capful - 5ml for 50 gallons, so 5ml of prime = 1/4 tsp of safe for dosage.

thanks,
jim

CrazyAngels
03-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Just took a look at my bottle of SAFE to make sure, and mine does say 1/4 tsp for 50 gallons. I do have Chloramines in mine and that is evident by seeing ammonia with test kit after you use SAFE.

jim LI
03-07-2016, 05:45 PM
From Seacehm :

Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories)
Mar 7, 11:29

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your email. You are correct - the recommended dose of Safe for 50 gallons of water is 1/24 of a tsp. This dose will remove about 1 mg/L chloramine and 1.4 mg/L chlorine, so to achieve the exact same chlorine and chloramine dechlorination rate as the standard dose of Prime, you will want to use around 3x this dose (1/8 tsp). Essentially, Prime is recommended to be dosed at a level which can dechlorinate pool water (the highest chlorine level recommend for any water source), while Safe is recommended to be dosed at a level which will will dechlorinate average tap water. Due to how concentrated it is (very easy to overdose) we generally recommend looking up your local water report and dosing Safe according to the levels of chlorine and chloramine in your source water.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

so my formula is now 5ml of prime = 1/8 tsp of safe

pitdogg2
03-07-2016, 06:54 PM
From Seacehm :

Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories)
Mar 7, 11:29

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your email. You are correct - the recommended dose of Safe for 50 gallons of water is 1/24 of a tsp. This dose will remove about 1 mg/L chloramine and 1.4 mg/L chlorine, so to achieve the exact same chlorine and chloramine dechlorination rate as the standard dose of Prime, you will want to use around 3x this dose (1/8 tsp). Essentially, Prime is recommended to be dosed at a level which can dechlorinate pool water (the highest chlorine level recommend for any water source), while Safe is recommended to be dosed at a level which will will dechlorinate average tap water. Due to how concentrated it is (very easy to overdose) we generally recommend looking up your local water report and dosing Safe according to the levels of chlorine and chloramine in your source water.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

so my formula is now 5ml of prime = 1/8 tsp of safe

This is exactly what I use for my 75 have had no ill effects. I'll go to almost 1/4 teaspoon when i smell a very strong chlorine smell.

Jack L
03-07-2016, 08:41 PM
jimli, why were you trying to figure out the equivalent between prime and safe? just curious?

jim LI
03-08-2016, 09:39 AM
I hear everyone saying safe is more economical. Since i had been used to using prime, i wanted to make it easy on myself when i get safe as to the same dosages.

brady
03-08-2016, 03:51 PM
I guess I'll throw another wrench into the equation. I'm on well water
so clorine is not my problem. Nitrates and nitrates are since I'm in an area
with several dairy and a horse farm around me. Will safe take care of this?
Jay

DJW
03-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Safe or Prime is not going to help with nitrates. How much nitrite and nitrate do you have in your well water?

I have nitrate in the water and use RO. Its the only good remedy I have found... but my nitrates are unacceptably high.

Jack L
03-09-2016, 09:48 AM
The label says it will, no? I have used prime to deal with some high nitrates in a community tank, test kits showed it worked as well as the fish. It was not a permanent situation but i used is that way for several times

DJW
03-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Some of the things Seachem says leave me scratching my head. Take this one for example:

"Prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them."

I will buy the part about the filter removing detoxified ammonia and nitrite, but nitrate? I want one of those kinda filters. ;)

Seachem also says this,

"The detoxification of nitrite and nitrate by Prime (when used at elevated levels) is not well understood from a mechanistic standpoint. The most likely explanation is that the nitrite and nitrate is removed in a manner similar to the way ammonia is removed; i.e. it is bound and held in a inert state until such time that bacteria in the biological filter are able to take a hold of it, break it apart and use it."

"Prime will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours. At which point, if they are still present, will be released."

If you were having a mini-cycle and you were late for work and couldn't change some water, you might add Prime to temporarily handle ammonia and nitrite at the levels they would typically be present, which would be around 1 or 2 ppm. With nitrates, however, you would be concerned with much higher concentrations. I wonder how much prime you would need to make a difference? Furthermore if the nitrates, after being detoxified with Prime, still show up in the test, as is the case with ammonia, we would have no way of knowing how toxic it might be, and for how long it might remain so.

In this case the OP has nitrates in the tap water. This is not a temporary problem that can be effectively controlled with Prime (or Safe). Its like bringing a peashooter to a gunfight.

----------------------------------------
Seachem source for above:

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=3983

chuckiesmalls
03-15-2016, 12:25 PM
I love safe... After spending butt loads of cash on Prime, I realized this stuff is basically its equivalent. I was SO happy. :)

I use it sparingly (usually always go with 1/2 recommended dosage) and use testing/observation from there. Seachem seems like a pretty solid company but I always feel most (for-profit) companies are going to provide you with a bigger recommended dosage than actually needed just so you use their product more. Which will in turn make you buy more. Hooligans.

Less is almost always more with soooo many things in life I am just beginning to realize.

Happy fishing!

CJ

Dhavalsp
03-15-2016, 02:28 PM
The dose of Safe...1/4 tsp per 50G is for water straight out of tap water or the aged water?

I am planning to make the switch from prime and I hope it goes well...and yes I use it straight out of tap.

pitdogg2
03-15-2016, 02:38 PM
The dose of Safe...1/4 tsp per 50G is for water straight out of tap water or the aged water?

I am planning to make the switch from prime and I hope it goes well...and yes I use it straight out of tap.

read post 12 and 13 it is right here in this thread

Dhavalsp
03-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi Pitdogg, thanks for pointing me to those post. But I am looking for what people generally do...I agree all tap waters are different...But I just wanted to see how people modify their safe doses while treating aged water vs tap water...

stretch5
03-16-2016, 12:03 PM
do many ppl add the correct amount of prime or safe then fill their discus tanks straight from the tap till full??
I have considered doing it and just treating with enough prime of safe for total volume of my tank?
Currently I treat my water in a 200L barrel with safe or prime and air over night with air stone and add the following morning.

pitdogg2
03-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Hi Pitdogg, thanks for pointing me to those post. But I am looking for what people generally do...I agree all tap waters are different...But I just wanted to see how people modify their safe doses while treating aged water vs tap water...
You treat for the volume of water regardless. Test your aged water if it has ammonia after 24hrs treat it for the volume of water before you run into main tank if you can't do that and your main tank is larger still treat for the volume of the main tank.

rickztahone
03-16-2016, 09:14 PM
do many ppl add the correct amount of prime or safe then fill their discus tanks straight from the tap till full??
I have considered doing it and just treating with enough prime of safe for total volume of my tank?
Currently I treat my water in a 200L barrel with safe or prime and air over night with air stone and add the following morning.

I used to do this and I will tell you why I stopped. When I added the water to my storage barrel, I would treat with Safe, aerate it and heat it and then do a WC the following day with it. However, I would have to clean my barrel every week or every other week because it would get a coat of pink slime. Wasn't very appealing. So, many said to treat the water only right before it goes in to the tanks. I did it and I have not had this problem any longer. The only problem I had at the beginning was to remember to actually add the Safe right before WC since I was set in my ways. I actually added myself a note by the aging barrel to remember since I may have the worst memory in the world. Even with the note, I forgot a couple of times until a few hours later, lol.

Dis82
03-16-2016, 10:15 PM
That's a good tip rickz. I hate that slim coat cleaning the barrels even more

stretch5
03-17-2016, 08:29 AM
thanks rickztahone, I know that pink slim your talking about its stained my clear tubes i use to pump the water into the tank.
So you still age the water and treat before fill the tank. Do you think its necessary to age the water before adding if its basically 28C.
is summer here in aus and waters always warm here.

pitdogg2
03-17-2016, 11:12 AM
I can honestly say I have NEVER had this pink or slime problem in my 50 gal tank with either Prime of Safe.....just lucky i guess.

rickztahone
03-17-2016, 06:15 PM
thanks rickztahone, I know that pink slim your talking about its stained my clear tubes i use to pump the water into the tank.
So you still age the water and treat before fill the tank. Do you think its necessary to age the water before adding if its basically 28C.
is summer here in aus and waters always warm here.

Well, we age for pH swing or micro bubbles. Same temp is only a bonus here.

stretch5
03-25-2016, 09:38 AM
thanks for that info rick