PDA

View Full Version : Algae on bare bottom tank

Royalbluewilds420
03-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Need some advice. I am still trying to decide on whether or not to add sand to my 55 Gallon Breeder set up. Planning to purchase a proven pair. I've had this tank running bare bottom for months now, but 3 to 4 days after every water change there is always a film of brown algae, I've used API's Ammo Lock with Algae Fix and that always clears it up, however I don't want to expose my new Discus pair to those medications, and I'd rather not add a pleco. I've considered getting some Mag Float cleaners as well. What would you guys suggest? How do you keep the bottom glass panel on your bare bottoms crystal clean?

ynot
03-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Just use a high end paper towel that doesn't disintegrate as soon as it hits the water and wipe it out every day along with your water changes.

ynot
03-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Just use a high end paper towel that doesn't disintegrate as soon as it hits the water and wipe it out every day along with your water changes. The dirt and algae stick to the paper towel and you can throw it away instead of just floating it back up into the water column.

dghby
03-09-2016, 02:36 PM
completely understand this, I had a brown algea build up exactly like that every 3-4 days after water change. there is a new product recently on the Market that I guarantee will work. ( no I get nothing from this company)
just speaking from experience and my tank is 165gl.
check this site out, underwater creations, Inc.
the product is called Vibrant they make for freshwater, saltwater and reefs so get the right one.
inexpensive and does the trick.

MKD
03-09-2016, 03:33 PM
What type of light do you have and how long do you have lights on? garage light tube will create brown algae. Light on long time also create algae.

Loosir
03-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Brown algae tends to grow in dim light pretty well unlike green algae. Limiting Nitrates and Phosphates would be most effective solution. WC more than 3-4 days apart would do it, or adding other plants to use up the nutrients would work but then you have to know how to keep those alive. I personally am only good at growing algae so I change water.;)

CrazyAngels
03-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Brown algae tends to grow in dim light pretty well unlike green algae. Limiting Nitrates and Phosphates would be most effective solution. WC more than 3-4 days apart would do it, or adding other plants to use up the nutrients would work but then you have to know how to keep those alive. I personally am only good at growing algae so I change water.;)

agree, I would put some warm water plants in pots to help with nutrient usage.

ynot
03-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Hey dgyby how long have you been using this vibrant it looks pretty interesting! I think I might check into it

dghby
03-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Hey dgyby how long have you been using this vibrant it looks pretty interesting! I think I might check into it
about 6 weeks now, this is rather new. i always got brown algae 3-4 days after a water change, and i have been using potted plants since i set the tank up 4 months or so ago.
i did a large water change, wiped down the tank completely and haven't seen it come back since.
BEFORE
since i started using Vibrant95685

Las Vegas
03-10-2016, 04:09 PM
Just use a high end paper towel that doesn't disintegrate as soon as it hits the water and wipe it out every day along with your water changes.

Just a note, companies use chemicals to make paper towels white. Instead try what I do, I use a paper coffee filter. They are chemical free and strong.

ynot
03-11-2016, 12:11 AM
Never thought of that Las Vegas Im gonna try that and dghby I like what the vibrant has done in your tank I'll be getting some of that too! Appreciate it guys!

Tony

Ryan
03-11-2016, 02:26 AM
Buy yourself an algae scrubber (http://www.amazon.com/Super-Algae-Scrubber-Handle-Glass/dp/B0002QHMSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457677535&sr=8-2&keywords=algae+scrubber) and wipe it off before water changes. It takes 2 minutes to do the whole tank.

IMO there's no point in pouring chemicals into a tank unless you absolutely have to. Something like algae is easily taken care of without them, especially diatoms (brown algae).

Kyla
03-11-2016, 10:53 AM
i get the brown algae too. i decreased the light cycle and it has helped a little but not much.

my tank is too deep to use a cloth on the walls and base. instead i use a long handled razor scraper for the bottom of my tank and a ling handled scrubber for the walls. its still difficult to reach the back wall.

i have potted plants and occasionally sand gets kicked out of the pots so using a separate tool for the bottom of the tank ensures i dont get debris in the brush and accidentally scratch up the front glass when cleaning it.

scrapers work fast, no muscle needed, but ive always been too paranoid of scratching to use them on the front glass, so i use scrubbers for the walls.

ynot
03-11-2016, 11:12 PM
I tried the coffee filters today and they worked pretty good. I use everything from sponges to scrubbers, to what ever it takes lol. I don't like using chemicals on a regular basis either but I think that vibrant might have a use in certain applications. I have had aquariums on and off for over 40 years and I just had my first real bad algae bloom in a 120 I set up this past fall. I was changing 75% water a day and by the next day I could hardly see the fish again. I went to one of those Vecton UV sterilizers and in 2 days the algae was gone. I have been running it for the last 3 months and it has been keeping the water crystal clear. I have a 3D background on that tank and the algae had grown into the crevices but its gone there too. This is my first uv but so far I'm impressed.

Eti
05-03-2016, 03:25 PM
about 6 weeks now, this is rather new. i always got brown algae 3-4 days after a water change, and i have been using potted plants since i set the tank up 4 months or so ago.
i did a large water change, wiped down the tank completely and haven't seen it come back since.
BEFORE
since i started using Vibrant95685

Since I saw yur post I started using Vibrant and I LOVE it! no algae whatsoever anymore. I still do my wc everyday but I always got some brown algae. It really did the trick

kiwdahc
05-05-2016, 02:10 PM
How are you getting algae with daily WC and low lighting? Something must be wrong with your parameters or setup.

DISCUS STU
05-05-2016, 03:27 PM
I use a foam pad scraper in my breeder tank, my other tanks don't have this problem as they have various algae eaters, mostly benign Plecos.

My breeder female doesn't like when the scaper goes in but then again she doesn't like anything coming near here babies, especially and including me!