PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Fighting Over the Kids - Your Advice

DISCUS STU
03-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Hey Simply Discus Crew. My breeders successfully spawned and the fry attached to them about 7-8 days ago.

The parents are raising their fry but they definitely prefer to feed from the male. The female is jealous and harassing the male to get the fry to feed more from her to the point where the male's pectoral fins are slightly shredded.

Does this behavior eventually settle out or do I need to remove the female and have the male raise this very large and growing brood by himself?

DonMD
03-09-2016, 07:51 PM
I had a pair that were terrible this way, and one would shred the fins of the other adult. I put a piece of egg crate vertically in the tank to separate the parents, but let the fry swim between. It worked great. Good luck.

Keith Perkins
03-09-2016, 08:04 PM
I had a pair that were terrible this way, and one would shred the fins of the other adult. I put a piece of egg crate vertically in the tank to separate the parents, but let the fry swim between. It worked great. Good luck.

My method as well.

briztoon
03-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Great idea. I never thought of that.

I experience this as well. After about a week one of my females gets very agro with her male and I always end up removing him.

DISCUS STU
03-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Great idea. I never thought of that.

I experience this as well. After about a week one of my females gets very agro with her male and I always end up removing him.

He seems to be the better parent and a little larger as a feeder for the kids. If I have to I'll probably remove her. This is their first spawn. Maybe she'll calm down in the future, maybe not.