PDA

View Full Version : Tank Bowing, Middle Support Bar Breaking - AGAIN!

DISCUS STU
03-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Hi Folks,

Old problem that I've had going back a long time. The tank starts to flex and and bow in the middle and the top middle bracket eventually brakes. PIA and I often have to buy a new tank.

This has happened on 55's and now a 60 gal. Of course they'll be respondents that'll say "I've had tanks since the early 70's w/o any problem", but for those that are familiar with this problem, pls. let me know if it's certain manufacturers or conditions that cause this. Am I possibly filling the tank too high, etc.

I have to call my lfs today to see about replacing an otherwise perfectly good 60.

Regards,

Stu

Codemonkey
03-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Yikes! sorry to hear it. Have you used the same stand through this? Could it be the support that it is giving it?

pitdogg2
03-10-2016, 01:20 PM
I've had two all-glass aquariums do the same thing they stood behind them and gave me a new one.

I fill mine to the top

jdhuyvetter
03-10-2016, 02:08 PM
I've had it happen on 55 gallon tanks and a 120XH tank. different manufacturers. the lights oxidized the plastic which weekended it significantly. this caused it to crack. Never had a problem with a tank with glass bracing. Only plastic.

DISCUS STU
03-10-2016, 04:45 PM
I just called the lfs and of course light oak isn't manufactured anymore only black. New tanks are $145 plus tax, just replacing the top frame w/brace is about $29. I just scrape away the silicone from the top and then replace with the new one.

According to them it isn't that hard.

LizStreithorst
03-10-2016, 05:33 PM
I've always just silicone in a piece of glass to replace the broken brace. It's not that big a deal and the repair lasts forever.

Cosmo
03-10-2016, 07:02 PM
oh for the good old days of Atlas tanks - no brace, no problems.. damn shame they went out fo business. Is your tank level? If not, that can put undue strain on the bracing.. just a thought

Darrell Ward
03-10-2016, 07:31 PM
I miss those old time glass tanks with no bracing. Sold the last one I had (a 125 gal.) about 5 years ago. To address your problem, it should be easy to replace the top frame after you drain your tank. Let it cure for a couple of days, and it should be good as new. You can paint the bottom frame to match while you are at it.

rickztahone
03-11-2016, 10:38 PM
I've always just silicone in a piece of glass to replace the broken brace. It's not that big a deal and the repair lasts forever.

This is the easiest and most durable option as well.