PDA

View Full Version : Breeding TOO often?

DiscusBP
03-12-2016, 12:04 AM
Hello Everyone!
I have a pair that are breeding faster and faster between spawns. The used to be 12 days apart and stayed that way for a while. After they didn't lay for more than a month they started but more frequently than before. The number of eggs is decreasing and now the pair have been spawning every 4 days?! I don't know if this is a problem or a blessing. I am also artificially raising the fry for two pairs. One pair spawns every 14 days and their fry seem to be much healthier and more survive. The pair that is spawning every 4 days their fry are dying in the 3rd and 4th days. Any help appreciated. Thanks

William Palumbo
03-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Yes Discus can breed too much. Is good to give pairs a rest, especially when raising fry. Females will stay lay eggs if just separated. I will usually crowd my breeders in a tank with other Discus and that usually keeps the spawning urge away...Bill

DiscusBP
03-28-2016, 03:27 PM
Thanks Bill! I have separated the couple to give the female a break. Also, I have been having an issue with this particular couples fry. At about the 4-5 day mark they are dying off. I have tried feeding them egg yolk, brine shrimp etc but still die. I have another pair that does much better and I have two batches of fry from them. Could the fry be weak because of this couple breeding too often?

warblad79
03-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks Bill! I have separated the couple to give the female a break. Also, I have been having an issue with this particular couples fry. At about the 4-5 day mark they are dying off. I have tried feeding them egg yolk, brine shrimp etc but still die. I have another pair that does much better and I have two batches of fry from them. Could the fry be weak because of this couple breeding too often?

It could be bacteria and bad water.