PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus 6 tank system

M3AN ONE
03-12-2016, 02:19 AM
So I am in the process of setting up 6 90 gallon tanks all in series connected to a 300 gallon sump. My goal is to use two of the 90 gallons as community tanks and the rest as potential breeders / grow out tanks. In about 8 months to a year I am hoping (if all goes well) to tie in a 600+ gallon display tank for discus and stingrays. My question is What is a reasonable amount of discus that can be housed in each 90 gallon community? I have heard that 1 fish per 10 gallons for Juveniles is acceptable and for an 1 fish per 15 gallons for an adult are safe in well filtered community tanks... This 6 tank system will be exclusively for discus. 10 percent water changes via drip system will be performed daily. I have been in the hobby for 12+ years but am new to discus and I want to make sure I do everything the right way to ensure peace of mind and quality of life for fish. I also have a 120 gallon quarantine in a separate room to ensure I don't transfer any parasites into my fish room. My most recent tank was a 300 gallon reef with 150 gallon sump but its been about two years since I have had that tank up and running so of course it was just a matter of time before I got bit by the bug again. I wanted to do something challenging but not as expensive and time consuming as maintaining a sps dominant tank. I see there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and look forward to all the helpful tips I receive. I want to be enable to create a system where each fish is able to grow out to their full potential hopefully 6+ inches.

warblad79
03-12-2016, 03:23 AM
I wanted to do something challenging but not as expensive and time consuming as maintaining a sps dominant tank.

Discus are expensive, time consuming and high maintenance. Expect to pay top $$$ for quality fish, water change 50%-100% per day, electricity bill will go up due to high temp, food and medicine. I'm paying roughly $200 + labor a month just to maintain this hobby.

Akili
03-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus. Since you are new to Discus I suggest you go through all the stickies in the beginners section after that all the ones in Breeding Discus Also spend an hour of your time to watch this video if you not already.
https://youtu.be/VXe3VKh7qF8

M3AN ONE
03-12-2016, 03:52 PM
Thanks... I saw that video very informative.

Akili
03-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks... I saw that video very informative.I like watch it over and over, it kind of re enforces what one has to do to be successful .From my experience a 90 gallon tank is way big for a breeder, one that's a lots of Reverse osmosis water needed for daily water changes for a pair of Discus. Second, because of it's size, when the wrigglers go free swimming they have hard time finding the parents to attach to.