PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about my tank stand...

Bouv
03-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Hey guys,

Do you think I should reinforce this table my tank is on? I've been keeping the water level low just in case.

Thanks !

colloc
03-12-2016, 07:36 PM
In a word yes
The braces from the legs up to the underside, are they push fit? (they look to be)
Is there a beam between the legs and what thickness?

Keith Perkins
03-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Does it wobble side to side or front to back? If not I sure wouldn't worry about it, those legs look pretty stout.

Bouv
03-12-2016, 07:56 PM
No, there is no beam underneath. I was thinking about putting some unfixed 2x4's underneath.

Keith Perkins
03-12-2016, 08:25 PM
What's the table top? Isn't it a thick particle board or something?

mee
03-12-2016, 08:41 PM
That table top looks like a solid piece of wood. I would be very surprised if it was particle.

The legs are the only thing I would worry about. Indeed check for wobble. Also since it looks
like the main poles are two pieces with one sliding into the other and then secured with two bolts, I would
be very careful to make sure those joints are secure.

dragon1974
03-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Yeah I would redo a stand for a tank and not use the kitchen table.

rickztahone
03-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Having kids, I would never have a tank on a stand like that. The potential hazard risk is way too high imho

mee
03-12-2016, 11:48 PM
That table also almost looks like an antique, probably a bit collectible. Sell it, and use the money to build, or buy a stand. Most hardware stores will do cuts for free. Haven't bought wood in awhile, but should be more than $20 to build a stand that will look much better, and give you more walking space, and easier water changes.

Akili
03-13-2016, 05:38 AM
Having kids, I would never have a tank on a stand like that. The potential hazard risk is way too high imho 100 % peace of mind

That table also almost looks like an antique, probably a bit collectible. Sell it, and use the money to build, or buy a stand. Most hardware stores will do cuts for free. Haven't bought wood in awhile, but should be more than $20 to build a stand that will look much better, and give you more walking space, and easier water changes.
I have one made from 2X4 lumber that houses a 90 gallon, it needed 9 lengths of lumber and a box of screws and a pint of paint. Cost was $ 39 and change.

rickztahone
03-13-2016, 12:08 PM
If you must use a cheap way of supporting your tank due to cost, simply use cinder blocks and use a table cover or something to hide it.

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 12:56 PM
If you must use a cheap way of supporting your tank due to cost, simply use cinder blocks and use a table cover or something to hide it.

That's a good idea, Ricardo. I have a 30 gallon QT tank sitting on top of my kitchen counter. It will only be there for a few more weeks. I certainly wouldn't keep a tank on it long term. Next time I need to set up a QT tank I'll use concrete blocks and 3/4" ply wood.

nc0gnet0
03-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Table top is more than stout enough, the weakest link will be how the legs secure into the top. With the tank off the table, Stand on it and jump up and down, that will answer your question.

I am however a little concerned about the large angel and the smaller discus, are the discus getting bullied?

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 03:14 PM
So Rick, you want the guy to drain his tank and put it on the floor so that he can jump on his table/stand to see if it breaks or bows? Be realistic. The guy is concerned if his tank is well enough supported. He didn't ask about his Discus. Please respond to the question at hand in the future.

Bouv
03-13-2016, 03:21 PM
It's not a kitchen table. It's a children's desk. I am renting this house from a family of retired teachers.

Bouv
03-13-2016, 03:23 PM

Good idea. I may just buy a stand from petco. probably the same quality lol.

rickztahone
03-13-2016, 03:37 PM
Good idea. I may just buy a stand from petco. probably the same quality lol.

surprisingly, the cinder blocks will provide better support than the Petco offshoot stands, lol. Those particle board stands will swell up after long term use and water spill.

Discus-n00b
03-13-2016, 03:51 PM
How long of a span is it? What size tank?

Problem with using a human's weight to test it is you are talking about a static load vs dynamic load unless you plan on sitting/standing there long term. Same reason why a couch with your 3 heaviest friends should not be used as a guide to validate your floor being strong enough for an X gallon aquarium. Sure you can see if the thing will shatter but that would of been determined already with the tank on it most likely. If it's particle board without bracing I would be quite concerned. If it's solid wood without bracing I'd be cautious but not as worried. The most worrying part to me is not having any bracing under the stand,your tank is sitting on the weakest point on the table, in the middle where weight isn't being directly transferred down into the legs. If it were me and I had the option to move the tank to something else, I would. Cinderblock stand, 2x4 or 2x6, something. It's worth the piece of mind.

And I don't recommend keeping that printer under multiple gallons of water either lol

LizStreithorst
03-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Whatever you do, don't buy a particle board stand. It's an abomination that tank stands can be made from particle board. Particle board falls apart when exposed to water.

Bouv
03-13-2016, 06:30 PM

Problem with using a human's weight to test it is you are talking about a static load vs dynamic load unless you plan on sitting/standing there long term. Same reason why a couch with your 3 heaviest friends should not be used as a guide to validate your floor being strong enough for an X gallon aquarium. Sure you can see if the thing will shatter but that would of been determined already with the tank on it most likely. If it's particle board without bracing I would be quite concerned. If it's solid wood without bracing I'd be cautious but not as worried. The most worrying part to me is not having any bracing under the stand,your tank is sitting on the weakest point on the table, in the middle where weight isn't being directly transferred down into the legs. If it were me and I had the option to move the tank to something else, I would. Cinderblock stand, 2x4 or 2x6, something. It's worth the piece of mind.

And I don't recommend keeping that printer under multiple gallons of water either lol

Yea, I think I'm going to put it on some cinder blocks.

nc0gnet0
03-13-2016, 09:46 PM

Just to clarify, looking at the picture, I don't think the top is particle board. It's possible though, but it was my assumption that the weakest link of the setup was the fastening mechanisms securing the table legs to the table top. In this regards to evenly distribute the weight across all 4 legs, then the middle of the table is exactly where you would want the tank. Now, if you think the weakest link is the top itself, then your right, the middle of the table would add the most stress to the top. While I was only half serious about jumping up and down on the table, doing so would exert 3-4 x more stress to the attachment points where the legs secures to the top. My comment was made more in the sense of would the OP feel safe doing that (jumping on the table), not that I really thought he would go through the trouble of doing it :) I should have been more clear, my apologies.

I share everyone's concerns in regards to particle board, but there are a multitude of grades of the stuff. MDF is actually some pretty stout stuff, providing it doesn't get wet, in which case a simple table cloth (plastic) would be ideal. That being said, I don't think the table is Particle board at all.

We are in agreement that additional support is always better, but looking at the placement of the tank itself, that might be a bit of an eye sore (going with cinder blocks). Another option would be to remove the legs, get two well built second hand wood filing cabinets and support the top on that. I Have such an arrangement that has supported a 150 gallon tank for years (the top is solid wood). It give you a place to put your stuff too :)

Oh, and yeah, the printer is a goner sooner or later.

Discus-n00b
03-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Good points Rick, I didn't even account for the way the legs are connected to the table. It looks like the legs are adjustable too so I would assume the same is true for that mechanism as well as any legs could drop due to rust, stripped screw, etc. Check the traveling camera thread, I just had a expensive camera drop due to a faulty tripod (older) leg giving under the weight of the camera and a stripped locking knob. It doesn't look like a new age Ikea type of cheap mass production table we usually see now, I think everyone just wants to be sure for OP's sake and throwing out all options like the particle board. Rather replace a table now than replace a what looks to be real hardwood floor, baseboards, tank, electronics, etc later on. If it helps you sleep where you can fill the tank all the way without worry do it.

I didn't think you were truly serious about getting up and literally jumping on the table, just don't want someone browsing or maybe google searching and use human moving weight as a measurement even though your explanation has a reasoning behind it. Your load is sitting static most of the time, however when you remove water during a WC then dump it back in at probably a much faster rate you might see a sudden force Rick was describing.

brewmaster15
03-14-2016, 06:52 AM
Matt asked a couple important questions....

With out knowing that its hard to say. I could dig up some photos of my first fish room that would make you guys cringe! I used every chair ,desk,cabinet I could find at the side of the road. If it was flat and reasonably stable..a tank went on it. .. far safer to build your own or buy one....but I got lucky there was no accidents!

Seriously keep in mind your tank is pretty heavy...water weighs about 8 lbs per gal . A 40 gal tank weighs close to 320 lbs just in water...on a table like yours here if thats not positioned just right the slightest wobble could pop screws.

Coming from someone that has tried every piece of non-fishtank designed furniture in the past...Id say make a stand.:)

seankelly
03-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Wow spend $30 bucks ,buy a few 2x4's and screws,and put together a stand,I wouldn't trust a table like that,friend.

seankelly
03-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Honestly, I would be afraid to have my Discus,in a tank on a table like that!!!

Darrell Ward
03-24-2016, 07:04 PM
I agree. Build a stand. With some 2"x 4"s and a box of screws, you can build a stand that will easily support 10,000 lbs. provided it is built with the boards on edge. If you find it too ugly, you can wrap it with plywood.