PDA

View Full Version : Clamped Gill on one side only

elbeeaz
03-13-2016, 03:43 PM
Thank you in advance for all of input / suggestions / questions and expertise. I have two female discus in my 125 (I am adding more but they are in quarantine) and one discus has a clamped gill on one side only. I am hoping some of you can point me in the right direction for treatment. Thank you SO VERY MUCH! Below are the answers to the questionnaire.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I noticed a clamped gill on one of my discus on March 7. On March 8 it also had a small, white thing hanging from it (I have a video). Other Discus is unaffected. The tank also houses 2 angelfish and one of them recently passed after a very red, inflamed gill plate. I noticed the swollen gill plate on the Angel on March 4 and he died on March 6.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, head standing or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

The Discus was hiding more and seemed to have less of an appetite than normal. I did not see any other symptoms and up until March 7 the gills appeared to be working normally.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I placed both Discus in a brand new BB 20 gallon hospital tank March 11. There is one airstone, the heater and nothing else. I have covered 3 sides of the tank and the only light is natural light from the window (not direct sunlight). I added Aquarium salt to the tank (per directions on box - 1 tbl per 5 gallons) and temp is at 84. I am keeping them on their regular feeding schedule. I have done two 80% wc since March 11th with no change in the gills. Appetite of the one with the clamped gill seems to be back to normal.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

Tank is 125 gallons.
2 female discus (Ill discus is approx. 2 years old and other Discus is approx. 1.5 years old)
Tank also houses 2 adult Angels (one recently died as listed above). Age of Angels approximately 2.5 years
1 pair of Bolivian Rams approx. 2 years old
3 Cory catfish approx. 2 years old
3 plecos (1 Rubberlip and 2 clowns) approx. 3 years old
5 Netrite Snails
2 Tetras approx. 2 years old

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Weekly 50% wc has been regime for the last year but more recently I've done an intermittent 30% change in the middle of the week.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tank has been running since June 2015 and has been BB.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age my water overnight however recently I've begun aging it only 5 hours (I fill the bucket in the morning, aerate it for 5 hours and then perform my wc). I began this shortened aging process March 4 after running an experiment to see what the PH difference was between my tap and tank water. Tap water is 7.2 Tank was 7.6 I took some tap water, swirled it in a glass jar for approx 30 seconds and tested it....it was closer to 7.6 than 7.2.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84___

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _5-10___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _100%___

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Nothing has been added since last November 2015. 1 pair of Bolivian Rams were added to the tank in November after a 3 week quarantine.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

moik
03-15-2016, 09:58 PM
gill flukes,,prazi,,PP,,formalin,,you have to do several treatments to rid flukes..PP once a month at best...keep water quality up,,water changes daily..wipe tank walls down prior to doing your water change,,lower organics in water/..

elbeeaz
03-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Thank you so much Moik! What is PP? Interestingly enough, the gill that was originally clamped is now working and the other one is now clamped. I have her and the other Discus in a 20 Hospital tank, daily 80% water changes, wipe down sides, normal feeding schedule and temp set at 84 degrees. Any additional input, medication recommendations, ideas with this new information that I have supplied? FYI - the other discus shows no signs/symptoms of illness.

rickztahone
03-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Thank you so much Moik! What is PP? Interestingly enough, the gill that was originally clamped is now working and the other one is now clamped. I have her and the other Discus in a 20 Hospital tank, daily 80% water changes, wipe down sides, normal feeding schedule and temp set at 84 degrees. Any additional input, medication recommendations, ideas with this new information that I have supplied? FYI - the other discus shows no signs/symptoms of illness.

PP=Potassium Permanganate

You can buy some here:
https://shop.chemicalstore.com/navigation/detail.asp?MySessionID=136-743172299&CatID=&id=PP100

Make sure you know how to use it before you do please.

elbeeaz
03-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Thank you for the link and the PP definition! I was going to ask where I might be able to purchase some. I'll search around in the forum for info on using PP for treatment. Thank you so much!

elbeeaz
05-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Update on my Discus who has a Gill that's not 100%. I've had her in a Hospital tank since April and although she's eating well and behaving fine, her right gill is still not 100%. No other signs or symptoms so I believe gill flukes are ruled out. I've lowered her water level to 10 gallons and do a 100% daily water change. It seems as if her gill is permanently damaged so I'm hoping to get some input from you experts on how to heal it. I am going to try dosing with the StressCoat and hope the Aloe helps heal her gill. Do any of you have any additional suggestions for me? She uses that gill but it's FAR from 100% and it's visually obvious that her left gill is having to do the most work for her breathing. Any input you guys have is most helpful. Thank you in advance!

rickztahone
05-16-2016, 04:50 PM
how have you ruled out flukes?