PDA

View Full Version : Jack Wattley Discus, who would be interested in having some? Psuedo Poll

mee
03-13-2016, 04:02 PM
For those not following my thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108715-Jack-Watley-Hi-Fin-Coerulea-X-German-Colbalt&p=1203541&highlight=#post1203541

I have 75-80% Jack Wattley Coerulea which were purchased from Jack Wattley in Florida some 25 or so years ago by a very well known master breeder in Japan Sadaki Hachiya. Mr. Sadaki, took it upon himself to take this fish to the next level mixing in german cobalt over many generations and created his personal favorite strain the HFSB Wattley (High Fin Solid Blue Watley).

After about 2 years of raising and attempting to breed a group of six I purchased from him here in Japan, I now have 45 2+ inch fry, and about 100 that are coming up on 2 weeks old. Many have expressed interest to me over the last 2 years in getting fry from these fish, and though it is my ultimate goal to move back to the states and re-establish myself as a breeder/seller, it is not something I will be able to do soon. However I am able to re-open a small fish room in the states with a family member so I can bring small batches of fish several times a year, but I need to know how many would truly be interested so I can gauge if it is economically feasible for me.

This is not a pre-order, and this is not a commitment. The fact is these will not be cheap by any means. Sadaki Hachiya does not sell his fish cheap, and I can sell them locally for a tidy sum. I will not discuss price at this time, but expect sticker shock!! Think high end discus price times 3. I will likely bring in 2 sizes, sub quarter size, simply because I can carry many more in this way, and then a handful of something a bit bigger.

These are absolutely not for beginners! If you are a beginner and interested in Wattley Discus, please do your research, and try your hand at growing out some quality fry from one of the breeders or vendors here. You can get pretty cheap quality fry in the "Hobbyist Breeders' Fry for Sale" section of this forum. These are very hearty Discus, but I want to see them thrive in the US since the initial numbers I bring in will be so limited.

After I gauge how many are interested, I will start a public dialogue here and likely in the original thread about pricing, and we can move forward from there based on how many are still interested. Do not expect discount for quantity.

Again this is not a pre-order, you are not committed, and absolutely not guaranteed fish. But if you are genuinely interested, and if you understand what I mean by expensive and understand buying just 2 or 3 does not cut it, because discus do best in groups of 5 or more, then please PM me. Or simply post "Interested" in this thread.

RichT
03-13-2016, 04:20 PM
I'd be open to discussion. They are beautiful and not run of the mill.

mee
03-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Thanks for being the first to respond RichT.

I should also mention, though I think I grew the breeders nicely, I have no doubt others could grow them bigger and better. Sadaki Hachiya's main breeding pair is absolutely out of this world. Here is a short video of my original group from when they were about 4 or 5 months old.

https://vimeo.com/74613757
https://vimeo.com/74613757

Driftwood Mike
03-13-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm in Mee! �� ��

mee
03-13-2016, 06:28 PM
OK Mike, Great! I got a couple PM's already too, so we're off to a good start. I will kinda just sit and watch quietly unless someone has a question, to keep things stream line for the next week or so, but rest assured I am paying attention.

mee
03-14-2016, 10:00 PM
I feel I should add for those not familiar with the Wattley High Fin Coerulea line, these fish look virtually identical to the original strain, the biggest difference is the height. The Wattley High Fin Coerulea had a beautiful shape with a high body, but after 25 years of selective breeding, it is pretty clear Sadaki Hachiya worked very hard to keep true to the image of the High Fin Coerulea, but in his quest for perfection made a very high bodied fish with an amazing shape, and amazing color. They practically glow in the dark... seriously.

LizStreithorst
03-14-2016, 10:20 PM
Good fish.

tonytheboss1
03-16-2016, 02:28 PM
:bandana: Question - Are your fish like an enhanced version of these ? https://www.discusfish.com/product/large-classic-jack-wattley-coerulea-discus.html A different variation on a theme so to speak? "T"

mee
03-16-2016, 05:18 PM
:bandana: Question - Are your fish like an enhanced version of these ? https://www.discusfish.com/product/large-classic-jack-wattley-coerulea-discus.html A different variation on a theme so to speak? "T"

It's hard to say if the fish you linked to is a true Coerulea, but to the core of your question, yes, this is a Wattley Coerulea which has been carefully bred for 25+ years to achieve a remarkable High body Discus with what I think many would call perfect shape. The color is true to the original Coerulea, with some individuals being slightly more green, and when the light hits their body at certain angles they have a tinge of purple, as you can see in the video above. That video is all natural light coming in from a slightly openend curtain by the way.

tonytheboss1
03-16-2016, 06:18 PM
It's hard to say if the fish you linked to is a true Coerulea, but to the core of your question, yes, this is a Wattley Coerulea which has been carefully bred for 25+ years to achieve a remarkable High body Discus with what I think many would call perfect shape. The color is true to the original Coerulea, with some individuals being slightly more green, and when the light hits their body at certain angles they have a tinge of purple, as you can see in the video above. That video is all natural light coming in from a slightly openend curtain by the way.

From the site:

A Detailed Description of this Strain
"The Coerulea discus (known most often as the Hi-Fin Coerulea) comes from Jack Wattley’s experimentations with breeding. It was perhaps one of the first high light contrast discus—its coloration was uniquely highlighted, as if fluorescently enhanced. The original color, which is debatable, was most likely blue, and thus the original Coerulea discus was probably a mutation from the natural Blue discus. The Blue discus has some blueness to it, regardless of how much or how little, and thus some appear to be just a slightly bluer Brown discus, but others, such as the Royal Blue have blues stripes and striations on their bodies, head, and fins. The Coerulea, most often the Hi-Fin Blue Coerulea, is a deep blue with fin striations".

I was just wondering, given their claim of 'Jack Wattley' authenticity, if both started with the same genetic stock & yours thru meticulous breeding became more enhanced or are these possibly two separately different lines altogether? (not sure if I'm expressing clearly) "T"

tonytheboss1
03-16-2016, 07:21 PM
:bandana: BTW, Yes I'm interested. lol lol "T"

For100
03-16-2016, 08:25 PM
I would be interested too

mee
03-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Sorry, i think I should could have answered you better with a simple, yes, if the ones linked are truely Courelea. these are a line bred from the same line and have been *enhanced* through two and a half decades of selective breeding.

Sadaki Hachiya is the Japanese breeder, and he personally picked up Courelea from Jack about 25 years ago. He started working with it and a german cobalt. Originally I thought it was a Shmidt Focke Cobalt, as he also has this line, and I scribbled it down in my notes, but he has told me recently he does not know the specific linieage of the German Cobalt. Mine is in his words is 75-80% Courelea, and he has a 50/50 mix which is very pleasant to look at with almost raibow hues, I asked him which fish is his favorite , and he pointed me to the 75-80% strain, so I went with it and never regretted it. I asked recently if he still has the original pure Courelea line, and his answer was yes. He has promised to let me know when fry are available. If things go well with the 75-80% strain, I would like to bring more strains in from him and other breeders I have been keeping my eyes on here. Sadly many breeders on the east coast closed up shop after the tsunami, and many of the older breeders seem to be retiring. so I feel I am a bit in a race against the clock, as it is very hard for me to track down and communicate with hobbyists here, and many have no interest in selling or even trading for their strains.. which is really a shame considering the caliber of some.

mee
03-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Sorry guys, been busy this last week. I will update with some pictures soon, and will start discussing pricing soon too. If this is going to happen it will likely be this summer.

Lighthouse7
03-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Im intrested also - Lighthouse ...... keep the pics coming

mee
03-24-2016, 10:57 PM
Im intrested also - Lighthouse ...... keep the pics coming

OK, good to know, and I definitely will be getting more pics soon. My other world is building and filming with multicopters, and my last job ended with some problems I have to work out right away because we are entering the peak of the cherry blossom season, and I want as much footage from the air as possible. In the mean time starting about page 7 (linked) you can see some great shots of the parents, and their last, and current spawn growing out. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?108715-Jack-Wattley-Hi-Fin-Coerulea-X-German-Colbalt/page7

mee
04-01-2016, 09:55 PM
At the request of the administration I will not be talking potential price for these fish here. I will still post pics, and feel free to ask me non money related questions, or let me know if this is something you would be interested in, or simply PM me. Just to be clear this is still just a hypothetical as I am simply hoping to make a trip and bring some, but nothing is finalized. Eventually I will be moving back to the states, so if this doesn't happen this year, I will likely have fish in the states in the not so distant future.

mee
07-29-2016, 05:24 PM
This is likely happening for the most part when planned. Been ridiculously busy, and dealing with real life stuff. Most the two spawns I was growing are gone or spoken for, but I am going to put the A parents together soon in hopes of getting some easily transportable fry timed with my trip. Will likely be awhile before any updates, but stay tuned.