PDA

View Full Version : my discus pair

dave1977
03-17-2016, 07:22 AM
hi all i bought a pair of discus from my aquatic shop cause my pair of discus paired off and the male ripped a nover male discus eye out so he told me he had to separte the pair

when i first got em he was so aggressive to the female and i got worried cause i payed bit of money for em not 1 pound fish lol

had em for a week and his getting better slowly still bit agressive but only here and there

but why is he aggressive at feed times sometimes

is my question

Las Vegas
03-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Well I've learned through raising Angel fish, that some males get aggressive when they want to breed. They have sometimes selected a female who might not be ready for breeding but will continuously pick, harrass, or just bully the fish to bad health or even death. How can you tell the difference between an aggressive male trying to breed or is it just an "Alpha" male fish doing what they feel they have too, to protect what they feel is theirs? Honestly I can't but when I feel they are just to aggressive, I have a large tall pickle jar that I use. It's the "time out" jar. I can place it in the tank on a ceramic figure. It's tall enough that the angelfish can't get out of it yet water still can circulates into the jar. I used to leave the angel in it for a couple of weeks until the other fish recovered. I haven't used the jar since I switched to Discus. But if it ever happens again, the "time out" jar is ready! Ha.

dave1977
03-19-2016, 03:06 PM
he hasent done it hardly for 2 days he can be the nicest male discus ever im on the verge of taming him which is working very well

he comes up to the water and lets me stroke him which he likes it comes him down

i think he wants to breed but the female isent haveing it

Las Vegas
03-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Well you know your fish, if I was you, you might want to prepare just incase, and have an eggcrate sheet ready for seperation. Goodluck.