PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't my discus happy? help.

nleap
03-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Hey All, I have made the leap into the discus world and excited as well as concerned. So tank and water specs: I have a 55 gal high tech planted tank. I change the water 50% everyday.

The PH is monitored by a controller that is connected to the solenoid that turns on and off the pressurized co2. Co2 is diffused via an inline atomizer attached on the inlet tube back to the tank.

Heating: 250w Hydor inline heater.

Lighting: Finnex Ray2

Filters: I have two filters running an xp-L and and a submerged filter. The xp-l is running at 350gph (but I have that thing pretty full of stuff so I might actually be 300) and then the submerged filter is going at about 200gph. The filter has sponge filter, a lot of biological ceramic media as well as bio balls, a charcoal filter and zeolite filter for ammonia. The small submersible filter just has bio balls and a sponge filter. I have it there to create ripples across the top for increased oxygen exchange.

Water specs:
PH: 6.5 fluctuates up when I change the water. If I change it 50% it will go to 6.7.
Water temp: 85F
KH: less than 50ppm. (I would say less probably 30-40ppm)
GH: less than 50ppm. (I would say less probably 30-40ppm)
Ammonia: 0.25ppm (this fluctuates to maybe 0.5 rarely)
Nitrates: 0-5ppm
Phosphates: 0.25ppm

tank mates:
20 neon tetras
3 golden rams
2 electric blue rams
3 clown loaches
8 discus: 2 red marlboro 4.5" and 3.5"; blue turquoise 4.5"; blue diamond 2"; red turquoise 2"; blue snake-skin 2"; Kobalt 2"; pigeon blood 2.5"

One of the red marlboro might be developing ich. but I am still watching him closely. the red turquoise is very dark. darker than he used to be. the Kobalt is probably the worst off, clamped fins, and uneven slime coat. Most of them are very happy though. They swim around and eat well.

Water change routine:
add API chlorine and chloramine as well as a bacteria suppliment (stress-zyme and stress-coat)

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Every now and then, they just flip out and swim really fast around the tank. I have researched that and I read that its an ammonia problem or an electricity shock problem. Is my ammonia still to high? Do phosphates have anything to do with it?

Do you guys have any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong? Thanks for all your help!

Driftwood Mike
03-18-2016, 08:57 PM
By no means an expert, but that sure seems like a whole lot of fish for a 55. Also appears you tank is not cycled or you need a new test kit. If your tank was cycled your nitrates would be through the roof with that amount of fish, imho?

nleap
03-18-2016, 10:08 PM
By no means an expert, but that sure seems like a whole lot of fish for a 55. Also appears you tank is not cycled or you need a new test kit. If your tank was cycled your nitrates would be through the roof with that amount of fish, imho?

the store might have had the nitrate test kit on the shelves for a long time, but I just bought that one yesterday. why would a fully cycled tank have nitrates through the roof? I understand that its final product in the Nitrogen cycle, but with a lot of plants taking up some of that nitrogen, and the 50% water changes, wouldn't that decrease the nitrates substantially also. Also, not an expert... thats why I am seeking information. Thank you for your thoughts.

Driftwood Mike
03-18-2016, 11:07 PM
What is your nitrite reading? How long has the tank been running? My reasoning on the higher nitrates is with that amount of fish the nitrates would be much higher. Have the the same tank with 6 discus and a few others that were left over from when it was a community tank and am hard pressed to keep the nitrates under 20. Think you can lose the charcoal unless you are removing meds. Ammonia and nitrites should be zero. Do you age your water and do you use any type of conditioner to remove chlorine?

warblad79
03-18-2016, 11:29 PM
You have too many fish and your not changing enough water. Also smaller discus should have be in barebottom tank. Just my assumption but you might loose your discus if you don't move them to bb tank

Kyla
03-19-2016, 12:28 AM
just to chime in, what is ur maintenance routine with the filters? how often do u open that canister for cleaning? i know that ppl regularly leave canisters for weeks and weeks or even months, but in a discus tank they need more frequent cleanings or else the crud collecting in them starts to affect the discus.

why does your tank water have ammonia? does your tap water or your source water have ammonia?

Kyla
03-19-2016, 12:38 AM
i'd also relocate the clowns, as they can sometimes be a bit boistrous for discus (although i know lots of ppl mix the two). i just imagine they are slamming around pretty good in that 55gal tank... mine look crowded in a 210g tank. plus they grow huge and they like to be in larger groups...

i had 8 discus in an 80g and felt it was overstocked, so i cant imagine that many discus, plus all the other fish AND substrate/decor... they r still growing so even if u feel the tank is not overstocked u need to consider the adult size of all those fish... i'd be concerned they would have laboured breathing too?

i suggest to reduce the temp to 82F, as the other fish will appreciate it and it will help to increase the o2 levels in the tank.

Filip
03-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Welcome Nleap .
Can we see a picture of your tank?
Discus in general , but especially juveniles don't do well in high tech planted tanks, mainly because of the deep substrate that holds too much detritus/debris in it, amongst many other discouraging factors.
Although tempting , its very hard and tricky to keep both plants and discus happy, because they got tottaly opposite needs and demands.
On the long run , you'll have to choose which one comes first to you , and act accordingly.