PDA

View Full Version : New Custom 150 Acrylic Show Tank

DonMD
03-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Ordered this tank from ArtfullyAcrylic.com a while back, kept changing the look of it. Now I've gone for the minimalist approach, I think I like this look the best.

The lights are from buildmyled.com, which has now quit doing aquarium lighting, a real pity. Their lights are top notch. Compare these two pictures of my Leopard Snakeskins. One is under the red accentuated lights, the other under the blue accentuated lights. Same fish, just look different under different lights. I have both on the top of the tank, and cycle between them for different looks. Sometimes one will come on, sometimes the other, and sometimes both together.

The fish are from Hans. After going through my last bought of illness, I've finished sterilizing everything and have determined that I will only keep stendker discus. Here are some pics of the rest of the batch.

MKD
03-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Very nice Don . I really like the look of tank and discus.

Phillydubs
03-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Love it Don! Just love it! I am not sure if you posted what it looked like before but to me the less is more look is quite appealing.. It looks fresh, crisp and clean!

Thanks for sharinG!!

Altum Nut
03-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Really striking Don...
I like everything about it from the acrylic tank, 3d back, clean layout and some dammmm good looking Discus.
You hit this one out of the park my friend.

...Ralph

farebox
03-19-2016, 08:17 PM
Hey Don, love that tank, man it looks damn good. I am jealous, wish that were my tank sitting in my living room! Love it, don't change a thing my friend.....

rickztahone
03-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Very nice looking tank. I'm in the camp 'less is more' and this is right up my alley

jmf3460
03-19-2016, 10:29 PM
very nice tank Don. the Acrylic is perfectly clear and flawless. very good job. the discus are th main event in this tank and the minimal decorations really help to make the discus pop. the background, is that the thin flexible material like pat uses? the spraybars look good in their respected corners and by making them come towards you, they are less visible. great tank

Dhavalsp
03-19-2016, 11:11 PM
love it...you got some great discus over there...

Akili
03-20-2016, 03:52 AM
Very nice collection and tank setup.Thanks for sharing!

walt
03-20-2016, 07:51 AM
Tank looks great the background very nice where did u get it? I only keep stendker discus I added a different type and had some problems. Now when I get an order from Hans I don't QT add it right in never had a problem.

DonMD
03-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone for all your great comments. The background and the rocks come from universalrocks.com, it's the thin rocky background. Mine has some magnets glued into the back along the top, and they sent loose magnets to put on the outside of the tank opposite the glued on magnets. It mostly works, but now they've gone to a different type of holder, don't think it would work on my tank. If you want to buy one of these backgrounds, check with them on how they affix to the back wall first. Otherwise, they are superb for looks and durability.

Thanks for looking. -Don

walt
03-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Don what size are the new discus?

DonMD
03-20-2016, 11:07 AM
Don what size are the new discus?

One is a jumbo, the Stendker Tefe, it's over 7 inches. All the others are 6 inches or better.

Len
03-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Great looking setup Don and some fantastic looking fish.

alcastro
03-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Great looking tank and fish Don, makes me want to build a new one.

Disgirl
03-20-2016, 07:43 PM
That is a well done and very beautiful tank Don! You must be getting great enjoyment out of it. The discus are just gorgeous.
Barb

DonMD
03-20-2016, 07:57 PM
That is a well done and very beautiful tank Don! You must be getting great enjoyment out of it. The discus are just gorgeous.
Barb

Thanks, Barb. Not shown are two pair in the basement, staring at some of your cones! LOL. They better get busy.

rickztahone
03-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Don, I checked out that website and it looks like a great company. Furthermore, they are the only ones I have seen that sell drop off tanks! To boot, they are AIO's! Pretty sweet. If I wasn't so invested in this 22g, I would probably have gone that route.

dadecountyalan
03-21-2016, 01:29 AM
a tank to be proud of

Filip
03-21-2016, 05:31 AM
Very nice biotop look Don and beautiful Discus.
The background has very realistic 3D look.
Its amazing how different your LSS's appears with different light.You can have tottaly different coulour of fish by just switching Leds . Every now and then , when you get bored you just change the colours :).

Offtopic of your Tank intro , I would like to hear your bitter experience with mixing sources of discus.
Did you have problems only on introduction of new fish(first few weeks), or were they reoccurring and long term issues.

DonMD
03-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Offtopic of your Tank intro , I would like to hear your bitter experience with mixing sources of discus.
Did you have problems only on introduction of new fish(first few weeks), or were they reoccurring and long term issues.

I purchased discus from another source and quarantined them for 2 months. I also bought some cories and plecos, and quarantined them with the non-stendker fish. After two months they all seemed fine, and so I mixed the stock. But then they began to show signs of disease, basically just lethargy and not eating. I took some samples to an aquatic veterinarian who scoped them and determined that they had cryptobia.

I now believe that cryptobia can reside in normal-looking fish for a long time before showing symptoms, which makes quarantine ineffective. So, after sterilizing everything, I bought just Stendker fish, and don't plan on introducing anything else. -Don

donnacona
03-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Where did you get the driftwood it is very nice and what I would like to have.
Stu

DonMD
03-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Where did you get the driftwood it is very nice and what I would like to have.
Stu

Got it with a local fish club group buy from manzanita.com. Click on "aquarium wood" on the left side menu bar, then "large stumps and special pieces." Once there, try the different pages for various pieces.

CrazyAngels
03-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Congrats Don, I really love your setup..