View Full Version : lowering ph

dave1977
03-20-2016, 06:37 AM
how to lower the ph mine when i got it tested was between 7.6 to 7.8

but regular water changes wount lower the ph

any way round this

Akili
03-20-2016, 07:14 AM
Is that pH of the tank? What is the pH of tap water? Take a bucket and fill it up and measure the pH after 24 hours and lastly Why do need to lower pH. your pH is quite fine to raise domestic Discus. Lower pH is recommended for wilds and in some case with breeding pairs. I have the same pH as yours and my fish are doing in all five tanks.

dave1977
03-20-2016, 07:20 AM
thats the ph of the water i want to breed discus and the eggs i dont think will live in a ph of 7.6

dave1977
03-20-2016, 07:30 AM
was thinking bout a ro filter system i do add aquarium salt which buffers the water

Second Hand Pat
03-20-2016, 07:57 AM
Hi Dave, eggs will do fine in a ph of 7.6. What you really need is soft water. Target a GH of about 70 ppm. No need to add aquarium salt to the water. I would suggest quit adding the salt and see if that is enough to help with the eggs hatching. Note that there are other reasons that eggs may not hatch such as immature male, two females, diet etc.
Pat

Akili
03-20-2016, 08:07 AM
was thinking bout a ro filter system i do add aquarium salt which buffers the waterIf you have a breeding pair then get a Reverse Osmosis unit. When you start mixing R O water with Tap water you find the pH going down. One also has to be carefully how much pH to drop.Aquarium salt is not idea Use Kent Discus Essentials for trace elements and R O right.
Here is good thread on mixing R O water. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?25733-DO-NOT-USE-STRAIGHT-RO-WATER!!

Len
03-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Before spending money on an RO unit that you may not need, post what your water hardness is now. For the record though, the salt you are adding isn't buffering anything, but rather just adding things you don't need or want in your tank.