PDA

View Full Version : How long does a discus need to get stunted?

Martox
03-20-2016, 10:37 AM
If I were to see about 10 2-3 inch discus in a 20gal tank at the aquarium how long can they be in there before I should stop considering taking them home? There's hardly any vendors in my area so I am really a beggar with no choice.

ericNH
03-20-2016, 11:05 AM
I get the feeling that you've already made up your mind about picking up some of those lfs discus. There are several sponsors on this site that will ship discus to you - if you were truly interested in looking for the best possible outcome you would consider going to one of these sponsors instead of taking a chance on your lfs.

That said, I feel that lfs discus are not always bad. I started out with lfs discus, and 3 of the 6 I currently have were from those early days when I purchased my discus from the lfs. Now to answer your question, which is tough, I would say rather than using time in their tank ast a factor, use your eyes and your judgment. Are those discus active? Do they look healthy and alert? Are the discus shy and skittish or do they seem comfortable in their surroundings? Are their fins erect and splayed out or are they clamped? Do the other tanks kept by this lfs look well-kept?

I can't give you an exact time period to anser your question because there are too many unknown variables. How old were the fish when the lfs got them? What is the lfs feeding them and how often? Etc.

Good luck, I hope you reach a resolution that suits your situation.

Akili
03-20-2016, 11:11 AM
If I were to see about 10 2-3 inch discus in a 20 litre tank at the aquarium how long can they be in there before I should stop considering taking them home? There's hardly any vendors in my area so I am really a beggar with no choice. 10 2-3 inch discus in a 20 litre tank is not very good, I would not consider any and since you have a limited choice look to purchase as outlined by Discuspaul here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Martox
03-20-2016, 11:59 AM
10 2-3 inch discus in a 20 litre tank is not very good, I would not consider any and since you have a limited choice look to purchase as outlined by Discuspaul here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Sorry mate, I meant gallons not litres but I appreciate both your replies.

Las Vegas
03-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Hi Martox, I've bought a few Discus from LFS. And i've had no problems. If your desion is to buy from there then just do it. A LFS is into selling first then care. So the amount of Discus in a small tank would be considered by discus keepers wrong or bad. Just look the discus over very carefully. If you see any that are stressed, don't buy it. If you see any signs of white spots or ick, definately don't buy any. If the discus look healthy and will quickly respond to the top like your gonna feed them, their probably ok to buy. A stunted young discus will look unhealthy, skinny, dark, big eyes compared to its body size. Also try to avoid any that look like they have a pointed shape like the front of a football. Rounded is best. If you decide to get the Discus, the care you give them will determine how nicely they will look as they mature. Plenty of protein type foods and even more important is the water changes and conditions. You can spend a lot of money on so called "quality discus" or a little on "LFS" but if the care and commitment is not there, then no matter what the price and type of discus is there, they will become sick and or die. Goodluck.

Akili
03-20-2016, 04:27 PM
Have you searched in gumtree.com.au/s-melbourne. I see some nice Discus listed.

delta5
03-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Hi Martox, I've bought a few Discus from LFS. And i've had no problems. If your desion is to buy from there then just do it. A LFS is into selling first then care. So the amount of Discus in a small tank would be considered by discus keepers wrong or bad. Just look the discus over very carefully. If you see any that are stressed, don't buy it. If you see any signs of white spots or ick, definately don't buy any. If the discus look healthy and will quickly respond to the top like your gonna feed them, their probably ok to buy. A stunted young discus will look unhealthy, skinny, dark, big eyes compared to its body size. Also try to avoid any that look like they have a pointed shape like the front of a football. Rounded is best. If you decide to get the Discus, the care you give them will determine how nicely they will look as they mature. Plenty of protein type foods and even more important is the water changes and conditions. You can spend a lot of money on so called "quality discus" or a little on "LFS" but if the care and commitment is not there, then no matter what the price and type of discus is there, they will become sick and or die. Goodluck.

100% agree.