PDA

View Full Version : The old 'white feces' issue.

kilnakorr
03-22-2016, 03:00 PM
I have just removed a bully from the tank and seen my other discus for a long time, as they have been hiding in the back of the tank.
I noticed one of them having white feces hanging (see pic.)
I am unsure how long this has been going on, so my question is:
Should I wait and see if removing the bully and good clean water will be enough? (doing 40-50% WC every other day)
Or should I start meds (correct me if this is not hex) as I'm unsure how long the poor fellow has been like this?

LizStreithorst
03-22-2016, 05:03 PM
I say it's hex. Put all the fish in a BB tank and treat them with Metro at 400 mg per 10 gallons for 12 days.

kilnakorr
03-22-2016, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I already have meds for hex. However the guidance on the product (esha hexamita) is a 3-day treatment. Seems like a big difference 3 or 10 days. Should I follow the guidance or is a treatment over a longer period better?

rickztahone
03-22-2016, 05:59 PM
I have done it in 10day intervals with 2x WC's a day and redosing on the midday water change.

kilnakorr
03-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Rick, what dosis? Guidance says 25 drops per x gl first day. 2nd and 3rd day 12 drops. Should I just continue for 10 days with the 12 drops and WC?

rickztahone
03-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Drops? I have never used drops. The metro I have used has always been a powder

LizStreithorst
03-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Same here. Rocardo. 100% metronidazole powder.

Disgirl
03-22-2016, 10:00 PM
I see he is in Denmark, so he will need different dosages for what med he has. Can we help him?
Barb

kilnakorr
03-23-2016, 02:05 AM
That's often a problem not living in the US. A lot of things aren't available unless you pay huge shipping costs and can wait a few weeks. I will start up as instructions says and just keep an hopefully it will work as intended. Maybe I should see if I can some metro just in case.

Disgirl
03-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Just trying to help you. Do 10 days of treatment, 12 drops per day, but do a 50% water change each day before you put in the drops. Hex medicine is mild enough to do this. Can you tell what the medicine is, written on the bottle or package?
Barb

rickztahone
03-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Your best bet will be trying to get some dry form Metro. I am wracking my brains to remember if we have a member in Denmark that may know but I am drawing a blank.

kilnakorr
03-24-2016, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the input guys (and girls).
I found an old thread here on the forum about the ingridents. Which is not written on the bottle or on the online specification sheets..
Here's the thread for those interested: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?70884-Ingredients-in-Esha-Hexamita

@Disgirl - I wonder if 12 drops for 10 days is overkill - that is about 3 times the recommended dose. I will however try and whats for any progress and continue the treatment if I haven't seen the any results.
I add the second dose of last night just after the moonlight came on and it looked kinda cool.. I will call this picture 'hex by night' :)

kilnakorr
03-24-2016, 02:35 PM
A few follow up questions:
I've read several places that increasing temp is also a good thing when dealing with hex. I've read from 90-96 F.
Should I raise the temperature while doing the treatment. And will 90 degrees have any effect or should it go to 96 before it has any effect on hex?

LizStreithorst
03-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Most heaters won't reach 90 but if yours will, go for it. Add more air because hot water contains less O2 than cooler water. I'd feel comfortable going as high as 92. Higher than that I think it would be too stressful to the fish (I could be wrong). There is no doubt that hex has a hard time coping with high temps.

As for dosage, the dosage on most labels is way low...so low that the parasites can handle it. Hope this helps.

kilnakorr
03-24-2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks for that reply. My heater wil easily go 92 F. Just need to go see if I can find and airpump in the shed. Haven't used one for ages. I do belive I have an internal filter that can suck in air also though, so might add that one.

I hope the other inhabitants can cope with the higher temps, but if not so be it.

rickztahone
03-24-2016, 07:39 PM
You will need the air line for sure or they will be gasping for air in a few hours.

kilnakorr
03-25-2016, 04:58 AM
I actually turned of the air intake on the filter as it was really noisy. The temp is 91 now and no inhabitants show lack of oxygen. The minor fish are still cruising the bottom area and discus are eating a bit. Maybe the plants are still producing enough oxygen. I have no problem adding an airstone during daytime but I need to sleep at night. Would it be good to add it during the daytime only or will adding air on and off be a bad thing?

Hopefully I can manage the noise. Added the air. Thinking the discus might survive but don't want them gasping for air while fighting parasites. Had a few connectors so have 3 airstone in the tank spread out a little.

Update on the hex treatment. I still saw white poo this morning so 3 days treatment wasn't enough as some has already expected. Will continue meds and hopefully the higher temp will help speed up recovery.

kilnakorr
03-25-2016, 01:12 PM
OMG. I did the WC before adding the meds and was wondering why the water didn't feel as warm as I would expect at 92 F. Checked the fancy digital thermometer that was rather expensive. Showed 92F. Used and old school thermometer 82F....Grapped a new un-used cookin thermometer..82F.
Which means I just cranked up the temp too 82F!!! No wonder the fish are having problems. So now I've turned up the heat and hopefully this will help.

kilnakorr
04-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Quick update:

After having the heat turned up to just above 90 F, all the discus execept one has been cured.
After just 2 days they all started eating like crazy and feces was back to normal.

The last discus was put in Q tank and heat turned up to about 94 F for 5 days. The white feces has stopped but it still doesn't eat. Will give it a few days but looks like next step is to put it down.

LizStreithorst
04-05-2016, 05:49 PM
I have heard that high heat alone would cure hex. Keep the heat treatment up for a while longer. You do not want this to recur.