PDA

View Full Version : Heater watts needed for a 220 gallon tank

Jayy
03-22-2016, 10:39 PM
My 220 gallon has been up and running for a few days now. The water was under 50 degrees when I added it and it climbed to 79 degrees. But for the last 2 days it's stayed right at 79 degrees.

I have two 300-watt heaters, a 250-watt heater, and a pump that puts out 130 watts of heat in this tank. All 3 heaters are connected to a controller. Every time I look at the controller the heat light is on, and the heat light is on all 3 of the heaters.

I am amazed that all 3 of these heaters can't get my water up to 84 degrees. Ambient air temps range from 65 degrees overnight to about 72 degrees.

Those of you who have bigger tanks in the 200 gallon range, how many watts of heating are you using?

Altum Nut
03-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Jay...I can't see how all 3 heaters you have cannot get tank temps to 82F.
Are they new heaters and what brand?
Can one controller run different wattage heaters to their capability?
Where is the tank located ?
You may want to consider styro sheets surrounding back and sides only leaving front open and some tight fit glass lids for the top.
I only have one 250w Jager that heats my 112g and keeps it at 81-82F.

...Ralph

Jayy
03-22-2016, 11:20 PM
Jay...I can't see how all 3 heaters you have cannot get tank temps to 82F.
Are they new heaters and what brand?
Can one controller run different wattage heaters to their capability?
Where is the tank located ?
You may want to consider styro sheets surrounding back and sides only leaving front open and some tight fit glass lids for the top.
I only have one 250w Jager that heats my 112g and keeps it at 81-82F.

...Ralph

The two 300 watt heaters are brand new Jager units. I bought them specifically for this tank. The 250 watt is a used heater I had on hand which I added to help bring up the temp quicker.

I think you may be right that the controller is causing my problem. I bought this tank used at auction and this controller came with the tank. I am going to pick up a better controller with an LCD readout. In the meantime I am going to plug the heaters directly into the power strip and see if I can get the heat to climb.

Jayy
03-22-2016, 11:43 PM
I just remembered that I already have a Inkbird temp controller that I bought a while ago but haven't used. I'll have to wire it up myself but it should work great. Here is the product if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OXPE8U6/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_NcH8wb1X8XQVX

Sergey
03-23-2016, 03:56 PM
...and the heat light is on all 3 of the heaters...

Feel all the heaters and see if they are actually warm. I have a 300W Jager that turns on the light but the heating element stays cold.

Sergey

pitdogg2
03-23-2016, 04:22 PM
The two 300 watt heaters are brand new Jager units.

I had bought the new Ehiem-Jagers and they are junk. I had ALL of mine within a year fried out the light worked but you could hold the heater in your hand out of water and never get warm or hot. I got replacements but within 6 months same had happened. I got an old one that is 30yrs old works fine and always has, I so wanted the newer version to work as I really like the red ring to make it very accurate. I went back to Aqueon heaters as they are what the Marineland heaters should of been. Never a problem with them

rickztahone
03-23-2016, 08:25 PM
I had bought the new Ehiem-Jagers and they are junk. I had ALL of mine within a year fried out the light worked but you could hold the heater in your hand out of water and never get warm or hot. I got replacements but within 6 months same had happened. I got an old one that is 30yrs old works fine and always has, I so wanted the newer version to work as I really like the red ring to make it very accurate. I went back to Aqueon heaters as they are what the Marineland heaters should of been. Never a problem with them

Why would you have the heater on out of water? Or was that a typo?

Alight
03-23-2016, 10:21 PM
I had the same problem with a batch of the Ehiem-Jager heaters. They gave out immediately or within a few weeks. I got them from Ken's fish, and me made good on it. I got a new batch of them, and every one is still working great more than a year later. I think this was just a one off thing for them and they have got the good things going again. I still wish that they would sell just the suction cups for their holders. The new ones are somewhat better, but still go bad after a year or so.

Cosmo
03-23-2016, 10:31 PM
I always figure 5 watts of heater per gallon of water, hence in my 180 gal I have 3 x 300 watt heaters and my temp stays pretty rock solid. Using that forumla you'd be looking at about 1100 watts of heater for a 220. The three heaters I use are Eheim Jagers slaved to a Jehmco ETC1 controller. When using Jager's remember the temp on the top ring is basically for reference only, it is NOT the actual temp the heater will hold at - I turn mine all the way up since the max temp of a Jager is about 93 degrees and the fish can handle that if the controller should fail (which is unlikely) - you want the heaters kicking in when the controller tells them to.

There are a couple of other variables you need to take into account though. Most importantly, the ambient temperature of the room the tank is in. If the room temp is 70 degrees and you've set your water temp to 82, your heaters are trying to heat the entire room, which is an expensive losing battle. If the room temp is 85, your heaters won't really have to work much at all. It's a trade off - lower room temp = greater heater requirement and use. Another factor is an acrylic tank will hold heat better than glass tanks do. You have to look at the entire picture.

PS. I hear horror stories from people all the time about Eheim heaters, and, when they first bought out Jager they had problems. Since then though I've never had a problem with one.. lucky I guess. If you're using the top ring to set your temp, you're supposed to calibrate it using an external temp gauge.. rinky dink I think, but I never use the rings.

pitdogg2
03-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Why would you have the heater on out of water? Or was that a typo?

To see if it would get hot silly it was not a typo. The last thing you want to do is have a short in water with your arm up to the pit in water.....been there done that it hurts.

The light was on but the element was not.

pitdogg2
03-24-2016, 11:33 AM
. I got a new batch of them, and every one is still working great more than a year later. I think this was just a one off thing for them and they have got the good things going again. I still wish that they would sell just the suction cups for their holders. The new ones are somewhat better, but still go bad after a year or so.

think again the longest I got one to work was 3yrs DO NOT TRUST THEM!! I tried them more than once ALL had the same problem from many different sellers.

I gave up on their suction cups I use the magnetic ones from ZOO med or buy Visi-therm suction cups.

Cosmo
03-24-2016, 11:49 AM
To see if it would get hot silly it was not a typo. The last thing you want to do is have a short in water with your arm up to the pit in water.....been there done that it hurts.

The light was on but the element was not.

Eheim Jagers have an auto low level (water) shutoff that turns off the heater when the water level is too low. If you removed the heater from the water then of course it would not get hot

pitdogg2
03-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Eheim Jagers have an auto low level (water) shutoff that turns off the heater when the water level is too low. If you removed the heater from the water then of course it would not get hot
very familiar and no this was not the problem because that would shut off light and all. It takes more than 2 minutes for that to kick in...ask me how I know:)

I first noticed they were not working because my tank was 75* and the light was on in the tank. They never wavered more tan 1* when they worked.

Come on guys give me some credit here been doing this since before they had submersible heaters good grief

pitdogg2
03-24-2016, 12:21 PM
If you're using the top ring to set your temp, you're supposed to calibrate it using an external temp gauge.. rinky dink I think, but I never use the rings.

Yes I use calibrated electronic thermometers + and old accurate glass thermometer to double check. My heaters I used the rinky dink red ring to calibrate so to speak just for reference.

Darrell Ward
03-24-2016, 06:41 PM
I ran one Jager 300 watt heater in the sump of my 240 gal. for years with a water temp. of 84 F. I also ran a 300 watt Jager in a 150 gal. for about 5 years before I sold the tank. I always ignored the "rinky dink red ring", and just adjusted them a one stop either way until I got the temp. I wanted. Worked for me. I never understood why it was said you needed a 1000 watts or more to keep a larger tank at an even temp. I've never found that to be the case at all.

rickztahone
03-24-2016, 07:35 PM
very familiar and no this was not the problem because that would shut off light and all. It takes more than 2 minutes for that to kick in...ask me how I know:)

I first noticed they were not working because my tank was 75* and the light was on in the tank. They never wavered more tan 1* when they worked.

Come on guys give me some credit here been doing this since before they had submersible heaters good grief

:laugh: Credit given ;)

DJW
03-24-2016, 07:39 PM
... unless you have a drafty old uninsulated Victorian farmhouse with a woodstove that goes out in the middle of the night. I would need at least 1000 watts in that tank. :)

Jayy
03-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Ok, after tossing out the cheap controller that came with the tank my temp climbed to 83 degrees within a few short hours and is holding steady there. I have all 3 heaters plugged in directly to a power strip now. I bumped the temp rings up slightly, and it looks like they need to go up a bit more.

If I can fit it in between easter activities with the kids and fixing my VW I am going to rig up that controller I linked to earlier. Then I'll turn the heaters up to about 90 and set the temp controller to 85 and see how that goes. It's a sweet unit, it includes a circuit for the heater and has a separate circuit for a chiller (which I won't need). I can set an upper and lower range it it will keep temps between that range. If temps go above or below it will sound an audible alarm. And it has a digital temp display.

DJW
03-26-2016, 11:26 AM
I didn't know there was a new Fahrenheit version of the STC-1000 controller. It looks like the Fahrenheit ITC-1000 has only been out for a year or so.

Be careful when you order these. I needed a few more and ordered three of them, then later realized they were being shipped clear from China. It took over a month for them to arrive.

Jayy
03-26-2016, 11:29 AM
I didn't know there was a new Fahrenheit version of the STC-1000 controller. It looks like the Fahrenheit ITC-1000 has only been out for a year or so.

Be careful when you order these. I needed a few more and ordered three of them, then later realized they were being shipped clear from China. It took over a month for them to arrive.

I originally ordered this one several months ago planning on building a kegerator. It's just been sitting around. Amazon prime shipping is the way to go, 2 days from order to door. Amazon also sells power cords, or you can sacrifice an old power cord if you have one laying around from a computer or AC adapter etc. I went to radio shack and bought a project box. Just a plastic box to enclose everything. I plan to dremel out an opening for the digital display to show through.

DJW
03-26-2016, 11:56 AM
It was Amazon and still came from China.

Jayy
03-26-2016, 12:19 PM
It was Amazon and still came from China.

I've ordered stuff from amazon that came from China as well, but if you use Amazon prime it guarantees 2 day shipping so it's an easy way to know whether it's coming from China or not.

DJW
03-26-2016, 12:26 PM
I've ordered stuff from amazon that came from China as well, but if you use Amazon prime it guarantees 2 day shipping so it's an easy way to know whether it's coming from China or not.

That's where it gets complicated. If I order stuff through Amazon Prime my wife gets the email...

Jayy
03-26-2016, 12:29 PM
That's where it gets complicated. If I order stuff through Amazon Prime my wife gets the email...

Ah, I see haha. If my wife got the email for half the stuff I buy I'd be in hot water myself.