PDA

View Full Version : Recipes - I am SOOOOO hungry!

rickztahone
03-24-2016, 07:27 PM
Missed my lunch break. If I could eat anything right now, I could go for a nice club sandwhich with a coke.

If you could have anything to eat right now, what would it be?

Edit 04/05/16:
Since the creation of this thread, it evolved in to a recipes thread as well. The following are ALL the recipes included in this thread.

This will be the format for each recipe

-Title of Recipe
-Who wrote the recipe
-A link to the actual place in the thread where you can find the recipe

-The recipe itself

Here we go:

-Scallops Vera Cruz!
-Paul (discuspaul)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1206862&viewfull=1#post1206862

-If you love scallops, here's a must try recipe for Scallops Vera Cruz ! -
The secret is in the very simple, but delicious Cool Green Chili Sauce:

Here's what you'll need:
- 4 to 6 Jumbo Sea Scallops per person - (try this for 4 persons - so, say 20 Scallops)

Rub for the Scallops:
- 1/2 tspn or so, each of:
- Chili Powder
- Paprika
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Cumin
- Dried oregano

Green Chili Sauce:
- 1 large Anaheim Pepper (or Poblano Pepper)
- 2 green onions roughly chopped (root ends discarded)
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley ( or cilantro if preferred)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lime and it's juice
-1/4 tspn. kosher salt

Anaheim ( or Poblano) Pepper:
- slice out the stem end - cut in half lenfthwise - discard interior ribbing & seeds - lightly oil the Pepper and place both halves skin side up on an oven proof tray and bake @ 400 for approx. 15 mins. or so until somewhat blackened (Turn on broiler element for last 2 mins. to hasten/finish the blackening).
Place the Pepper halves in a paper bag to cool, then remove meat from outer blackened skin(discard skin) & roughly chop up the pepper meat.

Place the baked Pepper parts along with all the other sauce ingredients (green onions, garlic, parsley, sour cream, mayo, lime zest & juice, salt) in a food processor or blender, & process to make a fairly smooth sauce - & refrigerate till ready to plate with the sautéed jumbo scallops.
(Add a little water or lime juice if sauce is too thick).

Pan-fry the scallops (coated with the above rub) over med-high heat (in a bit of veg oil & butter) until well-browned, turn over and brown the other side. (2-3 minutes or so each side).
Place a heaping spoonful of the refrigerated chili sauce unto each plate & spread around sufficiently to accommodate placing the 5 scallops for each person unto the sauce.

Serve with cooked basmati rice & whatever favorite side veg dishes you might want - along with a glass of chilled white wine, and enjoy !! Try it, you'll love it & want to have it again - guaranteed !

addendum: Paul went on to say this later:
Quick note for all of you who want to try the Scallops recipe, and may not know that most scallops (whether fresh or frozen) still have a small tough muscle piece attached to the side of each scallop - you can't miss it - they should be removed & discarded. Some scallop packers remove them for sale, but it seems most do not.

----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------

-Boiled Peanuts
-Matt (Discus-n00b)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1206908&viewfull=1#post1206908

-Oh I don't cook them myself usually. I stop at one of the many little roadside stands people setup out of the back of their truck and get them, like you'd do with fruit or firewood. Not sketchy at all! They'll usually be in a ziploc or small paper bag. Caviar of the south!

All you need is water, salt, and raw in-shell peanuts! Salt amount varies, I've seen 1/2 cup all the way up close to 2 cups (I think this is generally for 3-5lbs raw peanuts). I prefer them salty, it would be regret if you go to eat them and they are not salty enough. Depends on pot size, how much you are cooking at once, and amount of water I guess. You can always change it up during the process as you will be cooking for ~3 hours probably (give or take depending on freshness of peanuts). Scoop some out while they are cooking, you need to check tenderness anyway, check salt while you are at it!

It really is a pretty tailor made process for each person. People add salt at certain times, people boil at certain times, etc but the general process is:
-Take your peanuts, rinse/wash them until water runs clear
-Add them to a pot with plenty of water and mix in your salt (some people soak/brine their peanuts before this as well)
-Bring to boil then simmer for around ~3-4 hours stirring every so often and top off any water
-Remove once peanuts and shells are soft
-Drain then eat and enjoy warm or cold!

I know some people don't add their salt and seasonings until about halfway through when the shells and nuts start getting soft. You can add any seasoning you want. Cajun flavored is becoming popular, add some spice to it. I prefer plain ones myself, just salt for me. Not a very technical guide but like I said, people vary it so much that it really is a fluid process.

----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------

-Meat Loaf
-Liz (LizStreithorst)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1206935&viewfull=1#post1206935

-Mix together 3/4 lb ground chuck, 1/4 lb ground pork (I often use choriso or Ctalian sausage instead), 1/2 c onion, 1/2c green pepper, 1/3 c quick cooking oatmeal, 8 oz salsa, and 1 egg. form into loaf.
For topping mix together 1/3 c ketchup, 2 tablesppons brown sugar, 1 tablespook good mustard. Slather over top of loaf and bake at 375 for 1 hour.

-Bavarian Pot Roast
-Liz (LizStreithorst)
-http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1207064&viewfull=1#post1207064

-Bavarian Pot Roast:

Brown a 3 lb chuck roast in 2 T oil
combine 1 1/4 c water, 3/4 c good dark beer, 8 oz tomato sauce, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 T sugar, 1 T vinegar, 2 t salt, 1 t ground cinnamon, 1/2 t ground ginger, 1 bay leaf. Pour over meat and bring to a boil
Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hrs until meat is tender. Remove bay leaf. thicken sauce with corn starch mixed with water if necessary

This is easy as can be and absolutely to die for. Freezes well, too.

-Jambalaya
-Liz (LizStreithorst)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1207070&viewfull=1#post1207070

-Jambalaya:

Preheat oven to 350.
Pat dry 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs in 2 T oil and remove. Add 1 lb anadoullie sausage or other cajun sausage, 1 lg chopped onion, 2 ribs diced delery, 1/2 red and 1/2 green pepper diced, 1/2 t dry thyme, 1/4 t marjoram,1/4 t paprika, 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t cayenne. Cook till onions are tender add 1 1/2 c raw rice, one can diced tomatoes with juice, 2 c home made seafood stock and bring to a boil.
dump it into a large casserole, top with chicken, cover and bake 40 min or until rice is tender. Take out of oven and stir in 1/2 lb shrimp and 2 T chopped green onions, cover and put back in oven for 5 to 7 minutes until shrimp turns pink.

This makes enough to feed an army. I generally cut the recipe in half and still have several meals plus extra to freeze. I was surprised that it does freeze well. When I reheat it, I remove the shrimp and warm it covered over a low flame and add the shrimp back in when it's hot so as not to turn the shrimp rubbery.

There's a good bit of prep work involved but it comes together fast if you have all your spices already measured out and all the chopping and dicing done in advance.

-Cannelloni
-Paul (discuspaul)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1207190&viewfull=1#post1207190

-CANNELLONI

The "Queen Mother" of all pastas - Simply Delicious
!
Cannelloni Wraps - (The Pasta itself):

Most people use store-bought cannelloni 'tubes' (brands: Barilla, Primo, Kraft - whatever). Many are sold as being "Oven-Ready" - but don't be fooled - they may turn out too hard after baking. Partially pre-boil the tubes in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes to soften them up. Remove from water and allow them to cool before filling.

Other options are to use fresh large, flat, thin sheets of Lasagna pasta, cut to the size you wish, and rolled up after filling. Similarly, one can also use wonton wrappers, rolled up after filling. (No pre-boiling needed in either case).

The Cannelloni Filling Ingredients - (Will make approx. 2 dozen or more cannellonis - freeze whatever you don't use initially. Note: A box of cannelloni tubes usually contains around 24 tubes.)

- Approx. 3/4 - 1 lb. ground veal, or beef, or pork, or any combination thereof, seasoned with S. & P., and 1/2 tspn. of ground nutmeg when cooking.
- 1 lb. carton of frozen spinach leaves, thawed, squeezed well to remove most excess water, and roughly chopped.
- 8 oz. (225 grams) carton of ricotta cheese, or cottage cheese, along with 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese (preferably Parmagiano Reggiano) .
- Approx. 1/3 cup of each of finely grated carrot, finely diced celery and finely diced onion, along with 2 finely minced garlic cloves.
- One egg, and 1/3 cup of chicken broth, or cream.
- Optional - 1/4 cup white wine.

Instructions:

In a suitably-sized stove-top saucepan, saute the seasoned ( s. & p. and nutmeg) meat in a dab of olive oil on medium heat for 5 minutes or so until cooked white, add the onions, carrot, celery, and garlic (and the white wine if using) and cook for a few more minutes until softened and mixed in well with the meat.

Allow this mixture to cool, then add the spinach, ricotta & parmesan cheeses, the egg, and the 1/3 cup of either chicken broth, or heavy cream, (as a moistening/flavoring agent), and mix all together well to produce a fairly soft filling mixture.

Fill all the cannelloni tubes with the filling mixture (rather loosely - not too heavily packed in), and place as many tubes as you wish for a meal (suggest 3 -4 tubes per person) in an ovenproof corning ware baking dish. First cover the bottom of the dish with a 1/4” layer of either milk, or cream. The dish should be just large enough to hold the number of tubes you are baking, loosely placed side by side. ( Any remaining filled tubes can be frozen in a zip lock bag for use on another occasion).

The White Sauce Topping: - Béchamel

- In a stovetop saucepan, on medium heat, place 1/4 cup of butter, melt, then add 1/4 cup of flour, whisk in well, and begin adding up to a cup or more of milk to make a very lightly thickened sauce, in which you then add 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, and 1/3 cup of other grated white cheese of your choice - (either Fontina - Provolone - Havarti, as examples) - and 1/2 tspn. nutmeg - and continue whisking on heat until the finished product is a relatively thin sauce.

You want to add sufficient milk to avoid a fairly thickened sauce so that the cannelloni, once baked, is still quite 'liquidy', and not partially dried out & curdly. This is important, as you want to ensure you have a wet, fairly runny sauce still remaining over the cannelloni tubes when done.

Allow the sauce to cool.

Pour the cooled sauce over the cannelloni tubes, and additionally drizzle 1/4 cup or so of cream (whipping cream or other) all over the top of the pasta dish. Then thinly sprinkle some more grated parmesan cheese on top.
(The sauce with the added cream, should be just enough to lightly cover the tubes.)

Bake @ 350 for approx. 30-40 minutes until bubbly & beginning to brown slightly on top. Enjoy!

Don't be intimidated by the recipe length or the seeming complexity of this dish. It's actually quite easy, and well worth every bit of time & effort that goes into it - guaranteed !

-"untitled"
-Liz (LizStreithorst)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1207309&viewfull=1#post1207309

-This is so good it shouldn't be this easy.

Slice an onion and put it in the bottom of a crock pot.
Season 4 bone in chicken thighs first with salt, then pepper, then paprika. (you can overdo the salt if you're too heavy handed but you cannot overdo the pepper and paprika). shake off the excesses seasoning.
Put thighs in crook pot. Pour in 1/2 c water. Cover and cook on high for 8 hrs.
Take chicken out and remove bones when it's cool enough.
Mix 3/4 c sour cream into liquid.
Thicken liquid with flour mixed with with water if necessary.
put chicken back in and mix it all well.

good over egg noodles or rice.

-"How to cook and clean a Dungeness crab"
-link provided by Paul (discuspaul) but YouTube recipe provider "Becky Selengut"

https://youtu.be/TY_xvzYGAWM

addendum: Paul went on to say this later:
Good for you - I use 3 different types of melted butter sauce for dipping the crab pieces into:
a) Lemon butter ( approx. equal parts melted butter and lemon juice)
b) White wine butter ( same mix ratio as above)
c) Garlic butter ( melted butter with finely chopped (or squeezed through a garlic press) garlic clove(s) - 1 or more
depending on your tastes.
Take your pick - they're all tasty - depends what your family likes. I sometimes add a couple of dabs of hot sauce to the melted butter I'm using.

-Marinade for grilled meats
-Paul (discuspaul)
-http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1207490&viewfull=1#post1207490

-Since you bring up the topic of 'steaks', and as warmer summer weather and great grilling time will soon be upon us, here's a simple but 'crazy good' marinade for grilled rib or loin lamb chops, pork chops, or new York or rib-eye steaks:

A couple of hours is enough time in this marinade (refrigerated in a zip-lock bag, turned over every once in a while) for any of those cuts of meats, but at least 4-6 hours, or longer, is better.

Just before grilling, remove any of the excess oil, herbs, & shallots/garlic from the meat surfaces with a paring knife.

Marinade - Mix well together:

- 1/3 - 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 heaping tspn. of "Keen's" hot mustard (Yes - hot mustard- not to worry, you won't even notice this 'heat' in your grilled meat)
- Approx. 1 tspn. each of - rosemary, thyme, summer savory, oregano, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper
- 1 small finely diced shallot
- 1-2 finely diced garlic cloves

I believe you'll love the flavor this marinade imparts to grilled meats.

-Chili Chicken Recipe
-Akili
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1207615&viewfull=1#post1207615

-Gave this one a try for the first time last night for dinner Chilli Chicken with Plain Rice.Have to admit the it was good but very hot,going to cut down the amount on the red chili powder and chilli sauce indicated in the recipe next time.
Chilli Chicken Recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
• Oil for deep frying
Marination
• 250 grams boneless chicken
• ½ tbsp. chilli sauce
• ½ tbsp. soya sauce
• ¼ tsp pepper powder
• ¾ tsp. vinegar
• 2 tbsps. Corn flour (1 tbsp more optional)
• 2 tbsp. plain flour / Maida (optional use to get a restaurant style chicken)
• ¼ tsp. red chili powder
• Salt little
• 1 small egg for ½ kg chicken (optional)
Seasoning
• ¾ tbsp. soya sauce
• 1 tsp chilli sauce
• ½ tsp. red chilli powder
• ½ tsp. sugar
Veggies
• 1 small onion thinly sliced
• ¾ tbsp. garlic
• ¼ cup cubed bell pepper / capsicum
• 1 to 2 green chilies slit and deseeded
• 1 sprig of spring onion chopped (optional)
• 4 to 5 leaves of celery chopped finely (optional)
• Spring onions for garnish
Instructions
1. Marinate chicken with chilli sauce, soya sauce, pepper powder and vinegar. Set aside for at least 45 minutes. 2 hours is best. Meanwhile you could chop your onions, bell pepper and make the sauce ready for seasoning.
2. Sprinkle corn flour on the chicken along with salt and mix well. If you like to have your chicken coated with crunchy flour like we get in restaurants, and then use 1 more tbsp. corn flour and 2 tbsp. plain flour. Add chili powder. If you wish to use egg, you can add it now. Mix well.
3. Prepare the sauce .Add ¾ tbsp. soya sauce, 1 tsp. chili sauce, ½ tsp. red chili powder and ½ tsp sugar (optional) to a bowl and mix well.
4. Heat oil in a pan and deep or shallow fry till the chicken is done. Keep stirring to fry evenly. Do not over fry, it tends to turn hard. It can also be grilled at 240 C for 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated oven.
5. When it is cooked, drain on a kitchen tissue.
6. Remove off excess oil from the pan just keep 2 spoons oil in the pan. Add garlic fry for about a min, add onions, capsicum, spring onions, and celery and green chilies and fry till they turn slightly soft for about a minute or so.
7. Pour the sauce that was prepared at step 3. Let the sauces bubble up well.
8. Add the fried chicken, sauté on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Serve chilli chicken hot as appetizer with fried rice or noodles.

-Mussels
-Paul (discuspaul)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1208370&viewfull=1#post1208370

-Okay then, let's just carry on in this lighter (than discus care) vein:

Did you know that fresh mussels are real good for you health-wise ( Omega 3 benefits - check it out) and available in many cities for ridiculously low prices ?
You can get many dozens of mussels for just a couple of $$ - 24 to 36 mussels per person will make a good meal and will cost no more than $2.-$3. a person, if that - AND they're very tasty steamed and much more tender than clams (which can be tough & rubbery, depending on the clams & how they're cooked).

Here's how to treat fresh live mussels:

Buy only fully closed mussels - if the shell is opened, tap it gently ( or a little harder) once or twice and if it doesn't close, don't buy it. Same procedure applies after you get them home & sit them in cold water just before cooking, do the following, and remove them from the water just before sautéing.

While they're soaking, you can pull away any 'beard' or 'whiskers' that might appear out of the rear shelling of the mussel when it's sitting in the cold water. You could also scrub the mussels with a brush if there is any extraneous material attached to the shell that should be removed, but this is not usually necessary.

The easy part:

In a large saucepan with accompanying lid that is large enough to hold all the mussels you'll be steaming, add a little oil and a couple of tbspns of butter over medium heat, and add a finely diced medium-sized shallot along with 1-3 finely diced garlic cloves.
Saute for a minute or two, then add a good heavy splash of white wine, along with the same amount of fresh whipping cream, some fresh lemon juice, and some freshly chopped parsley, a few dashes of hot sauce (or pepper flakes), some oregano, and a dash of sugar.
Stir together, add all the mussels that you've removed from the cold water bath, put the lid on the frypan, increase the heat a bit and sauté for 3-4 minutes or so at boiling point.

Tada, your mussels are done when they've all opened.

Serve them in soup bowls, with freshly cut large pieces of French baguette bread to soak up the juices, and a green salad if you wish.
A glass of cool white wine, and the deliciously tasty mussels will make a fine meal, rest assured.

-Gamma's shrimp (Pat's grandmother) Old family recipe
-Pat (Second Hand Pat)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1208539&viewfull=1#post1208539

-Gamma's shrimp (my grandmother)

Old family recipe

Several pounds of shrimp, best to use large shrimp with shell on.
White Vinegar
Salt
Celery Seed
Old Bay (optional)

Note here. Do not defrost the shrimp until you are almost ready to cook. Helps to keep the shrimp fresh.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1558/26216664936_918977a364.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FWFg7q)[/url] (https://flic.kr/p/FWFg7q)

In a pot large enough to boil several pounds of shrimp add enough water/vineger to cover the shrimp. You want a 60% vineger to 40% water. Add salt to the vineger/winter mix to taste. Bring to a boil. Once at a full, rolling boil, add the shrimp. Stir and add the celery seed, about two tablespoons or so (I do not measure so best guess :D). Stir the shrimp and cover for a minute or so. Leave the burner on high. Allow the shrimp to turn red.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1555/25969720440_7ccc1a939d.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FyRB7G) (https://flic.kr/p/FyRB7G)

You will want to test for the shrimp being done about once a minute. Remove a shrimp and cut the thick part with a knife. The shrimp will be done once the meat is white. Removed the shrimp from the pot and add to a serving dish. If you cover the shrimp it will cook a little more.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1703/26176315581_04ea4af61e.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FT7sDT) (https://flic.kr/p/FT7sDT)

If you wish to add Old Bay just before the shrimp is done you can remove the shrimp from the pot, save a bit of water and add back to the pot. Add a streamer to the bottom of the pot and add the shrimp on top and add a bunch of Old Bay and mix well. Allow the water to simmer finish cooking the shrimp. Continue to monitor the shrimp for being done. Shrimp cook quickly so closely monitor. Once done remove the shrimp and add to a serving dish. Enjoy.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1534/25969718040_d98fec337f.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FyRApj) (https://flic.kr/p/FyRApj)

-OSSO BUCO
-Paul (discuspaul)
[url]http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?123805-Recipes-I-am-SOOOOO-hungry!&p=1209155&viewfull=1#post1209155

Here's another Italian recipe you might like:

OSSO BUCO

It has been said that all Osso Buco recipes are not equal, and that Osso Buco can be either fabulous, or it can be decidedly mediocre.

I don't regard mine as fabulous, but to me this recipe for Osso Buco makes it the 'king' of traditional fine dining milanese dishes, with it's superb layering of flavors.

This recipe calls for horizontally cut slices of veal shank, approx. 1 inch thick, but beef shank can be substituted, and although the latter will not be fall off the bone tender` as veal shank will be, it will still `have that wonderful, meaty vegetable stew taste. But do try to get veal shank, even though it`s more expensive than beef - it will have a more appealing consistency.

Portions judging note: Since shank slices are from the tapered leg, slices will be of differing sizes, so if the slice is between 5 to 6 inches or so in diameter, 1 slice per person will do, whereas if the slices are under 4 inches in diameter, you`ll want 2 slices per person. You get the picture.

Serving note: Although optional, Osso Buco is generally served with a sprinkling of Gremolata over the top of each serving.
Gremolata is made with 2 T (tbspn.) of chopped parsley, 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 T of lemon juice, and one-half T. of grated lemon peel (zest).

INGREDIENTS FOR OSSO BUCO - (4 persons)

Veal Shanks as apportioned above
- 3-4 T of olive oil
- 2 T of butter
- 4 to 6 medium-sized shallots - halved, OR 2 dozen pearl onions with dry peeling removed.
- 1 half red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 third of a cup of dry sherry (or Marsala wine)
- 1 third of a cup of brandy or cognac ( may substitute white wine)
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T tomato paste
-1 t (teaspoon) each of rosemary & thyme, and 2 bay leaves
- 2cups chicken broth ( or veal or beef broth)
- 2 or 3 slices of either pork salt, pancetta, or bacon, cut into small pieces
- S & P to taste

Preparation:

Add 2 T of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season shanks with salt & pepper on both sides, and a light dusting of flour, then brown them on both sides. Remove the browned shanks to a platter.

In the same pan, reduce heat and add the other 2 T of olive oil and the butter. Add the shallots, or pearl onions, peppers, carrots, celery and garlic, along with the pork salt pieces, or the pancetta, or the bacon. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes to allow for slight browning of the pork and the veggies to release their juices. Add the sherry or marsala wine, and the brandy or white wine, stir in well and let simmer on low for 6-8 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, the tomato paste, the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf, and stir well.

Pour all of this into an oven-proof dutch oven or casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid, large enough to accommodate all of these ingredients plus, and then add in (either of) the chicken, veal or beef broth, along with adding back the browned meat shanks.

Bake in a 350 degree oven, covered the entire time, for 1 and a half to 2 hours, or more, to reach max fall off the bone tenderness. You may want, or need to, add in some cornstarch mixed with water at the last minute to thicken the sauce to desired consistency.

Serve with a sprinkling of the gremolata, mashed potatoes (or garlic mashed potatoes), and a robust red wine.

Hope you like it. Guests usually rave about it.

Wes
03-24-2016, 07:38 PM
fish sandwich :huh:

rickztahone
03-24-2016, 07:40 PM

:rolleyes2:

DJW
03-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Swiss Bockwurst and mustard.

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Shrimp and crab legs :D

rickztahone
03-24-2016, 07:52 PM

Oh yum! Can I switch my answer! lol. 30 more minutes and I go on my lunch break. Probably not a good idea to start this thread....:laugh:

Keith Perkins
03-24-2016, 08:16 PM
FDBWs of course.

Ps. - my two brandy old fashioned sweets with the 2 for 1 burgers special tonight may have influenced my answer.

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Oh yum! Can I switch my answer! lol. 30 more minutes and I go on my lunch break. Probably not a good idea to start this thread....:laugh:

Yup :p

Jack L
03-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Something that makes the flu go away

rickztahone
03-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Something that makes the flu go away

It isn't food, but Tequila helps with that!

Keith Perkins
03-24-2016, 09:40 PM
It isn't food, but Tequila helps with that!

Well it may not actually help, but it's guaranteed to not make you care so much.

discuspaul
03-24-2016, 09:45 PM
Ouch - hate to say this - it would 'break up' my diet for sure -but a 4" thick Montreal smoked meat sandwich on rye with real French Dijon mustard, and an ice cold beer would be fantastic !

alcastro
03-24-2016, 09:56 PM
The same i had last week.

Phillydubs
03-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Hot dog on a stick Venice beach style ??

rickztahone
03-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Hot dog on a stick Venice beach style ??

:laugh: good one.

Al, that lobster tail looks delicious! I'm glad I ate or else I'd be salivating all over my keyboard now

Paul, the way you described that made me hungry all over again!

Las Vegas
03-25-2016, 02:47 AM
I am Catholic, so I've been on the fast for the last few weeks. No flesh, except fish on fridays. Come this Sunday I'll celebrate the "Risen" and have me a Cheesburger, or rack of BBQ Ribs, or even a nice thick medium rare steak! Oh I can't wait!

Mugwump
03-25-2016, 09:50 AM
a potato chip sandwich with catsup........

LizStreithorst
03-25-2016, 03:24 PM
I am Catholic, so I've been on the fast for the last few weeks. No flesh, except fish on fridays. Come this Sunday I'll celebrate the "Risen" and have me a Cheesburger, or rack of BBQ Ribs, or even a nice thick medium rare steak! Oh I can't wait!

Why am I now surprised?

Woodduck
03-25-2016, 05:22 PM

+1 except all crab legs lol

rickztahone
03-25-2016, 06:28 PM
+1 except all crab legs lol

That's the best part! King Crab legs!

LizStreithorst
03-25-2016, 06:34 PM
I'll have that tomorrow. So delicious and so easy to prepare. The shells make a great stock that I use to make Jambalaya.

rickztahone
03-25-2016, 06:36 PM
I'll have that tomorrow. So delicious and so easy to prepare. The shells make a great stock that I use to make Jambalaya.

Speaking of Jambalaya, Crawfish! I could really go for some crawfish right now! Can you tell I love seafood? I've always wanted to go to San Francisco purely because of their seafood offerings.

LizStreithorst
03-25-2016, 07:05 PM
If you want good crawfish you need to come to Mississippi.

Las Vegas
03-25-2016, 07:05 PM
Why am I now surprised?

What exactly does that mean?

LizStreithorst
03-25-2016, 07:07 PM
It's a private joke between Mugwump and I. He things they're great and I accuse him of having no taste.

rickztahone
03-25-2016, 07:28 PM
If you want good crawfish you need to come to Mississippi.

That is something to definitey keep in mind. I thought Louisiana was the place to go to for crawfish. I want to use one of those huge 40g cooking pots!

discuspaul
03-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I also thought Louisiana was the place to get crawfish - wish we could get them here - never thought Mississippi would be in the mix- but hey, you never know till you you've been there - done that.
All I know is I love seafood of any kind - I have many seafood recipes- my favorites are Alaska King Crab Legs - scallops in particular - scallops vera cruz- (mexican) - Jumbo Chili Prawns (Thai) - also mussels & clams - but my number one favorite is Cioppino (Italian) or Bouillabaissse (French) - same thing - fish stew - but fabulous if done right !!
Making myself hungry !!

rickztahone
03-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I also thought Louisiana was the place to get crawfish - wish we could get them here - never thought Mississippi would be in the mix- but hey, you never know till you you've been there - done that.
All I know is I love seafood of any kind - I have many seafood recipes- my favorites are Alaska King Crab Legs - scallops in particular ( scallops vera cruz) - also mussels & clams - but my number one favorite is Cioppino (Italian) or Bouillabaissse (French) - same thing - fish stew - but fabulous if done right !!
Making myself hungry !!

I'll eat any seafood, and typically my wife will as well, but when I order the deep fried octopus, she does not part-take, lol.

Discus-n00b
03-25-2016, 09:05 PM
And here I am, state on the coast with a big seafood culture and not a huge fan of seafood....I do like the hush puppies though!!! Give me steak, all of the steaks. Raw to Medium rare, don't really care which cut. And it doesn't always have to be beef (love Bison). A big slab of London Broil or Prime Rib cut right off the bone would be excellent. Sides don't matter, any sort of potatoes/rice/etc and broccoli/asparagus/some type of green beans.

If we are talking snack though, it's hard to resist a bag of boiled peanuts bought from the side of the road. Pair it with some lemonade and you've made me happy.

discuspaul
03-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Good thread - wonder if it's appropriate to get something going again with recipes ? - I remember we did some neat things with recipes a while back - Brandon was involved - Liz got involved too, and she came up with a real good recipe, if I recall correctly.

rickztahone
03-25-2016, 09:16 PM
And here I am, state on the coast with a big seafood culture and not a huge fan of seafood....I do like the hush puppies though!!! Give me steak, all of the steaks. Raw to Medium rare, don't really care which cut. And it doesn't always have to be beef (love Bison). A big slab of London Broil or Prime Rib cut right off the bone would be excellent. Sides don't matter, any sort of potatoes/rice/etc and broccoli/asparagus/some type of green beans.

If we are talking snack though, it's hard to resist a bag of boiled peanuts bought from the side of the road. Pair it with some lemonade and you've made me happy.
Never tried boiled peanuts, and I believe I may have had a discussion with someone on the forum about them in the past. I have to try them sometime but no one offers it here in Cali :idea2:. Maybe I should get a boiled peanuts stand going!

Good thread - wonder if it's appropriate to get something going again with recipes ? - I remember we did some neat things with recipes a while back - Brandon was involved - Liz got involved too, and she came up with a real good recipe, if I recall correctly.

If you got the recipes, by all means, please share them. I learned to cook simply because A) My mom told me, every wife wants a husband who cooks, and B) I knew my kids would hate to eat scrambled eggs day in day out, lol. Not the greatest cook mind you, but I do love to cook. In fact, when Matt started talking about steaks, I remembered a medium rare stake I had after a photoshoot. It was a 30 day aged Domonico stake. Now I'm hungry all over again....

Discus-n00b
03-25-2016, 10:46 PM
Boiled peanuts are one of those things you either love or you hate, there is no grey area from everyone I've seen that try them. I might have some with me at NADA. Jim hooked me up with a bag from his house at the last NADA show because we were talking about it, I need to return the favor.

Hard to beat a legit Moroccan couscous plate or kebab in the country itself too. Not as easy to come by though.

Keith Perkins
03-25-2016, 11:32 PM
Since everyone's drooling over seafood, don't forget one of the two restaurants at the Westin where the NADA show is is Holy Mackerels.

mee
03-26-2016, 06:37 AM
Lau Lau, Real Lau Lau made by real Hawaiian's family style in Hawaii. Had decent Lau Lau outside Hawaii, but only because with the basic ingredients it will always be tasty... BUT, the real deal is the best food on this planet.

FYI my first job was an apprentice chef at an intercontinental in Mexico... so I know a thing or two about awesome food ;)

Close runner ups would be a good Mexican Cocktail with shrimp and abalone and big chunks of perfectly ripe Avocado in there. Or some good Ceviche.

My families traditional Borsht with huge pieces of beef and potato (hot not cold), topped with sour cream and some johnny's seasoning salt.

Crawfish boiled with corn and onions. We do them right in the NW too btw, and have some very clean rivers to get them from. Here in Japan unfortunately they have them, but almost always in not so clean ponds. Locals catch them for fun, but have no idea how tasty them critters are. Actually me and my son watched some high school girls catching them last week with dried squid strips, and then watched a crow steal the bag of squid. I helped scare it and they got the bag back =)

discuspaul
03-26-2016, 05:28 PM
If you love scallops, here's a must try recipe for Scallops Vera Cruz ! -
The secret is in the very simple, but delicious Cool Green Chili Sauce:

Here's what you'll need:
- 4 to 6 Jumbo Sea Scallops per person - (try this for 4 persons - so, say 20 Scallops)

Rub for the Scallops:
- 1/2 tspn or so, each of:
- Chili Powder
- Paprika
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Cumin
- Dried oregano

Green Chili Sauce:
- 1 large Anaheim Pepper (or Poblano Pepper)
- 2 green onions roughly chopped (root ends discarded)
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley ( or cilantro if preferred)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lime and it's juice
-1/4 tspn. kosher salt

Anaheim ( or Poblano) Pepper:
- slice out the stem end - cut in half lenfthwise - discard interior ribbing & seeds - lightly oil the Pepper and place both halves skin side up on an oven proof tray and bake @ 400 for approx. 15 mins. or so until somewhat blackened (Turn on broiler element for last 2 mins. to hasten/finish the blackening).
Place the Pepper halves in a paper bag to cool, then remove meat from outer blackened skin(discard skin) & roughly chop up the pepper meat.

Place the baked Pepper parts along with all the other sauce ingredients (green onions, garlic, parsley, sour cream, mayo, lime zest & juice, salt) in a food processor or blender, & process to make a fairly smooth sauce - & refrigerate till ready to plate with the sautéed jumbo scallops.
(Add a little water or lime juice if sauce is too thick).

Pan-fry the scallops (coated with the above rub) over med-high heat (in a bit of veg oil & butter) until well-browned, turn over and brown the other side. (2-3 minutes or so each side).
Place a heaping spoonful of the refrigerated chili sauce unto each plate & spread around sufficiently to accommodate placing the 5 scallops for each person unto the sauce.

Serve with cooked basmati rice & whatever favorite side veg dishes you might want - along with a glass of chilled white wine, and enjoy !! Try it, you'll love it & want to have it again - guaranteed !

LizStreithorst
03-26-2016, 05:51 PM
I love to cook. I have lots of excellent recipes from meat loaf to dolmas. The best advice I can give anyone who wants to cook well is to never throw away a bone, a chicken carcass, or a seafood shell. The difference between a homemade stock and the crap you buy in a box is huge.

rickztahone
03-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Paul, I WILL try this.

Matt, post your peanut recipe

discuspaul
03-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Paul, I WILL try this. Matt, post your peanut recipe

Please do so, Ricardo, you'll be addicted !

And yes, Matt - post your peanut recipe.

Anyone else have a recipe to post ?

How about you Liz, I've been looking for a GREAT meatloaf recipe - do you have one ?
I haven't found a real good one yet.

Discus-n00b
03-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Oh I don't cook them myself usually. I stop at one of the many little roadside stands people setup out of the back of their truck and get them, like you'd do with fruit or firewood. Not sketchy at all! They'll usually be in a ziploc or small paper bag. Caviar of the south!

All you need is water, salt, and raw in-shell peanuts! Salt amount varies, I've seen 1/2 cup all the way up close to 2 cups (I think this is generally for 3-5lbs raw peanuts). I prefer them salty, it would be regret if you go to eat them and they are not salty enough. Depends on pot size, how much you are cooking at once, and amount of water I guess. You can always change it up during the process as you will be cooking for ~3 hours probably (give or take depending on freshness of peanuts). Scoop some out while they are cooking, you need to check tenderness anyway, check salt while you are at it!

It really is a pretty tailor made process for each person. People add salt at certain times, people boil at certain times, etc but the general process is:
-Take your peanuts, rinse/wash them until water runs clear
-Add them to a pot with plenty of water and mix in your salt (some people soak/brine their peanuts before this as well)
-Bring to boil then simmer for around ~3-4 hours stirring every so often and top off any water
-Remove once peanuts and shells are soft
-Drain then eat and enjoy warm or cold!

I know some people don't add their salt and seasonings until about halfway through when the shells and nuts start getting soft. You can add any seasoning you want. Cajun flavored is becoming popular, add some spice to it. I prefer plain ones myself, just salt for me. Not a very technical guide but like I said, people vary it so much that it really is a fluid process.

mee
03-26-2016, 10:51 PM
I love to cook. I have lots of excellent recipes from meat loaf to dolmas. The best advice I can give anyone who wants to cook well is to never throw away a bone, a chicken carcass, or a seafood shell. The difference between a homemade stock and the crap you buy in a box is huge.

What Liz said. I would add, carrot ends, tougher outer onion layers you normally toss, and really any bits and pieces of veggies, and yes, meat bones, shells, fats, etc.. etc.... Been a long time since I made a good soup stock, you got me thinking it's about time Liz.

discuspaul
03-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Yeah Liz - I'm still waiting for your meat loaf recipe - I haven't found a real good one yet, and I've been looking a long time - so please share your recipe with us.

And Matt, I get the message about how to do the peanuts properly - I'm going to try it - cause I really liker the saltiness in peanuts.

LizStreithorst
03-27-2016, 09:07 AM
Mix together 3/4 lb ground chuck, 1/4 lb ground pork (I often use choriso or Ctalian sausage instead), 1/2 c onion, 1/2c green pepper, 1/3 c quick cooking oatmeal, 8 oz salsa, and 1 egg. form into loaf.
For topping mix together 1/3 c ketchup, 2 tablesppons brown sugar, 1 tablespook good mustard. Slather over top of loaf and bake at 375 for 1 hour.

rickztahone
03-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Mix together 3/4 lb ground chuck, 1/4 lb ground pork (I often use choriso or Ctalian sausage instead), 1/2 c onion, 1/2c green pepper, 1/3 c quick cooking oatmeal, 8 oz salsa, and 1 egg. form into loaf.

That sounds yummy. I've never cooked something like that. I always thought meatloaf would have to cook for a really long time.

discuspaul
03-27-2016, 11:49 AM

Sounds real good, Liz - Thanks. I'll try it with both of Chorizo or the Italian sausage - bet it really adds flavor - and I've never used oatmeal before, always Panko bread crumbs - so I'll try that too.

Quick note for all of you who want to try the Scallops recipe, and may not know that most scallops (whether fresh or frozen) still have a small tough muscle piece attached to the side of each scallop - you can't miss it - they should be removed & discarded. Some scallop packers remove them for sale, but it seems most do not.

rickztahone
03-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Sounds real good, Liz - Thanks. I'll try it with both of Chorizo or the Italian sausage - bet it really adds flavor - and I've never used oatmeal before, always Panko bread crumbs - so I'll try that too.

I've also never cooked scallops and that is a good tip! I would have never known to remove that

LizStreithorst
03-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Scallops were a favorite of mine when I lived up north. Down here they're not as good. I don't know if this is true but when I lived on the gulf coast of Alabama I was told that down here they take punches from salt water rays and call them scallops.

As far as the meat loaf I was never satisfied with the ones I made until I tried the quick cooking oatmeal. The result is a very moist loaf that holds together just right.

LizStreithorst
03-27-2016, 12:12 PM
I save all my cooking for my days off. Yesterday I had snow crab legs because when Pat mentioned them she got me to salivating. I have the shells and some shrimp shells I'd tucked in the freezer boiling down with onion carrots and garlic. I'll make a Jambalaya next weekend. It's absolutely the best thing I make (although my Bavarian pot roast runs a close second). The key to the Jambalaya is homemade fish stock.

Tonight it's left over chicken fried rice. I need to goose the recipe a bit.

I have the fixins for the meatloaf. I'm using Italian sausage because I have some although I prefer using Chorizo. Perhaps I'll throw it together during the middle of the week. It doesn't take long. The Jambalaya takes a good bit of prep work. It's better to the prep in advance because once the seasonings are all mixed together and everything is chopped and diced it doesn't take a lot of work.

discuspaul
03-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Liz, I'm real interested in your Bavarian Pot Roast Recipe, and your Jambalaya recipe as well, if you can find the time and you don't mind posting these recipes some time.

Moving along with seafood dishes, I really enjoy cooking up a Bouillabaisse a couple of times a year (Cioppino, to you Italians) a recipe for which I picked up in France years ago (near Marseille - my grandparents original home area), and if anyone is interested, I'll be happy to post it.

Ricardo, you got this post going and I for one certainly feel it would be worthwhile if we could continue in this vein & exchange some recipes here. If any others want to continue, I'm certainly willing to provide some recipes on any particular food/meal - that anyone would like to hear about & try out. Lamb dishes are one of my favorites if that gets any juices flowing.

And if you try doing scallops for the first time Ricardo, I'd like to hear how you & the family enjoyed them - or not.
Hope others may want to chime in.

LizStreithorst
03-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Bavarian Pot Roast:

combine 1 1/4 c water, 3/4 c good dark beer, 8 oz tomato sauce, 1/2 chopped onion, 2 T sugar, 1 T vinegar, 2 t salt, 1 t ground cinnamon, 1/2 t ground ginger, 1 bay leaf. Pour over meat and bring to a boil
Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hrs until meat is tender. Remove bay leaf. thicken sauce with corn starch mixed with water if necessary

discuspaul
03-27-2016, 09:39 PM
Bavarian Pot Roast:

That recipe sounds unbelievably delisioso, Liz - I have to do it !!!

Any Pastas for you Italian freaks ? I have A Veal Cannelloni recipe that people have said "is to die for" - a little labor intensive, but well worth it !

And how about you lovers of comfort soul food like 'Chili Dogs' , or 'Chili Burgers' - I believe I have a killer recipe for "Coney Island" chili sauce. Interested ?

LizStreithorst
03-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Jambalaya:

Preheat oven to 350.
Pat dry 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs in 2 T oil and remove. Add 1 lb anadoullie sausage or other cajun sausage, 1 lg chopped onion, 2 ribs diced delery, 1/2 red and 1/2 green pepper diced, 1/2 t dry thyme, 1/4 t marjoram,1/4 t paprika, 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t cayenne. Cook till onions are tender add 1 1/2 c raw rice, one can diced tomatoes with juice, 2 c home made seafood stock and bring to a boil.
dump it into a large casserole, top with chicken, cover and bake 40 min or until rice is tender. Take out of oven and stir in 1/2 lb shrimp and 2 T chopped green onions, cover and put back in oven for 5 to 7 minutes until shrimp turns pink.

This makes enough to feed an army. I generally cut the recipe in half and still have several meals plus extra to freeze. I was surprised that it does freeze well. When I reheat it, I remove the shrimp and warm it covered over a low flame and add the shrimp back in when it's hot so as not to turn the shrimp rubbery.

There's a good bit of prep work involved but it comes together fast if you have all your spices already measured out and all the chopping and dicing done in advance.

LizStreithorst
03-27-2016, 09:49 PM
I'd be very interested in the veal cannelloni recipe if I could substitute pork. Can't find veal here. I use pork tenderloin instead of veal when I make schnitzel. I love lamb but the dang stuff costs an arm and a leg in this neck of the woods so I never buy it.

discuspaul
03-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Sure Liz, you can substitute pork for the veal - in fact it would probably taste better than veal !
I'll get that recipe up tomorrow sometime, after I work on trying to condense it properly, like you do yours (which are fully understandable), and get this labor intensive recipe down to something everyone can follow easily.

Btw, I'll most certainly try out the Jambalaya - we've got a great source here for super Andouille sausage which I think is 'key' in this dish.

discuspaul
03-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Here's the Cannelloni recipe:

CANNELLONI

The "Queen Mother" of all pastas - Simply Delicious
!
Cannelloni Wraps - (The Pasta itself):

Most people use store-bought cannelloni 'tubes' (brands: Barilla, Primo, Kraft - whatever). Many are sold as being "Oven-Ready" - but don't be fooled - they may turn out too hard after baking. Partially pre-boil the tubes in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes to soften them up. Remove from water and allow them to cool before filling.

Other options are to use fresh large, flat, thin sheets of Lasagna pasta, cut to the size you wish, and rolled up after filling. Similarly, one can also use wonton wrappers, rolled up after filling. (No pre-boiling needed in either case).

The Cannelloni Filling Ingredients - (Will make approx. 2 dozen or more cannellonis - freeze whatever you don't use initially. Note: A box of cannelloni tubes usually contains around 24 tubes.)

- Approx. 3/4 - 1 lb. ground veal, or beef, or pork, or any combination thereof, seasoned with S. & P., and 1/2 tspn. of ground nutmeg when cooking.
- 1 lb. carton of frozen spinach leaves, thawed, squeezed well to remove most excess water, and roughly chopped.
- 8 oz. (225 grams) carton of ricotta cheese, or cottage cheese, along with 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese (preferably Parmagiano Reggiano) .
- Approx. 1/3 cup of each of finely grated carrot, finely diced celery and finely diced onion, along with 2 finely minced garlic cloves.
- One egg, and 1/3 cup of chicken broth, or cream.
- Optional - 1/4 cup white wine.

Instructions:

In a suitably-sized stove-top saucepan, saute the seasoned ( s. & p. and nutmeg) meat in a dab of olive oil on medium heat for 5 minutes or so until cooked white, add the onions, carrot, celery, and garlic (and the white wine if using) and cook for a few more minutes until softened and mixed in well with the meat.

Allow this mixture to cool, then add the spinach, ricotta & parmesan cheeses, the egg, and the 1/3 cup of either chicken broth, or heavy cream, (as a moistening/flavoring agent), and mix all together well to produce a fairly soft filling mixture.

Fill all the cannelloni tubes with the filling mixture (rather loosely - not too heavily packed in), and place as many tubes as you wish for a meal (suggest 3 -4 tubes per person) in an ovenproof corning ware baking dish. First cover the bottom of the dish with a 1/4” layer of either milk, or cream. The dish should be just large enough to hold the number of tubes you are baking, loosely placed side by side. ( Any remaining filled tubes can be frozen in a zip lock bag for use on another occasion).

The White Sauce Topping: - Béchamel

- In a stovetop saucepan, on medium heat, place 1/4 cup of butter, melt, then add 1/4 cup of flour, whisk in well, and begin adding up to a cup or more of milk to make a very lightly thickened sauce, in which you then add 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, and 1/3 cup of other grated white cheese of your choice - (either Fontina - Provolone - Havarti, as examples) - and 1/2 tspn. nutmeg - and continue whisking on heat until the finished product is a relatively thin sauce.

You want to add sufficient milk to avoid a fairly thickened sauce so that the cannelloni, once baked, is still quite 'liquidy', and not partially dried out & curdly. This is important, as you want to ensure you have a wet, fairly runny sauce still remaining over the cannelloni tubes when done.

Allow the sauce to cool.

Pour the cooled sauce over the cannelloni tubes, and additionally drizzle 1/4 cup or so of cream (whipping cream or other) all over the top of the pasta dish. Then thinly sprinkle some more grated parmesan cheese on top.
(The sauce with the added cream, should be just enough to lightly cover the tubes.)

Bake @ 350 for approx. 30-40 minutes until bubbly & beginning to brown slightly on top. Enjoy!

Don't be intimidated by the recipe length or the seeming complexity of this dish. It's actually quite easy, and well worth every bit of time & effort that goes into it - guaranteed !

LizStreithorst
03-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Thanks so much, Paul. I've added it to my arsenal. It sounds wonderful. I'm not as big a fan of Italian as most folks because I'm not fond of tomato sauce. I do adore anything made with cream, though. The recipe doesn't sound terribly time consuming to me. I could get many meals from 24 Cannelloni since it freezes well.

It honestly doesn't sound too complex or time consuming. If you want time consuming you should see the recipe a Greek guy from another fish forum gave me for Dolmas. It's worth spending me 1/2 a day in the kitchen when I get the craving for them, though. When I get the craving nothing else will do.

discuspaul
03-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Glad you didn't find it too complex & lengthy, or too ingredient-filled, Liz
And since you're not a big fan of tomato sauce, this is an ideal type of yummy pasta dish to suit your tastes.
(There is a version of cannelloni that uses a tomato sauce instead of this white sauce, but to me it's not as flavorful as this one.)

And you're right it freezes real well, and the second time around all you need to do is make a fresh white sauce for the topping.

And I can assure you that if you serve this to guests, many of them will feel this dish is "to die for" - which a number of my guests have said.

LizStreithorst
03-28-2016, 04:00 PM
Guests??????? The only dinner guest I have ever had is my sister-in-law who visits from Brazil every couple of years for a few days. She's family and I was scared cooking for her! I'm actually a very shy cook, and a shy hostess. The pressure of the the food not turning out good and people not having a good time is just too great for me. Heck, I didn't even cook anything other than basic stuff until I moved back to my old homestead and opened a business in a small town rather than in a college town. Suddenly there were no good restaurants so it was either figure out how to do it myself of starve, and I'd rather starve than eat crap.

I know that I call myself "Mamma Bear" and I am in lots of situations. In other things I'm a sissy girl.

Disgirl
03-28-2016, 05:06 PM
I am copying some recipes here! Liz, I will be your 2nd houseguest one day. I won't be hard to please.
Barb

discuspaul
03-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Well Liz, when you try the Cannelloni, and if you like it as much as I think you will, I'm quite sure you wouldn't be reluctant to sharing it with any guest you might want to have in your home.

LizStreithorst
03-28-2016, 06:20 PM
If it's as good as it reads it will be on my list of go to recipes. I was planning on the Jambalaya next weekend but I've made that. It's wonderful but it is no longer a challenge. I have all week to decide but I'm leaning toward making your Cannelloni.

Barb, I'll put you up and cook for you any time. You might be frightened out here in my wilderness with the only protection being 7 worthless dogs ;)

Anyone want a recipe for a delicious no fail Chicken Paprika that all but makes itself?

discuspaul
03-28-2016, 10:09 PM
If it's as good as it reads it will be on my list of go to recipes. I was planning on the Jambalaya next weekend but I've made that. It's wonderful but it is no longer a challenge. I have all week to decide but I'm leaning toward making your Cannelloni.

Barb, I'll put you up and cook for you any time. You might be frightened out here in my wilderness with the only protection being 7 worthless dogs ;)

If you do try it this week-end Liz, I know you'll let me know honestly what you think - If I know only one thing about you, Liz, it's that nobody has to be concerned about you not being entirely candid - you always tell it exactly the way it is - no messing around. And that's the way it should be imho. LOL

Anyone want a recipe for a delicious no fail Chicken Paprika that all but makes itself?

And I'd like the recipe for the Chicken Paprika.

rickztahone
03-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Feeling hungry all over again!

If you guys have one, would love a good recipe, or at least a good walk through on how to cook crab perfectly. I have tried and failed at least 3 times. Not failed as in it made me sick or wasn't well cooked, it just didn't taste as good as I know it should have tasted! My mother once brought me crab from SF (already made by her friend) and when I dug in to that, I swear I was in heaven. As I said, I am a huge seafood fan.

rickztahone
03-28-2016, 11:05 PM
Also, I'd like to mention that I would love it if you guys/gals could post recipes for breakfast. I find myself cooking the same ol' things for my son and myself week after week and would love to get better dishes to put on the table. Here'st he thing, I've been trying to eat things that are more healthy, so no bacon, or stuff that has a lot of grease and or fat. We love oatmeal in the morning as well as eggs mixed with scallions and mushrooms (we love mushrooms!) among other things. French toast is about the least healthy thing but we only eat that once in a while and the syrup has no high fructose corn syrup. So again, I try to be very mindful about eating healthier than I did growing up.

P.S., keep in mind, we are a Hispanic household and eating unhealthy (round the clock) seems to be a trademark around here, but, slowly but surely I am trying to get us out of this mentality which is why I wanted to start cooking and expanding my dishes.

LizStreithorst
03-28-2016, 11:05 PM
This is so good it shouldn't be this easy.

Slice an onion and put it in the bottom of a crock pot.
Season 4 bone in chicken thighs first with salt, then pepper, then paprika. (you can overdo the salt if you're too heavy handed but you cannot overdo the pepper and paprika). shake off the excesses seasoning.
Put thighs in crook pot. Pour in 1/2 c water. Cover and cook on high for 8 hrs.
Take chicken out and remove bones when it's cool enough.
Mix 3/4 c sour cream into liquid.
Thicken liquid with flour mixed with with water if necessary.
put chicken back in and mix it all well.

good over egg noodles or rice.

LizStreithorst
03-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Ricardo, the only crab I can get is Alaskan King Crab legs. They come to my supermarket frozen and pre-cooked. Despite that they are heavenly. I steam them until they're warmed through. I have them with melted butter (I never bother with clarifying it as I should) I squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into the butter. That's it!

I'm afraid I'm not a breakfast eater. My breakfast is always the same thing and I did without breakfast before I found wonderful rye bread from New York!!! I finally broke down and ordered it when it became impossible to buy a good loaf in my area. All people buy here is that soft garbage. I have a slice toasted with lightly salted butter. It costs a dang fortune but you can have 5 loves shipped for the same price it costs to ship 1 and freeze the extra loves till you're ready for them. If you want a wonderful rye bread you can find it here: https://www.zingermans.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=B-RYE

discuspaul
03-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Feeling hungry all over again!

If you guys have one, would love a good recipe, or at least a good walk through on how to cook crab perfectly. I have tried and failed at least 3 times. Not failed as in it made me sick or wasn't well cooked, it just didn't taste as good as I know it should have tasted! My mother once brought me crab from SF (already made by her friend) and when I dug in to that, I swear I was in heaven. As I said, I am a huge seafood fan.

Ricardo, here's a really well-explained youtube video on how to cook & clean Dungeness Crabs, which are readily available in S.F., and hopefully also in your area.
Dungeness Crabs are very common & always available along the north-west coast, and imo is the tastiest crab available. My wife & I have them steamed several times a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_xvzYGAWM

If for some reason the video doesn't appear properly, just google how to cook and clean Dungeness Crab & you'll find the video link.

rickztahone
03-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Ricardo, here's a really well-explained youtube video on how to cook & clean Dungeness Crabs, which are readily available in S.F., and hopefully also in your area.
Dungeness Crabs are very common & always available along the north-west coast, and imo is the tastiest crab available. My wife & I have them steamed several times a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_xvzYGAWM

If for some reason the video doesn't appear properly, just google how to cook and clean Dungeness Crab & you'll find the video link.

Very cool video! I have never done the ice bath technique and this may be one of things that may be hindering my tasty crab. I will try this next time. Thanks for sharing.

Side note, would you all like me to edit OP and include the shared recipes so that we do not have to bounce back and forth through the thread?

Second Hand Pat
03-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Paul, my favorite scallops are the little calico scallops. It is a small scallops native to Florida water. You lightly coat them with flour, add a 1/4 of oil to a skillet and fry until done. Careful not to overdo it.
Pat

Discus-n00b
03-29-2016, 12:57 PM
so no bacon

GASP!!!

I'm not a big breakfast person either, I used to be and would be again as I love breakfast foods but don't have much time. Would also love some breakfast ideas, though include anything healthy or unhealthy like bacon you like for me! ;)

discuspaul
03-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Paul, my favorite scallops are the little calico scallops. It is a small scallops native to Florida water. You lightly coat them with flour, add a 1/4 of oil to a skillet and fry until done. Careful not to overdo it.
Pat

We can get them here, Pat - or something very much like them, although the name 'Calico' does ring a bell - and I do like them. Like you said though, don't overcook them or they'll be hard & rubbery.

discuspaul
03-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Very cool video! I have never done the ice bath technique and this may be one of things that may be hindering my tasty crab. I will try this next time. Thanks for sharing.

Side note, would you all like me to edit OP and include the shared recipes so that we do not have to bounce back and forth through the thread?

Not sure what you're suggesting to be done here Ricardo, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

discuspaul
03-29-2016, 02:23 PM
GASP!!!

I'm not a big breakfast person either, I used to be and would be again as I love breakfast foods but don't have much time. Would also love some breakfast ideas, though include anything healthy or unhealthy like bacon you like for me! ;)

Matt,
If you haven't tried it (but hopefully you can find it in your area) - I suggest you give Peameal Bacon a go if you can find it.
It's a cured back bacon - no fat whatsoever, very tasty and not at all salty - the curing is different from that applied to most bacons.
It's coated with peameal of course, which gives it a nice taste. I've used that bacon almost exclusively for many years - certainly not unhealthy, and a nice change from many other bacons, including Canadian Back Bacon.

I'm not big on breakfasts, but I'll try to come up with something interesting/tasty. I do make several different types of Frittatas - like Quiches but without the dough crusts - more like a thick omelet. There are meaty ones, seafood ones, and strictly veggie ones - all quite cheesy & excellent.

rickztahone
03-29-2016, 02:38 PM
Not sure what you're suggesting to be done here Ricardo, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

I simply mean, should I copy/paste all of the provided recipes so far and include them in my first post so that it makes it easier to find, rather than going through page after page? Keep in mind, we are on the 5th page already.

discuspaul
03-29-2016, 03:05 PM
I think you should. Hopefully others agree, and hopefully some will also continue recipe posting besides mainly Liz and me.

rickztahone
03-29-2016, 03:33 PM
I don't necessarily have recipes to be honest. I have only ever cracked a cookbook open and actually gone through a recipe but a handful of times, but know that I can go step by step if needed. However, the way I have learned to cook is simply via experimentation. I love steaks and I cook them often. Since starting to cook steaks I have realized that I love adding the following: garlic, pepper, worcestershire sauce, rosemary and I learned to braise meats. Also, I love basting a good steak with butter. I know I said I want to start eating healthier, and basting with butter may have something to do with that! lol

LizStreithorst
03-29-2016, 04:40 PM
I simply mean, should I copy/paste all of the provided recipes so far and include them in my first post so that it makes it easier to find, rather than going through page after page? Keep in mind, we are on the 5th page already.

Please do.

I hope other folks post some more. I've 'bout used up all of my failure free recipes.

discuspaul
03-29-2016, 05:13 PM
I don't necessarily have recipes to be honest. I have only ever cracked a cookbook open and actually gone through a recipe but a handful of times, but know that I can go step by step if needed. However, the way I have learned to cook is simply via experimentation. I love steaks and I cook them often. Since starting to cook steaks I have realized that I love adding the following: garlic, pepper, worcestershire sauce, rosemary and I learned to braise meats. Also, I love basting a good steak with butter. I know I said I want to start eating healthier, and basting with butter may have something to do with that! lol

Since you bring up the topic of 'steaks', and as warmer summer weather and great grilling time will soon be upon us, here's a simple but 'crazy good' marinade for grilled rib or loin lamb chops, pork chops, or new York or rib-eye steaks:

A couple of hours is enough time in this marinade (refrigerated in a zip-lock bag, turned over every once in a while) for any of those cuts of meats, but at least 4-6 hours, or longer, is better.

Just before grilling, remove any of the excess oil, herbs, & shallots/garlic from the meat surfaces with a paring knife.

Marinade - Mix well together:

- 1/3 - 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 heaping tspn. of "Keen's" hot mustard (Yes - hot mustard- not to worry, you won't even notice this 'heat' in your grilled meat)
- Approx. 1 tspn. each of - rosemary, thyme, summer savory, oregano, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper
- 1 small finely diced shallot
- 1-2 finely diced garlic cloves

I believe you'll love the flavor this marinade imparts to grilled meats.

Disgirl
03-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Liz's meatloaf update:
I made it for us tonight and it is wonderful! Flavorful and moist. I highly recommend it to meatloaf lovers. Thanks Liz! I made potatoes au gratin and spinach to go with it. Really good meal.
Barb

Discus-n00b
03-29-2016, 07:11 PM
Matt,
If you haven't tried it (but hopefully you can find it in your area) - I suggest you give Peameal Bacon a go if you can find it.
It's a cured back bacon - no fat whatsoever, very tasty and not at all salty - the curing is different from that applied to most bacons.
It's coated with peameal of course, which gives it a nice taste. I've used that bacon almost exclusively for many years - certainly not unhealthy, and a nice change from many other bacons, including Canadian Back Bacon.

I'm not big on breakfasts, but I'll try to come up with something interesting/tasty. I do make several different types of Frittatas - like Quiches but without the dough crusts - more like a thick omelet. There are meaty ones, seafood ones, and strictly veggie ones - all quite cheesy & excellent.

I just googled it. It reminds me of what we call "Canadian bacon". I'm guessing it's basically the same minus the coating of meal. In my mind despite it coming from a different part of the pig, it's closer to ham than bacon. Still delicious though. I've never seen it down here as you mention, probably like authentic grits up there lol.

discuspaul
03-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Liz's meatloaf update:
I made it for us tonight and it is wonderful! Flavorful and moist. I highly recommend it to meatloaf lovers. Thanks Liz! I made potatoes au gratin and spinach to go with it. Really good meal.
Barb

Sounds like you had a wonderful meal, Barb.
I'm going to try Liz's meatloaf soon.

discuspaul
03-29-2016, 08:27 PM
I just googled it. It reminds me of what we call "Canadian bacon". I'm guessing it's basically the same minus the coating of meal. In my mind despite it coming from a different part of the pig, it's closer to ham than bacon. Still delicious though. I've never seen it down here as you mention, probably like authentic grits up there lol.

Too bad you can't get it down there, Matt. It's a wonderful tasting 'bacon' - it's made from pork loin, but it's more tender and sure tastes like a back bacon - it's excellent in toasted triple decker sandwiches, or as breakfast with eggs & hash browns.

If any others of you can find it in your area, do give it a try.

Debow
03-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Ha I feel guilty when I eat a Filet-O-Fish in front of my tank, They all stare at me like they know what I'm doing.

mee
03-30-2016, 10:25 AM
mental note, never come check this thread when I am hungry...

time to eat!

Akili
03-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Gave this one a try for the first time last night for dinner Chilli Chicken with Plain Rice.Have to admit the it was good but very hot,going to cut down the amount on the red chili powder and chilli sauce indicated in the recipe next time.
Chilli Chicken Recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
• Oil for deep frying
Marination
• 250 grams boneless chicken
• ½ tbsp. chilli sauce
• ½ tbsp. soya sauce
• ¼ tsp pepper powder
• ¾ tsp. vinegar
• 2 tbsps. Corn flour (1 tbsp more optional)
• 2 tbsp. plain flour / Maida (optional use to get a restaurant style chicken)
• ¼ tsp. red chili powder
• Salt little
• 1 small egg for ½ kg chicken (optional)
Seasoning
• ¾ tbsp. soya sauce
• 1 tsp chilli sauce
• ½ tsp. red chilli powder
• ½ tsp. sugar
Veggies
• 1 small onion thinly sliced
• ¾ tbsp. garlic
• ¼ cup cubed bell pepper / capsicum
• 1 to 2 green chilies slit and deseeded
• 1 sprig of spring onion chopped (optional)
• 4 to 5 leaves of celery chopped finely (optional)
• Spring onions for garnish
Instructions
1. Marinate chicken with chilli sauce, soya sauce, pepper powder and vinegar. Set aside for at least 45 minutes. 2 hours is best. Meanwhile you could chop your onions, bell pepper and make the sauce ready for seasoning.
2. Sprinkle corn flour on the chicken along with salt and mix well. If you like to have your chicken coated with crunchy flour like we get in restaurants, and then use 1 more tbsp. corn flour and 2 tbsp. plain flour. Add chili powder. If you wish to use egg, you can add it now. Mix well.
3. Prepare the sauce .Add ¾ tbsp. soya sauce, 1 tsp. chili sauce, ½ tsp. red chili powder and ½ tsp sugar (optional) to a bowl and mix well.
4. Heat oil in a pan and deep or shallow fry till the chicken is done. Keep stirring to fry evenly. Do not over fry, it tends to turn hard. It can also be grilled at 240 C for 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated oven.
5. When it is cooked, drain on a kitchen tissue.
6. Remove off excess oil from the pan just keep 2 spoons oil in the pan. Add garlic fry for about a min, add onions, capsicum, spring onions, and celery and green chilies and fry till they turn slightly soft for about a minute or so.
7. Pour the sauce that was prepared at step 3. Let the sauces bubble up well.
8. Add the fried chicken, sauté on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Serve chilli chicken hot as appetizer with fried rice or noodles.

LizStreithorst
04-01-2016, 03:44 PM
I just stumbled upon this. It sounds good. http://www.buzzfeed.com/alvinzhou/these-guacamole-chicken-bombs-are-wrapped-in-bacon-and-total#.pcV9rjaD0

LizStreithorst
04-01-2016, 03:50 PM
I like hot but it sounds too hot for me. Sounds good, though.

discuspaul
04-01-2016, 05:47 PM
I just stumbled upon this. It sounds good. http://www.buzzfeed.com/alvinzhou/these-guacamole-chicken-bombs-are-wrapped-in-bacon-and-total#.pcV9rjaD0

Yes, Liz - that recipe does sound real good. I'll try it sometime.
I make a few different recipes for stuffed chicken breasts, and like them all- especially the fairly common cordon bleu with ham & cheese. My favorite is stuffed with cooked cranberries, double cream brie and apple.

rickztahone
04-01-2016, 09:35 PM
I keep forgetting to add the recipes to the OP. Pretty busy at work here so probably will not get a chance to do it today, but keep an eye out, I will add them to OP with person who posted it, link to post and separation :)

discuspaul
04-01-2016, 09:40 PM
I keep forgetting to add the recipes to the OP. Pretty busy at work here so probably will not get a chance to do it today, but keep an eye out, I will add them to OP with person who posted it, link to post and separation :)

Sounds good Ricardo - hope you can find the time to get around to it.

LizStreithorst
04-01-2016, 09:54 PM
It's not like it's an emergency. Seems that we have few foodies here.

rickztahone
04-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Well, it is the OT section. I know many people that browse sub-forum by sub-forum. Personally, I always browse the forum through the "new posts" feature. On a daily basis I go through at least 3 pages of posts just to see what everyone is talking about :)

LizStreithorst
04-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Perhaps if you were to change the title of the thread to "Recipes" there would be more folks contributing. Surely it's not just Paul and me who enjoy good food.

discuspaul
04-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Perhaps if you were to change the title of the thread to "Recipes" there would be more folks contributing. Surely it's not just Paul and me who enjoy good food.

That's exactly what I was thinking Liz - there's been enough viewers to this thread - you'd think that some of them really like food & would want to pipe up, even if they don't have a recipe to contribute.

LizStreithorst
04-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Barb is the only one to have said that she even tried a recipe suggested here. I'll be making your Cannelloni on Sunday. It doesn't sound that hard. I wish I could use ground pork or veal rather than ground beef, but ground beef is the only one available to me. I used to have a meat grinder. It was lost in a move. I will do my best to make it right and I will post a review. I want to use half and half rather than milk. I hope that's OK. The flavor is in the fat with meat. The same is true with dairy. The more butterfat the more delicious.

I say to hell with cholesterol. I'm a little bitty 5'3" 115 lbs. Even if I were big and fat I'd prefer to live a delicious short life rather than a long bland one.

rickztahone
04-01-2016, 11:18 PM
I will be trying the crab recipe that was suggested by Paul via YT video

discuspaul
04-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Barb is the only one to have said that she even tried a recipe suggested here. I'll be making your Cannelloni on Sunday. It doesn't sound that hard. I wish I could use ground pork or veal rather than ground beef, but ground beef is the only one available to me. I used to have a meat grinder. It was lost in a move. I will do my best to make it right and I will post a review. I want to use half and half rather than milk. I hope that's OK. The flavor is in the fat with meat. The same is true with dairy. The more butterfat the more delicious.

I say to hell with cholesterol. I'm a little bitty 5'3" 115 lbs. Even if I were big and fat I'd prefer to live a delicious short life rather than a long bland one.

Half & half will likely be better than milk - I've not tried that but it should be good.

The only tricky part to getting this recipe to finish properly is the white sauce - it should be the right consistency, not too thick, but not overly 'runny' either. Most people make it too thick (too much flour) and the cannelloni comes out somewhat dry, with the tubes partially exposed/not covered with enough sauce. That's why I add more whipping cream (or even milk) when the sauce has been placed over the tubes just before baking - to ensure there's still a good amount of liquid when the dish is browned a bit & ready to serve.

I will be trying the crab recipe that was suggested by Paul via YT video

Good for you - I use 3 different types of melted butter sauce for dipping the crab pieces into:
c) Garlic butter ( melted butter with finely chopped (or squeezed through a garlic press) garlic clove(s) - 1 or more
Take your pick - they're all tasty - depends what your family likes. I sometimes add a couple of dabs of hot sauce to the melted butter I'm using.

rickztahone
04-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Half & half will likely be better than milk - I've not tried that but it should be good.

The only tricky part to getting this recipe to finish properly is the white sauce - it should be the right consistency, not too thick, but not overly 'runny' either. Most people make it too thick (too much flour) and the cannelloni comes out somewhat dry, with the tubes partially exposed/not covered with enough sauce. That's why I add more whipping cream (or even milk) when the sauce has been placed over the tubes just before baking - to ensure there's still a good amount of liquid when the dish is browned a bit & ready to serve.

I'll consider myself embarrassed because I didn't know there were flavored butters such as this! Garlic butter sounds amazing. I love cooking with garlic

discuspaul
04-02-2016, 02:41 PM
I'll consider myself embarrassed because I didn't know there were flavored butters such as this! Garlic butter sounds amazing. I love cooking with garlic

That's why I mentioned it to you - so that you would know. You needn't feel embarrassed, many people have no idea how these various melted butter sauces enhance the enjoyment of some seafoods. These melted butter sauces are also real good with prawns, shrimp, crayfish, Alaska king crab, lobster, and other types of crab.

Just an added thought - if you haven't tried them, I think you might really enjoy fresh steamed mussels.
They're one of my favorite dishes, and I'd be happy to post a real yummy, but very simple, sauce recipe for steaming them stovetop, which of course includes butter, but several other tasty ingredients as well.

discuspaul
04-03-2016, 10:49 PM
Okay then, let's just carry on in this lighter (than discus care) vein:

Did you know that fresh mussels are real good for you health-wise ( Omega 3 benefits - check it out) and available in many cities for ridiculously low prices ?
You can get many dozens of mussels for just a couple of $$ - 24 to 36 mussels per person will make a good meal and will cost no more than $2.-$3. a person, if that - AND they're very tasty steamed and much more tender than clams (which can be tough & rubbery, depending on the clams & how they're cooked).

Here's how to treat fresh live mussels:

Buy only fully closed mussels - if the shell is opened, tap it gently ( or a little harder) once or twice and if it doesn't close, don't buy it. Same procedure applies after you get them home & sit them in cold water just before cooking, do the following, and remove them from the water just before sautéing.

While they're soaking, you can pull away any 'beard' or 'whiskers' that might appear out of the rear shelling of the mussel when it's sitting in the cold water. You could also scrub the mussels with a brush if there is any extraneous material attached to the shell that should be removed, but this is not usually necessary.

The easy part:

In a large saucepan with accompanying lid that is large enough to hold all the mussels you'll be steaming, add a little oil and a couple of tbspns of butter over medium heat, and add a finely diced medium-sized shallot along with 1-3 finely diced garlic cloves.
Saute for a minute or two, then add a good heavy splash of white wine, along with the same amount of fresh whipping cream, some fresh lemon juice, and some freshly chopped parsley, a few dashes of hot sauce (or pepper flakes), some oregano, and a dash of sugar.
Stir together, add all the mussels that you've removed from the cold water bath, put the lid on the frypan, increase the heat a bit and sauté for 3-4 minutes or so at boiling point.

Tada, your mussels are done when they've all opened.

Serve them in soup bowls, with freshly cut large pieces of French baguette bread to soak up the juices, and a green salad if you wish.
A glass of cool white wine, and the deliciously tasty mussels will make a fine meal, rest assured.

rickztahone
04-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Man, you are good at making my mouth water

LizStreithorst
04-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Cannelloni's in the oven :)

Second Hand Pat
04-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Guys, lets include some pictures when making the recipes. I will do up my shrimp tonight and share the recipe with pictures :D
Pat

Second Hand Pat
04-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Gamma's shrimp (my grandmother)

Old family recipe

Several pounds of shrimp, best to use large shrimp with shell on.
White Vinegar
Salt
Celery Seed
Old Bay (optional)

Note here. Do not defrost the shrimp until you are almost ready to cook. Helps to keep the shrimp fresh.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1558/26216664936_918977a364.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FWFg7q)[/url] (https://flic.kr/p/FWFg7q)

In a pot large enough to boil several pounds of shrimp add enough water/vineger to cover the shrimp. You want a 60% vineger to 40% water. Add salt to the vineger/winter mix to taste. Bring to a boil. Once at a full, rolling boil, add the shrimp. Stir and add the celery seed, about two tablespoons or so (I do not measure so best guess :D). Stir the shrimp and cover for a minute or so. Leave the burner on high. Allow the shrimp to turn red.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1555/25969720440_7ccc1a939d.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FyRB7G) (https://flic.kr/p/FyRB7G)

You will want to test for the shrimp being done about once a minute. Remove a shrimp and cut the thick part with a knife. The shrimp will be done once the meat is white. Removed the shrimp from the pot and add to a serving dish. If you cover the shrimp it will cook a little more.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1703/26176315581_04ea4af61e.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FT7sDT) (https://flic.kr/p/FT7sDT)

If you wish to add Old Bay just before the shrimp is done you can remove the shrimp from the pot, save a bit of water and add back to the pot. Add a streamer to the bottom of the pot and add the shrimp on top and add a bunch of Old Bay and mix well. Allow the water to simmer finish cooking the shrimp. Continue to monitor the shrimp for being done. Shrimp cook quickly so closely monitor. Once done remove the shrimp and add to a serving dish. Enjoy.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1534/25969718040_d98fec337f.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FyRApj) [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/129594174@N08/] (https://flic.kr/p/FyRApj)

discuspaul
04-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Sounds real good Pat, I've never tried anything like that before - but I love shrimp & prawns, so I've got to give that a go- and I will for sure ! Must be a Florida specialty, huh ?
And thanks for the pix - that helps !

Never heard of Old Bay before - but I'll try to find it.

Second Hand Pat
04-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Not sure Paul. My grandmother make it when I was a kid and she passed when I was in my mid-twenties. I had to recreate the recipe from memory. It is a simple recipe, beats any shrimp boil from the store. :D
Pat

discuspaul
04-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Can you recall from memory what the recipe might have consisted of & how much ?
Don't mean to put you on the spot, if you can't recall enough to describe it - don't worry about it. I'm just curious.

Second Hand Pat
04-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Paul, I had to rediscover the recipe. Do you need quantities?
Pat

discuspaul
04-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Sure - approximations/guesstimates are okay - that would do.

rickztahone
04-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Took a while but if you check the first post, you will see I edited ALL recipes to that first post. Will keep updating it as we get more recipes

LizStreithorst
04-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Thanks Ricardo. I'm sure that it took time and was a chore. I, for one, appreciate it.

rickztahone
04-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Thanks Ricardo. I'm sure that it took time and was a chore. I, for one, appreciate it.

You are welcome Liz ;)

I need to make some of these now! I keep dragging my feet

discuspaul
04-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Took a while but if you check the first post, you will see I edited ALL recipes to that first post. Will keep updating it as we get more recipes

That`s stupendous, Ricardo ! Many thanks !

LizStreithorst
04-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Do Pat's shrimp! What could be more easy. Boil a 'tater. Biol some green beans in a good stock and you will have a feast fit for a king. I might make some lemon butter to dip the shrimp in but that's just me.

LizStreithorst
04-08-2016, 07:38 PM
It's about time I gave my review of Paul's cannelloni recipe. I didn't do it right away because the day I made it it tasted rather bland to me. Once the flavors had a chance to blend overnight I fell in love with it. If you like high butterfat dairy you will, too. So creamy...so cheesy.

It was a bit time consuming but if you enjoy cooking, prep work is half the fun. I'l make it again but I have enough frozen to last me a long time. I had it 3 days in a row. That gives it 2 thumbs up. Next time I make it I think I'll buy fresh spinach and boil it in homemade pork stock. I may even use the pork stock in place of a bit the cream or chicken stock the recipe calls for. I won't make as much just in case my changes suck.

LizStreithorst
04-08-2016, 07:44 PM
I couldn't figure out what I wanted to make this weekend. John Patako's dolmas recipe kept coming to mind and wouldn't go away. The prep work is a bear but the results are so worth the effort. I'll put my own twist on it this time.

LizStreithorst
04-09-2016, 04:15 PM
It's amazing...I never liked to cook until I couldn't buy a good meal at a local restaurant. I learned to cook because I'd rather starve than eat crap. Now, I want to spend all my time cooking but I only cook on my days off. I've finally reached the point where I can modify recipes make them more to my taste rather than follow the recipe exactly. (I always follow it exactly the first time I make something).

I work 1/2 a day on Saturdays so tonight I will have Paul's cannelloni. I'm waiting for them to thaw. I made fresh sauce (it keeps for 3 days in the fridge if you lay a piece of plastic wrap on top so it doesn't form a skin). Tomorrow I'll be making John Pakako's Dolmathes. I have all the makings for a Jambalaya, but Pat's shrimp recipe calls to me. Then the other day this came to my inbox. I'm not generally fond of tomato sauce but it looks so good...So much to make and so little time. Paul, if you have a way to make this even better please let me know. I'm thinking about it for next weekend. http://food52.com/recipes/18223-chicken-cacciatore

discuspaul
04-09-2016, 05:34 PM
That recipe sounds like a pretty good one Liz, and is actually similar to the one I use except for minor differences. I vary recipes a lot too, and I like the taste that comes with adding 1/2 cup of white wine to mine. I use roasted shallots instead of onion slices, or occasionally small pearl onions, & I don't always include bell peppers, preferring to use a couple of different types of mushrooms, for more earthy flavor which I love. But don't do without 2 essentials to this recipe - the pepper flakes & the bacon.
I also add thyme, marjoram, and bay leaf to the basil and oregano.
This is also a recipe where the addition of prosciutto pieces bring a bit of welcome added flavoring.

LizStreithorst
04-09-2016, 06:05 PM
wine makes every sauce better. Thyme and marjoram is my favorite spice combination. The roasted shallots sound divine. I want the red pepper but I'll do without the green one in favor of more mushrooms. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

discuspaul
04-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Here's another Italian recipe you might like:

OSSO BUCO

It has been said that all Osso Buco recipes are not equal, and that Osso Buco can be either fabulous, or it can be decidedly mediocre.

I don't regard mine as fabulous, but to me this recipe for Osso Buco makes it the 'king' of traditional fine dining milanese dishes, with it's superb layering of flavors.

This recipe calls for horizontally cut slices of veal shank, approx. 1 inch thick, but beef shank can be substituted, and although the latter will not be fall off the bone tender` as veal shank will be, it will still `have that wonderful, meaty vegetable stew taste. But do try to get veal shank, even though it`s more expensive than beef - it will have a more appealing consistency.

Portions judging note: Since shank slices are from the tapered leg, slices will be of differing sizes, so if the slice is between 5 to 6 inches or so in diameter, 1 slice per person will do, whereas if the slices are under 4 inches in diameter, you`ll want 2 slices per person. You get the picture.

Serving note: Although optional, Osso Buco is generally served with a sprinkling of Gremolata over the top of each serving.
Gremolata is made with 2 T (tbspn.) of chopped parsley, 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 T of lemon juice, and one-half T. of grated lemon peel (zest).

INGREDIENTS FOR OSSO BUCO - (4 persons)

Veal Shanks as apportioned above
- 3-4 T of olive oil
- 2 T of butter
- 4 to 6 medium-sized shallots - halved, OR 2 dozen pearl onions with dry peeling removed.
- 1 half red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 third of a cup of dry sherry (or Marsala wine)
- 1 third of a cup of brandy or cognac ( may substitute white wine)
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T tomato paste
-1 t (teaspoon) each of rosemary & thyme, and 2 bay leaves
- 2cups chicken broth ( or veal or beef broth)
- 2 or 3 slices of either pork salt, pancetta, or bacon, cut into small pieces
- S & P to taste

Preparation:

Add 2 T of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season shanks with salt & pepper on both sides, and a light dusting of flour, then brown them on both sides. Remove the browned shanks to a platter.

In the same pan, reduce heat and add the other 2 T of olive oil and the butter. Add the shallots, or pearl onions, peppers, carrots, celery and garlic, along with the pork salt pieces, or the pancetta, or the bacon. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes to allow for slight browning of the pork and the veggies to release their juices. Add the sherry or marsala wine, and the brandy or white wine, stir in well and let simmer on low for 6-8 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, the tomato paste, the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf, and stir well.

Pour all of this into an oven-proof dutch oven or casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid, large enough to accommodate all of these ingredients plus, and then add in (either of) the chicken, veal or beef broth, along with adding back the browned meat shanks.

Bake in a 350 degree oven, covered the entire time, for 1 and a half to 2 hours, or more, to reach max fall off the bone tenderness. You may want, or need to, add in some cornstarch mixed with water at the last minute to thicken the sauce to desired consistency.

Serve with a sprinkling of the gremolata, mashed potatoes (or garlic mashed potatoes), and a robust red wine.

Hope you like it. Guests usually rave about it.

discuspaul
04-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Are any of you folks interested in more recipes ?

Please tell us what you'd like to hear about - I'm into French cuisine, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Singaporean, Malaysian, Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese, and in particular, Mexican ! Take your pick - I can come up with something that might tickle your taste senses - and I really do like to share.

What about desserts ? I have a couple that you might think you've outdone yourself to be able to easily make
- but that your family & guests will say are scrumptious.

LizStreithorst
04-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Paul, it seems that we're the only two people who love to cook. I'm always looking for something new and interesting, but ATM have enough "on my plate" to cook for the next couple of weeks. Bring the recipes on. I like everything as long as it's good. If something rings my bell I'll remember it and put it on my list.

LizStreithorst
04-10-2016, 11:28 AM
BTW Paul, your cannelloni broke my oven (jk). I was taking it out of the oven last night and the outer panel of the oven door fell off! I had never heard of such but I googled around and apparently it is not uncommon with GE ovens. (mine is a Hotpoint which is made by GE.) I can fix it myself with high temperature silicone but I may call the repair man. My broiler doesn't work right so I could get 2 fixes for one service call. The broiler is the fault of the plumber who installed it and didn't change out the jets for LP gas. He hooked up the gas, so he knew...It's is also my own fault because I replaced them myself. The burners were easy. It said on the instructions to be careful not to strip the "hood" on the broiler. I was very gentle but I stripped the dang thing anyway. I haven't been able to use my broiler for the 8 years since I had the house built! I don't broil often but I've had to rule out many recipes that call for a final pop under the broiler to brown and crisp.

If I had the money I'd just go out and buy new. I bought my appliances based on looks and price. My fridge broke after 4 years. The range looks good but I've never been satisfied with the way it works. The dishwasher had a problem that was fixed under warantee. It's still going strong but I don't use it more than once every week or two. I tend to hand wash as I go.

discuspaul
04-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Ouch - that's tough luck - and it sucks.
If that had happened to me, I'd be real upset for quite a while !

Hope you get it all straightened out soon.

LizStreithorst
04-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Just one of life's petty annoyances. I'm pissed, but I'll get over it.

rickztahone
04-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Are any of you folks interested in more recipes ?

Please tell us what you'd like to hear about - I'm into French cuisine, Italian, Greek, Spanish, Singaporean, Malaysian, Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese, and in particular, Mexican ! Take your pick - I can come up with something that might tickle your taste senses - and I really do like to share.

What about desserts ? I have a couple that you might think you've outdone yourself to be able to easily make
- but that your family & guests will say are scrumptious.

There is a Mexican recipe called "mole" (mol-e) which is chicken with chocolate. It sounds weird but it is so delicious. I will try to get the recipe from my mother in law. I will say this, it is a hit or miss with this recipe with people. They either like it, or hate it, no gray area.

LizStreithorst
04-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Where is your mother in law from, Ricardo. I'm used to brown mole because that what mole was like when I lived in Puebla. I understand that there's a green mole, too,

discuspaul
04-11-2016, 03:57 PM
I've had mole & like it, but it's one of the Mexican dishes I've never made, so if you can get the recipe, Ricardo, I'd sure like to copy it.

And Liz, I'm going to do your meatloaf recipe sometime this week, maybe tomorrow, and let you know how it turns out.
I'll use a couple of chorizo sausages in it.

rickztahone
04-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Where is your mother in law from, Ricardo. I'm used to brown mole because that what mole was like when I lived in Puebla. I understand that there's a green mole, too,
I honestly have never tried the green variety. My mother-in-law is Mexican and my family is from El Salvador and mole is not a typical dish for us (at least to my understanding). The first time I tried it, it must have been the worst thing I have ever tried in my life. However, my wife was with me and she told me that it really did taste bad and that isn't how it is supposed to taste. Her mother made it for me shortly afterwards and although I was super hesitant to try it (lol), I did, and I loved it. I have tried mole from many different people, but seriously, none make it as good as her.

I've had mole & like it, but it's one of the Mexican dishes I've never made, so if you can get the recipe, Ricardo, I'd sure like to copy it.

And Liz, I'm going to do your meatloaf recipe sometime this week, maybe tomorrow, and let you know how it turns out.
I'll use a couple of chorizo sausages in it.

Paul, I will try to get the recipe. I know she had a journal with recipes before and I am going to try to raid her notebook for recipes :)

LizStreithorst
04-11-2016, 06:09 PM
If it's not too much trouble ask her if she has a recipe for tamales de mole. The tamale man would come around at night hollering "tamaaaales". He had tamales with chiles in the center (tamales de rajas) and tamales de mole. I can handle spicy hot but the tamel de rajas were too much for me. The tamales de mole were hot but I could eat them.

I miss Mexican street food. In the afternoon ladies would squat down on the sidewalk against a building down town and sold something that I think are called gordiditas. It was tortilla flour that they would thin out by patting them from hand to hand. Sometimes the filling would be something as simple as a squash blossom. I'm sure they added something else but it's been so long ago...I loved them.

rickztahone
04-11-2016, 06:36 PM
If it's not too much trouble ask her if she has a recipe for tamales de mole. The tamale man would come around at night hollering "tamaaaales". He had tamales with chiles in the center (tamales de rajas) and tamales de mole. I can handle spicy hot but the tamel de rajas were too much for me. The tamales de mole were hot but I could eat them.

I miss Mexican street food. In the afternoon ladies would squat down on the sidewalk against a building down town and sold something that I think are called gordiditas. It was tortilla flour that they would thin out by patting them from hand to hand. Sometimes the filling would be something as simple as a squash blossom. I'm sure they added something else but it's been so long ago...I loved them.

Gorditas (simply translates to "fatties" lol) are really yummy and there is no rhyme or reason as to what you can/can't put in one.

I have never tried mole tamal, but have tried almost every other lol. As Salvadorians, we specialize in something called "pupusas" which is made with masa harina and cheese stuffed inside with some other things. I do not know how to make this, and I have not tried one from a family member that I loved so much to actually want to get the recipe, lol.

However, as Salvadorians, you always know where to go to get some good pupusas

discuspaul
04-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Hey Liz,
I did your meatloaf tonite - amazing what a change that a couple of ingredients can make !
The Chorizo sausages made it wonderfully tasty !
No more bland, dry meatloaf for me !
Many thanks for this simple addition to really change up an everyday meal.

LizStreithorst
04-20-2016, 07:27 PM
The oat meal didn't come out of my own head. I heard about it on a local Public Radio cooking show. then I went looking around on line for meatloaf recipes and found that one. It sounded good but it called for ground pork. I can't get ground pork so I used the chorizo. I found the result to be very moist and flavorful. Glad you liked it.

LizStreithorst
04-20-2016, 07:35 PM
I will have this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DN6GUC/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005DN6GUC&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag46632-20 My old oven is a piece of garbage. When I fixed it I noticed that the bottom panel inside the oven had rusted out. I was going to buy a replacement but replacement parts for appliances are a huge ripoff so I put a sheet of tin foil over it and started doing research. I want that Frigidaire. It is not the best. It doesn't cost over $3,000 either. It is good enough for me. The only thing good I can say about my old one is that it works.

LizStreithorst
04-20-2016, 07:36 PM
I've got the yearning for chiles poblanos rellenos, frijoles refritos, and spanish rice. I'll have to wait until the weekend.

rickztahone
04-20-2016, 08:43 PM
I will have this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DN6GUC/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005DN6GUC&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag46632-20 My old oven is a piece of garbage. When I fixed it I noticed that the bottom panel inside the oven had rusted out. I was going to buy a replacement but replacement parts for appliances are a huge ripoff so I put a sheet of tin foil over it and started doing research. I want that Frigidaire. It is not the best. It doesn't cost over $3,000 either. It is good enough for me. The only thing good I can say about my old one is that it works.

free shipping, can't beat that!

rickztahone
04-20-2016, 08:45 PM
I've got the yearning for chiles poblanos rellenos, frijoles refritos, and spanish rice. I'll have to wait until the weekend.

man, that made my mouth water! I had that on my trip to Encenada Mexico last year. It was a class and we all got to make them and eat our own creations at the end of the class. Lets just say mine was the spiciest of the lot, but I feel it was the best tasting, if you like for your nose to run that is, lol.

LizStreithorst
04-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Your recipe for the chiles rellenos, pretty please...The ones that I had when I lived in Puebla were just battered and fried with no salsa poured over them. they were very simple but they sure were good.

LizStreithorst
04-20-2016, 09:25 PM

Dang, it does say free shipping! It will be at least a month, perhaps two before I'll be able to buy it. I hope it's still available for that price when I'm ready to buy. My food forum people are wanting me to look at the GE Adora. I can't find any reviews and I'm very down on GE appliances ATM.

rickztahone
04-20-2016, 11:27 PM
Your recipe for the chiles rellenos, pretty please...The ones that I had when I lived in Puebla were just battered and fried with no salsa poured over them. they were very simple but they sure were good.

Ok, I am working on the chiles rellenos recipe as well as the mole. I asked my mother-in-law and she was up for telling me the step by step. The way we made the chiles rellenos in Mexico is pretty much how she does it, with egg batter and deep fried, but she adds extra stuff that they didn't in Mexico and it is really good :).

LizStreithorst
05-09-2016, 10:01 AM
I got a pressure cooker last week and used it for the first time yesterday. OMG, I am in love. I made this. It was wonderful. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/quick-easy-pressure-cooker-chicken-and-chickpea-masala.html

rickztahone
05-09-2016, 01:37 PM
I got a pressure cooker for a co-worker once and she says she uses it as much as she can because everything is so delicious. The ironic part is that I got her the pressure cooker but don't have one myself :(

LizStreithorst
05-22-2016, 02:58 PM
This is why I will never be rich...I spend everything I make on my passions. That has always been my way. First it was the auction fish. Last month I replaced my crap nonstick cookware I'd been using for donkey's years with a good stainless set. I love it. The price was good but it was still costly. Then there was the pressure cooker which is a lovely piece of equipment and a huge bargain. They sent two by accident and didn't want the extra one back so I gave it to my neighbor. Friday I ordered $300. worth of valves for the fish room. Yesterday I bought all the stuff necessary to make masa and tortillas from scratch including the whole grain corn. I picked up a real Mexican mortar and pestal made from lava rock while I was at it. That stuff cost a bundle...As long as I was ordering stuff I got a pressure cooker cook book and the bubble bath from France that I can not live without.

I take care not to put so much stuff on my credit card that I can't pay it off every month, but at my age I should be socking money away not spending on my passions. I told my cooking forum people what I had done. The general consensus was that I should keep doing what I'm doing. One lady said that she'd never seen a U Haul behind a hearse. I'm too old to change my ways so I need to stop feeling guilty.

discuspaul
05-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Great outlook - keep it up - pretty much anything that makes you feel better is good for you!
I always try to look at it that way too.

rickztahone
06-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Ok, I asked my wife to make me this for Father's Day :)

https://youtu.be/2sxZ4q2czBM

LizStreithorst
06-10-2016, 10:02 PM
I bought a beef tongue Wed. I wanted to stick it in the brine yesterday but I didn't have a full lb of kosher salt and didn't want to substitute table salt so I stopped by the store and bought the real thing today. The tongue is now soaking in it and will stay there for perhaps 2 weeks. (good things come to those who wait) I wanted to make it like I had it at the Jewish deli's when I lived in NJ. I found this recipe. https://jewishfood.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/pickled-beef-tongue/ I'll slice it way thinner than it's sliced in the pic.

rickztahone
06-10-2016, 10:18 PM
I bought a beef tongue Wed. I wanted to stick it in the brine yesterday but I didn't have a full lb of kosher salt and didn't want to substitute table salt so I stopped by the store and bought the real thing today. The tongue is now soaking in it and will stay there for perhaps 2 weeks. (good things come to those who wait) I wanted to make it like I had it at the Jewish deli's when I lived in NJ. I found this recipe. https://jewishfood.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/pickled-beef-tongue/ I'll slice it way thinner than it's sliced in the pic.

I've never brined anything in my life!

discuspaul
03-10-2017, 05:05 PM
RECIPE FOR PROSCIUTTO-WRAPPED PRAWNS

Recently ran across this recipe and thought I'd post it up as a bit of a 'revival' of this thread:

It's super simple, but super tasty imo- and you prawn/shrimp lovers may want to give it a try:

Ingredients - to serve 2 persons:

A -10-12 Jumbo Prawns or Large Shrimp (5-6 per person)
- 6 thinly-cut slices of prosciutto - halved length-wise
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Freshly Ground Pepper

And:

B - 4-6 large pats of cold butter - approx. 1/4 lb.
- 1 tbspn. each of olive oil & butter
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier, or other orange-flavored liqueur (e.g. Cointreau or Triple Sec)

Prep/Directions:

- Thaw prawns if frozen, and remove shell casings if any, but leave tail attached, or not - your choice
- Dust prawns with all the lemon zest, and season with the ground black pepper
- Wrap each prawn with the cut length of prosciutto slices
- Add the olive oil & butter to a skillet and saute the wrapped prawns over med-high heat for 2-4 minutes each side, until the prosciutto becomes crispy
- Lower heat & add the Grand Marnier to the pan to flame the prawns. Careful with this, the liqueur will likely flame up as soon as it hits the hot pan, and you'll singe your hair &/or eyebrows if your face is too close - LOL
- Remove prawns & plate them, ready for the saucing -
- Remove any excess oil from the skillet, add the orange juice, bring to a low boil over med./high heat, and allow to reduce by simmering for a few minutes
- Gradually add the cold pats of butter, one at a time, whisking continually until the sauce thickens to the consistency you're satisfied with.
- Drizzle the hot sauce over the plated prawns & serve with fluffy basmati rice, &/or whatever other sides you'd like to serve with this dish.
Enjoy - hope you like it - I sure did.

Anybody else want to continue freshening up this thread with another recipe ?
it's fun for me to get new recipes - hope it's fun for you too.

discuspaul
03-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Hey, an update !
I liked this dish so much the first time, I tried it once more with a slight variation, and decided it was most definitely a huge keeper to my recipe list !

All I did, at the tail end, while I was whisking the sauce around on a slow simmer to thicken it, was to add the zest of approx. 1/4 of an orange peel, with a bit of sugar added -
what a difference it made ! - the combination of that extra citrus with the beautiful prawns, and the tasty/salty prosciutto was to turn it into a delectable meal !

I found too, that while I was whisking the sauce, it would help to add a bit of cornstarch in water to accelerate the thickening of the sauce to the consistency I wanted it - and it worked perfectly !

Wow, you've got to give this simple recipe a try - it really is a wonderful departure from the usual way of finishing a prawn dish, either for the main dish, or an appy.

This is definitely an awesome dish to appeal to special company - they'll love it & ask for the recipe- almost guaranteed, imo.
Do give it a try !

Can you tell I'm a real food addict ? Just love it! It's almost as good as S.. !

discuspaul
03-10-2017, 11:44 PM
Hey Ricardo, Liz, Pat, Keith, or a huge number of other food lovers I can't even think of at the moment, where are you when I need you, to give us your thoughts on what you think of this recipe ?

rickztahone
03-11-2017, 01:23 AM
Hey Ricardo, Liz, Pat, Keith, or a huge number of other food lovers I can't even think of at the moment, where are you when I need you, to give us your thoughts on what you think of this recipe ?

Sounds super delicious. It's super expensive top get prawn around here so it isn't something we get often but I will try to give it a try

Ryan925
03-11-2017, 02:17 AM
How about an appetizer that disappears as fast as you can pull it out of the oven ??

Take a fresh jalapeno. Half and de-seed and de-vein. Spread cream cheese. Add a whole fresh shrimp. Wrap in half of a slice of bacon. Broil until bacon is crispy.

These are amazing and everyone raves about them. Takes some time doing all the prep. I prep them and use toothpicks to hold everything together.

Key is 1 shrimp to half a jalapeno and half slice of bacon. Spiral the bacon around it don't wrap it thick

brewmaster15
03-11-2017, 09:53 AM
How about an appetizer that disappears as fast as you can pull it out of the oven ??

Take a fresh jalapeno. Half and de-seed and de-vein. Spread cream cheese. Add a whole fresh shrimp. Wrap in half of a slice of bacon. Broil until bacon is crispy.

These are amazing and everyone raves about them. Takes some time doing all the prep. I prep them and use toothpicks to hold everything together.

Key is 1 shrimp to half a jalapeno and half slice of bacon. Spiral the bacon around it don't wrap it thick

That sound like an awesome appetizer!! MMMMMMmmmmmmm

discuspaul
03-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Yeah, this sounds like a great appie, Ryan - I love some 'heat' - No doubt I'll try it soon !

Ryan925
03-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Yeah, this sounds like a great appie, Ryan - I love some 'heat' - No doubt I'll try it soon !

If you want some heat Paul be sure to leave the vein in the pepper

discuspaul
03-11-2017, 01:24 PM
If you want some heat Paul be sure to leave the vein in the pepper

I do leave some vein in Jalapenos, Ryan, but not in a few other hot peppers that I've used -
some examples are Thai red chilies, and Scotch Bonnets ! Those are just toooo much heat if veining is left in ! LOL

Ryan925
03-11-2017, 02:14 PM
I do leave some vein in Jalapenos, Ryan, but not in a few other hot peppers that I've used -
some examples are Thai red chilies, and Scotch Bonnets ! Those are just toooo much heat if veining is left in ! LOL

Ah a man that knows his scoville ratings lol.

Growing up my grandmother did nothing but cook authentic Mexican food. Heat was never missing that's for sure. I used to love how the whole filled with the smell of her roasting jalapenos and serranos

discuspaul
03-11-2017, 03:30 PM
You're a lucky man Ryan. I love Mexican food, and use a lot of jalapenos, serranos, anchos, and chipotles.
I often cook a few dishes like enchiladas, quesadillas, chimichangas, fajitas, tamales, and others.

Ryan925
03-11-2017, 04:12 PM
You're a lucky man Ryan. I love Mexican food, and use a lot of jalapenos, serranos, anchos, and chipotles.
I often cook a few dishes like enchiladas, quesadillas, chimichangas, fajitas, tamales, and others.

Sounds good Paul. If you don't or haven't roasted your peppers give it a shot. Really brings out intense flavor and aroma

rickztahone
03-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Sounds good Paul. If you don't or haven't roasted your peppers give it a shot. Really brings out intense flavor and aroma

Word of caution, open doors and windows and be careful with the little ones in the room. My son starts coughing like crazy

Ryan925
03-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Word of caution, open doors and windows and be careful with the little ones in the room. My son starts coughing like crazy

That is very true good call Rick. I use some really hot little yellow peppers when I do cheesesteaks. Those ones get me really bad

brewmaster15
03-11-2017, 04:39 PM
When I make my hot salsa, the air can give you an asthma attack!:)

You guys probably already know this but the capsican gets into the skin of your fingers and does not come out with washing. You can seriously burn your eyes if you accidentally rub them even hours after handling hot peppers.

al

discuspaul
03-11-2017, 04:54 PM

Yes, I do occasionally roast the peppers, Ryan.
I often roast the mild Anaheim Peppers for a 'Very Cruz Scallops' recipe which I make quite often.

When I make my hot salsa, the air can give you an asthma attack!:)

You guys probably already know this but the capsican gets into the skin of your fingers and does not come out with washing. You can seriously burn your eyes if you accidentally rub them even hours after handling hot peppers.

al

Been there, done that, Al !!!
I'm real careful now.

Ryan925
03-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Yes, I do occasionally roast the peppers, Ryan.
I often roast the mild Anaheim Peppers for a 'Very Cruz Scallops' recipe which I make quite often.

Been there, done that, Al !!!
I'm real careful now.

Oh I love Anaheim. Hollow them out stuff with Jack cheese and throw them on the grill

RogueDiscus
03-11-2017, 05:11 PM
I have seeds for "chocolate ghost" peppers I plan to grow this year. I don't know if I''ll be able to eat them.

LizStreithorst
03-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Hey, an update !
I liked this dish so much the first time, I tried it once more with a slight variation, and decided it was most definitely a huge keeper to my recipe list !

All I did, at the tail end, while I was whisking the sauce around on a slow simmer to thicken it, was to add the zest of approx. 1/4 of an orange peel, with a bit of sugar added -
what a difference it made ! - the combination of that extra citrus with the beautiful prawns, and the tasty/salty prosciutto was to turn it into a delectable meal !

I found too, that while I was whisking the sauce, it would help to add a bit of cornstarch in water to accelerate the thickening of the sauce to the consistency I wanted it - and it worked perfectly !

Wow, you've got to give this simple recipe a try - it really is a wonderful departure from the usual way of finishing a prawn dish, either for the main dish, or an appy.

This is definitely an awesome dish to appeal to special company - they'll love it & ask for the recipe- almost guaranteed, imo.
Do give it a try !

Can you tell I'm a real food addict ? Just love it! It's almost as good as S.. !

I very much want to make this. I can taste it in my mind's taste buds. I can't make it until next weekend.

discuspaul
03-11-2017, 11:34 PM
Good to hear from you Liz - Can't wait to read your critique of this dish.