PDA

View Full Version : Brine shrimp direct

Debow
03-25-2016, 10:59 AM
I have been looking and trying to bread a few pairs so wile they do there thing thought it be a good time to get a brine shrimp setup this is what I bought. 8oz of grade A eggs and the con hatching rig. Never did brine shrimp before so Interested how it will turn out.

Akili
03-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Good idea to start before hand so you would get to know your hatching rate and time.Also if you need to adjust the salinity and temperature .

Debow
03-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Ya figure they will make a nice snack for my current fish also

Sergey
03-25-2016, 12:39 PM
I got a BBS hatchery dish http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/hatchery-dish-p183.html to play with, it even comes with a small bottle of eggs. Very easy to use, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eCQ1iDpJno explains it very nicely.

Sergey.

Akili
03-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Ya figure they will make a nice snack for my current fish also My neons and cardinals get to enjoy them too.

Debow
03-25-2016, 04:06 PM
I use to buy live foods like black worms and brine shrimp but after hearing about pathogens and such I haven't fed live food in over a year so I will be nice to give the fish a treat.

Akili
03-25-2016, 04:14 PM
I use to buy live foods like black worms and brine shrimp but after hearing about pathogens and such I haven't fed live food in over a year so I will be nice to give the fish a treat. I do feed White worms once in awhile, No Live black worms available in my area .Years ago I had red wrigglers and I am thinking about it again. Also have daphnia indoors during winter and in the rain barrels during summer but have not feed them to Discus yet.

lksdrinker
03-29-2016, 11:35 AM
I just set up a brine shrimp hatchery myself. I had some eggs sitting around for a while that I had purchased from amazon. Looks like I got about a 1% hatch rate if that much lol. So I placed an order with brine shrimp direct hoping for better results. I dont want to ditch the rest of the old eggs just yet though. figure I'll try a little more or a little less salt and see if that changes anything. Any recommendations for the "formula"?

Debow
03-31-2016, 12:52 PM
Go on there web site it gives the correct mix.

Akili
03-31-2016, 01:52 PM
I just set up a brine shrimp hatchery myself. I had some eggs sitting around for a while that I had purchased from amazon. Looks like I got about a 1% hatch rate if that much lol. So I placed an order with brine shrimp direct hoping for better results. I dont want to ditch the rest of the old eggs just yet though. figure I'll try a little more or a little less salt and see if that changes anything. Any recommendations for the "formula"?You can try Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs to get better hatch rate, Here is one method http://www.killies.com/Decapsulating.htm

Debow
04-11-2016, 08:02 AM
So I started a batch of shrimp yesterday after noon and I want to know if you can grow BBS to regular size brine shrimp? Do you have to feed the BBS?

SomeFin's Fishy
04-11-2016, 11:16 AM
The answer is yes, it is possible, but not very practical. You need to have a larger container to grow them in, but you can seldom grow enough of them to really make a difference, unless you're only feeding one pair of fish, or doing it just to see what happens. There are a number of videos on YouTube that show you how you can do it. Also, adult brine shrimp are not really all that nutritious for your fish unless you enrich them before you feed them to your fish. It takes about two weeks to grow bbs to adults.

No, you do not need to feed the bbs. Ideally, you should be feeding all of the newly hatched bbs within 12 hours or so of hatching (sooner if practical). All of their nutrition is in the yolk sack that they have when they hatch. This is the food they use to survive, but the yolk sack is generally used up (absorbed) within the first 12 hours or so. After that, their nutritional value is very limited. You can see this for yourself. When the bbs first hatch, they are a very dark orange, or red. This is due to the yolk sack. By about 12 hours later, as the yolk sack is being absorbed, their color will have changed to a bright orange, indicating that their yolk sack is almost fully absorbed. Within 24 hours of hatching, they will be almost totally clear.

Debow
04-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the information. I think I am going to use most of them for my corals with the batch I made now, Just trying to have it all worked out so if and when I can get a spawn past free swimming I'm ready.