PDA

View Full Version : I think it's a myth...

LizStreithorst
03-27-2016, 02:00 PM
...this thing about fungicides in garden hoses hurting the fish. I knew a guy who used to post on another forum until he got his feeling hurt, took his toys and went home, who said that he'd used silicone #2 to reseal tanks in a pinch and it had never hurt his fish.

I've used old well used garden hoses to fill containers. There were no ill effects. I figured that it was because the hoses had been well used. I had just bought a new "as seen on TV" hose that shrinks down to nothing when the water is turned off and gets big and long when it's under pressure. I don't own a TV so I didn't see it there. My supermarket had it. I bought one and really liked it. It doesn't kink! I decided to buy another before I won the auction fish. Without thinking I hooked it up to the outside faucet I was using to fill their dedicated water storage container. It was two days of flopping on the bottom WC when it occurred to me, "OMG, this hose might be full of toxins". The fish were doing fine so (don't beat me up over this, please) I decided to keep using the hose and just watch the fish. I knew that they would talk to me if I listened to them so I experimented with my most valuable fish. (OK, you can beat me up if you like. I shouldn't have).

Bottom line...I've been using this hose for refill with huge WC for weeks. The fish are perfect. Has anyone had a bad experience using a garden hose to refill tanks or water storage containers? Has anyone had a bad experience using silicone #2? I know what the conventional wisdom is. I want results from actual use of these things.

Phillydubs
03-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Liz,

I use these rubber hoses we use for boilers and plumbing work. I think they may be good year? I don't even know but honestly like you thanks fuly never had any issues I never really through by twice about it but I do believe as you say the fish will tell you.

On a second note thanks for the follow up on thag hose! I've seen them and keep saying I want to get one. I will do so now

pastry
03-27-2016, 02:36 PM
Len, I'm so lazy with the driftwood I throw in that I wouldn't even bat an eye with using a hose ;). That said, when I worked in a really good fish store when 14, 15, we used standard common green garden hoses without a problem ever (brass ends and all).

Keith Perkins
03-27-2016, 04:11 PM
I don't know about hoses, but I can tell you about sponges. There's another guy here in Janesville that decided to get into breeding and selling discus. He bought a bunch of pairs and then went cheap on sponge filters, building his own. He went to the local fabric shop and bought his sponge material. Apparently the story that some sponge material contains toxic flame retardant is not a myth, as he lost 2/3rds of his adults as I remember, wiped out all the juvies and fry that he had, and I don't know if his remaining adults ever fully recovered.

With the stories you hear about what the Lumber Liquidators hardwood flooring from overseas contains I would image some of the cheap hoses from that part of the world could be just as bad. I hear what you're saying about the myth Liz and I'm glad things worked out well for you guys, but I guess for the couple extra bucks potable water hoses cost I'll stick with the better safe than sorry approach for now.

dprais1
03-27-2016, 04:19 PM
I don't know about hoses, but I can tell you about sponges. There's another guy here in Janesville that decided to get into breeding and selling discus. He bought a bunch of pairs and then went cheap on sponge filters, building his own. He went to the local fabric shop and bought his sponge material. Apparently the story that some sponge material contains toxic flame retardant is not a myth, as he lost 2/3rds of his adults as I remember, wiped out all the juvies and fry that he had, and I don't know if his remaining adults ever fully recovered.

With the stories you hear about what the Lumber Liquidators hardwood flooring from overseas contains I would image some of the cheap hoses from that part of the world could be just as bad. I hear what you're saying about the myth Liz and I'm glad things worked out well for you guys, but I guess for the couple extra bucks potable water hoses cost I'll stick with the better safe than sorry approach for now.

Years ago I had a 55gal tank with about 12 baby RES, turtles, also in the tank were a dozen feeder fish that had little bites out of their tails, they had been in the tank for about a week. I decided to go cheap and used a sponge from the hardware or automotive department on whatever filter I was using back then.

Next morning the turtles were fine but all the feeder fish were dead.

Rudustin
03-27-2016, 06:01 PM
I must admit that I have been using the X-hose that is advertised on TV for years now. I have had no problem with my fish or the tanks in anyway. Just my experience. Rufus

Cosmo
03-27-2016, 06:17 PM
myth or not, I would personally wouldn't try it. Food grade hoses are cheap enough on Amazon there's no reason to take the chance IMO. Thank God your babies weren't effected... that would have been a real heartbreaker. But, I don't use hoses, cause I hookup to sinks inside the house and use tubing. Was looking at food grade hoses on Amazon the other day though cause they have a greater diameter and might save me some time. A 25 foot hose I think was about 10 bucks and the 50 footer was about 22 bucks.. cheap enough I'm thinking - now if they would only crinkle up into a small package like your "as seen on TV" ones they'd be perfect lol

mee
03-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Always been my hypothesis that the reason sponges vs hoses show effects is simply that the sponge is constantly running water through it over and over. With the hose the water comes through fast, once and only the water at the outer edge of the flow is actually exposed to the hose material. The hoses are usually treated to keep them from growing stuff inside them, but not to keep stuff from growing on your garden. If given the choice I will always buy a food/pet safe hose, but I think you're very likely fine with what you got Liz, and no kinks sounds very nice and stress free, which actually if I saw one next time I was hunting for hoses, would be very tempting to me as well.

Darrell Ward
03-27-2016, 08:39 PM
I used cheap garden hoses, and brass fittings and valves from the hardware store for years back in the day with no problems at all. Heck, they used to put aquariums together with stuff that looked like tar too before silicone! Who knows what that stuff had in it! It never killed fish either. That said, everything wasn't made in China like today. I would only use 100% silicone to be safe.

nc0gnet0
03-27-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure what stuff back in the day the garden hoses had in them compared to what they "might" have in them today, so I am not sure it's an apples to apples comparison. It would stand to reason that older used garden hoses would have the majority of the anti fungal additive purged from them......

I think the real problem occurs when an amount of water is left in the hose for a period of time, allowing more of the chemicals to leach into the water. Warm water will also leach more chemicals from the hose then cold. I know if you ever drink from a garden hose that is outside, the water coming out will have a strong taste/odor to it until it is flushed, then the odor/taste disappears. With that in mind, if your going to used a garden hose for your fish, I would at least do the same.

LizStreithorst
03-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Good points, Rick. BTW, I'm not suggesting that anyone use garden hoses. the last thing I want is for someone to do it, have their fish die and say, "Liz said it was OK". No horror stories yet, though...

mee
03-28-2016, 09:41 AM
nc0gnet0. very good point indeed.

Yoda466
03-28-2016, 10:39 AM
I'm glad you brought this topic up because I have also wondered about it for years. I know the conventional wisdom, and of course the "better safe than sorry" approach is never wrong. But I also know that probably tens of thousands of fish keepers are using garden hoses every day with no problems. It is all that I have ever used. I am also less worried about it because I use the same hose for both draining the old water and transferring the new. So the hose always gets a nice 40+ gallon rinse-out to the drain before I connect it to the tap for new water. Any leaching that may have occurred from water standing in the hose should be gone. I don't officially recommend this approach to others because I can't prove it can't cause problems. Also, garden hoses can be different. But I have never had a single problem.

Second Hand Pat
03-28-2016, 11:08 AM
I know with my new hoses when you first turn the water on, water coming from the hose foams a bit and clears after a few minutes. Living in Florida most often the water is quite warm sitting in the hose. I do not see this in my older hoses. For me it is a no-brainer to use a potable water hoses for using with my tanks/fish.

pitdogg2
03-28-2016, 01:34 PM

YES that must be flame retardant to be able to sell to the public because it might be used in furniture cushions.

...this thing about fungicides in garden hoses hurting the fish. I knew a guy who used to post on another forum until he got his feeling hurt, took his toys and went home, who said that he'd used silicone #2 to reseal tanks in a pinch and it had never hurt his fish.

I've used old well used garden hoses to fill containers.

Bottom line...I've been using this hose for refill with huge WC for weeks. The fish are perfect. Has anyone had a bad experience using a garden hose to refill tanks or water storage containers? Has anyone had a bad experience using silicone #2? I know what the conventional wisdom is. I want results from actual use of these things.

I have been using regular garden hose's for years with NEVER any problems but I do let them run for a bit. Before going into fish tank I fill my WC tank it with its filters will take out the gremlins. Most of the fear in Garden hoses is from lead that is used in Plasticize'ers most of the better hoses will be some sort of rubber on the inside but not all are.

as for the Silicone #2 NEVER USE anything that has a mildicide or fungicide that will wreck havoc on the fish they will die. I had called GE two weeks ago to check on their "IronGrip" Silicone it said 100% silicone and even has glass in the instructions but the GE Tech told me they no longer recommend any of their Silicone products for aquariums. He would not say why but pushed me to other companies for this now. I have used the GE # 1 for years with never any problems but now will look to All-Glass 100% silicone the price is not much different but I'm just not able to go to the local hardware store to get. Not to mention I'd really like to use black next time I need to.

Iowa_Discus
03-28-2016, 01:42 PM
I used to use the shrinking hoses for water changes, but I switched to potable water hoses because I ran hot water through some of them (I mix the hot and cold water to the correct temp before going in the tanks) and was concerned about the interaction between whatever those hoses are made out of and the heat. Probably doesn't make a bit of difference. I still use the shrinking hoses for other uses like cleaning out tanks, etc. Very handy.

CrazyAngels
03-28-2016, 02:29 PM
the shrinking hoses are made of silicone/latex type material which allows the to expand with no issues like a balloon, I must tell you though that you need to be careful cause all that expansion and contraction will cause the hose to fail at the connector and when it does, oh well you know what will happen if you happen to be in your living room or something like that. Just happen to know from personal experience.:mad:

SomeFin's Fishy
03-28-2016, 02:46 PM
I was always concerned about the stories I'd heard about the chemicals that were used in the manufacturing of garden hoses, whether they were true or not. You only have to run water through a new hose once and smell the strong chemical smell that comes out the other end to become a little cautious. That's why I've always used Python hoses to fill our tanks. I bought a 100' Python hose, fitted the ends with regular brass hose fittings and mounted it on a conventional, plastic hose reel on wheels. With that setup, I can connect it to our bathroom sink and fill tanks all day (or until the warm water runs out). Then, just wheel it back out to the garage.

Liz- I've also been using one of the X-Hoses to fill the tank in my office at work. Obviously, it saves a lot of space, and makes set-up and take down a breeze. I've been using it now for almost a year, and so far have seen no ill effects on the discus. The only thing you have to be careful of is the water pressure. I had one explode on me when I shut off the end that was in the tank, before I shut off the water at the sinl. By the time I got back to the sink, the hose (near the connector) ballooned out, tore the nylon covering and literally exploded all over the office. Luckily, it was only water!

LizStreithorst
03-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the good info CrazyAngels and Mark. The fish said that the crinkle up hose was fine but it's good to know that other humans have used it with their fish and have had no problems with toxicity. I'll only be using this hose for a while longer until my new stands are built and I can move these fish that are in QT in the kitchen to the fish room. I don't think I have to worry about the hose blowing up on me or it's connector blowing off because the hose is new, I always turn off the water at the faucet before I remove it from the water storage container, and besides I'm on a slab and my floor is ceramic tile. I'd have a bit of a mess to clean up but I've cleaned up messes from floods many times before.

Yoda466
03-28-2016, 06:34 PM
For me it is a no-brainer to use a potable water hoses for using with my tanks/fish.

I completely agree with that. I started using a garden hose years before I even knew there was a difference and I have simply carried on with what is working. I do have one interesting experience related to that. I have a camping trailer and a couple of years ago I bought a new hose for it. Bought a drinking water hose from the camper store. That thing puts a terrible taste and smell in the water. I would expect just the opposite. I trust that the hose is safe to use but I am amazed at the effect it has. The taste and smell is much worse after it has been sitting for a while as the water has been stagnant in the hose. So SOP is to run the water for about 30 seconds to clear the hose of plastic smelling water. Strange.

Iowa_Discus
03-29-2016, 12:37 AM
the shrinking hoses are made of silicone/latex type material which allows the to expand with no issues like a balloon, I must tell you though that you need to be careful cause all that expansion and contraction will cause the hose to fail at the connector and when it does, oh well you know what will happen if you happen to be in your living room or something like that. Just happen to know from personal experience.:mad:

This is a really good point, they do fail regularly. When they do fail, they just deflate and water goes everywhere. They are fairly cheap so it's worth it to me and I keep some spares around.

Jack L
03-29-2016, 10:52 AM
i have used variety of garden hoses, never had an issue.

rickztahone
03-29-2016, 02:19 PM
$10 for a 25ft hose that is safe. Wasn't a big deal to simply buy the correct hose for such a low cost.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-22783-TastePURE-Drinking-Water/dp/B004ME11FS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

LizStreithorst
03-29-2016, 05:35 PM
$10 for a 25ft hose that is safe. Wasn't a big deal to simply buy the correct hose for such a low cost.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-22783-TastePURE-Drinking-Water/dp/B004ME11FS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Ricardo, it wasn't the cost of the hose in my case. I was setting up QT in a room removed from the fish room with all sterilized equipment. I thought I had everything but I didn't. I had ALMOST everything. I forgot about a heater for the water storage container. Dear Ryan saved me a bunch of money and a 50 mile round trip and sent me a heater along with the fish. He so kind. I don't forget a good deed.

I didn't even think about the hose until I'd done flopping on the bottom WC for 2 days. The fish were fine and happy! They continue to be fine and happy. They bite my fingers when I press the FDBWs on the glass. I have read so far that my shrinky hose has it's problems but they are not related to anything toxic to the fish. Actually I have read nothing from anybody here that has ever had a problem using a water hose.

If I were perfect I'd have though of everything. I'm not perfect, sorry. I found out something interesting by not being perfect. My hose is safe, other garden hoses are safe according to the members who have posted. Rick is the only one who made a good point. I will not make this mistake again with a new hose, but I feel comfortable using this hose I'm using.

Yoda466
03-29-2016, 06:07 PM

I must say I did not know they were available that cheap. I use a 50 footer but even that is only about $20. I probably paid about that for my hardware store garden hose. I'll keep using it because it works but if I ever need another fish hose I will probably order one of those. Thanks.

rickztahone
03-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Ricardo, it wasn't the cost of the hose in my case. I was setting up QT in a room removed from the fish room with all sterilized equipment. I thought I had everything but I didn't. I had ALMOST everything. I forgot about a heater for the water storage container. Dear Ryan saved me a bunch of money and a 50 mile round trip and sent me a heater along with the fish. He so kind. I don't forget a good deed.

I didn't even think about the hose until I'd done flopping on the bottom WC for 2 days. The fish were fine and happy! They continue to be fine and happy. They bite my fingers when I press the FDBWs on the glass. I have read so far that my shrinky hose has it's problems but they are not related to anything toxic to the fish. Actually I have read nothing from anybody here that has ever had a problem using a water hose.

If I were perfect I'd have though of everything. I'm not perfect, sorry. I found out something interesting by not being perfect. My hose is safe, other garden hoses are safe according to the members who have posted. Rick is the only one who made a good point. I will not make this mistake again with a new hose, but I feel comfortable using this hose I'm using.

I probably should have added more text. I didn't add the link to mean to say you were being frugal, but rather, I provided it for anyone thinking of getting a hose and thinking that the food grade ones are too expensive.

delta5
04-09-2016, 09:07 AM
When I first started keeping fish I used a cheap garden hose that stays outback, laying on the ground the whole year. I was a teen with my first goldfish and 55g tank. Ran the hose into the house to refill and never had a problem.

LizStreithorst
04-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Based on the responses I do think that the hose thing is a myth. Still, I recommend that everyone use a potable water hose rather than find out the hard way that they should have but didn't.

Akili
04-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Based on the responses I do think that the hose thing is a myth. Still, I recommend that everyone use a potable water hose rather than find out the hard way that they should have but didn't.Good recommendation,Time for me to change the hose, takes close to 50 minutes to fill a 44 gallon barrel with 25' Indoor Plant Watering Hose 1/4 inch.Perhaps I will save some fill up time and be on the safe side for my fish.

LizStreithorst
04-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Get a 5/8" hose. Most potable hoses are 1/2". I can't imagine using a 1/4' hose. I have a room full of tanks that need WC every day.

Akili
04-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Get a 5/8" hose. Most potable hoses are 1/2". I can't imagine using a 1/4' hose. I have a room full of tanks that need WC every day.Thanks Next month's budget, got myself a Alita AL-40 Air Pump yesterday.

Keith Perkins
04-16-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm sure this is far from the final word on the garden hose debate, but ran across this this morning.

http://www.ecocenter.org/healthy-stuff/reports/gardening-water-hoses

rickztahone
04-17-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm sure this is far from the final word on the garden hose debate, but ran across this this morning.

http://www.ecocenter.org/healthy-stuff/reports/gardening-water-hoses

thanks for the link

Willie
05-14-2016, 06:39 PM
I'm glad it worked for you, Liz. The garden hoses at the local Menards specifically say that they should not be used for potable water. I buy RV hoses which cost a little more, but they're also much sturdier than garden hoses.

Willie

LizStreithorst
05-14-2016, 06:55 PM
I got adventurous because I think that this is a myth. I bought expensive 1" hoses for draining and refilling. I like my WCs to go fast. They say that they are not made for potable water. It's been a couple of months now. No problems so far. Fish are happy. Fish spawn and raise fry in the water.

I have yet to see anybody post anything about bad results using a garden hose or any other hose they use that is not a potable water hose. I'm still waiting. Until I hear otherwise I say that this is a myth.

Jack L
05-16-2016, 06:20 PM
what 1" hose did you get? i'm thinking that might help me speed up my process too. at least the fill part from the pump/water drum.

probably can't use it on my drain side as it would suck out plants/sand

LizStreithorst
05-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Hold on to your hat because they cost an arm and a leg. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EF0G8UM?dpID=410dhYHYb-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=AGHZX6Z7VNVPAPQ7T18Y&ref_=pd_lutyp_qpp_86_7_3

This is a less expensive option. It is an excellent hose but it is actually a 3/4" hose with 1" fittings and not the quality of the true 1" hose. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200654335_200654335

rickztahone
05-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Hold on to your hat because they cost an arm and a leg. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EF0G8UM?dpID=410dhYHYb-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR160%2C160_&refRID=AGHZX6Z7VNVPAPQ7T18Y&ref_=pd_lutyp_qpp_86_7_3

This is a less expensive option. It is an excellent hose but it is actually a 3/4" hose with 1" fittings and not the quality of the true 1" hose. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200654335_200654335

lol, I think you found that out the hard way Liz (read your review lol)

LizStreithorst
05-16-2016, 07:00 PM
I did indeed, Ricardo. I ended up buying 3 of the expensive ones (turns out I got by with 2, oh well...) The second quality one I use for pumping my RO water to the tanks so it was not a waste at all. When I have fish in QT in the kitchen I put the two hoses together and can pump water from the storage container to the kitchen tank. I spent too much money, I know. But it was money well spent. I'll never have to buy a hose for the rest of my life. If you want them when I'd dead I'll put you in my will ;)

rickztahone
05-16-2016, 08:51 PM
I did indeed, Ricardo. I ended up buying 3 of the expensive ones (turns out I got by with 2, oh well...) The second quality one I use for pumping my RO water to the tanks so it was not a waste at all. When I have fish in QT in the kitchen I put the two hoses together and can pump water from the storage container to the kitchen tank. I spent too much money, I know. But it was money well spent. I'll never have to buy a hose for the rest of my life. If you want them when I'd dead I'll put you in my will ;)

:laugh:

Jack L
05-17-2016, 06:30 PM

My hat fell off

two utes
06-24-2016, 02:39 AM

I've used old well used garden hoses to fill containers. There were no ill effects. I figured that it was because the hoses had been well used. I had just bought a new "as seen on TV" hose that shrinks down to nothing when the water is turned off and gets big and long when it's under pressure. I don't own a TV so I didn't see it there. My supermarket had it. I bought one and really liked it. It doesn't kink! I decided to buy another before I won the auction fish. Without thinking I hooked it up to the outside faucet I was using to fill their dedicated water storage container. It was two days of flopping on the bottom WC when it occurred to me, "OMG, this hose might be full of toxins". The fish were doing fine so (don't beat me up over this, please) I decided to keep using the hose and just watch the fish. I knew that they would talk to me if I listened to them so I experimented with my most valuable fish. (OK, you can beat me up if you like. I shouldn't have).

When l set up my first tank, l needed a piece of hose, and just went outside and cut off the required length off my garden hose that was in the back yard....that was about 20 odd years ago, and l have never had any issues with it.....l'm more interested in your comment about not owning a t.v? ;)

Jack L
09-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Liz, your post about the larger hose size got me thinking.

i bought the size up vinyl hose that i use for water changing. went from 1/2" interior diameter to 5/8" and even though it was only 1/8th more it still took several minutes off drain time.

LizStreithorst
09-11-2016, 10:12 AM
You would not believe the difference a 1" hose makes. It's a shame that they're so expensive.

Jack L
09-11-2016, 12:07 PM
You would not believe the difference a 1" hose makes. It's a shame that they're so expensive.

well, my plants and sand substrate might note survive that. this newer hose is a little to much power, but i like the speed,...so i risk it : )

Keith Perkins
09-11-2016, 09:07 PM

I bought a length of rigid tube for under gravel filters and some clear plastic tubing that just fits over it long enough to run from my tank to my pvc drain lines. Talk about drain a tank quick with just a siphon, that diameter does it.