PDA

View Full Version : What strain is this discus?

Ctackett
03-28-2016, 05:24 PM
96245 the one on the left

Ctackett
03-28-2016, 05:25 PM
The bottom

John_Nicholson
03-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Looks like an unhealthy leopard of some sort to me.

-john

Ctackett
03-28-2016, 05:42 PM
What do you think is wrong with it?

Ctackett
03-28-2016, 05:53 PM
I bought some discus About a month ago and the guy I bought them from said he would sell me that one for 50 dollars so I bought it but it is looking kind of iffy he said he didn't know what strain it was. It hasn't really been very active since I bought it

discuspaul
03-28-2016, 06:34 PM
What do you think is wrong with it?

It looks to be in very poor condition - reason: very likely due to being kept in poor water quality & conditions for quite some time.
Condition & coloration could be improved with a regular routine of large, frequent wcs, a good accompanying tank cleansing routine, and a solid nutritious diet.

John_Nicholson
03-29-2016, 08:39 AM
It could be anything but as stated about probably just poor care. The guy sold it to you cheap because he expects it to die. Buying cheap discus seldom works out. Lets assume for this example that the discus you just bought has internal parasites they are now in your tank so any quality discus that you now buy will end up with the same issue. It is a common mistake made by new people that are trying to save a buck. In the long run it normally cost them at least twice what it would have cost to buy quality fish to start with.

-john

DISCUS STU
03-29-2016, 10:30 AM
It could be anything but as stated about probably just poor care. The guy sold it to you cheap because he expects it to die. Buying cheap discus seldom works out. Lets assume for this example that the discus you just bought has internal parasites they are now in your tank so any quality discus that you now buy will end up with the same issue. It is a common mistake made by new people that are trying to save a buck. In the long run it normally cost them at least twice what it would have cost to buy quality fish to start with.

-john

This is correct but at $50 it's not really a bargain anyway. This is a sick fish that I wouldn't hold out much hope for. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it appears to have some type of internal parasites. The long and the short term prognosis are not good, even for survival.

I wish you well in this hobby. Quarantine for ALL new fish is a necessity.

I would try to get my money back.

Phillydubs
03-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Wow... $50... I missed that part, that's no deal at all!

DISCUS STU
03-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Looks like a Hexamita infection or some other type of parasite as the feces should be dark and not light in color.

I would suggest treatment in a separate tank after you've visited the "Disease" section and filled out the questionaire.

Best of luck.

Akili
03-29-2016, 04:09 PM
The sooner you get them all in a quarantine tank the better chance of them getting better.

Davidzil
03-29-2016, 04:49 PM
I am curious, if you have to treat them all, why get them in the QT?
Why not treat the tank, I am not even talking about treatment here, just in general.

ssevasta
03-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Usually a qt tank has a separate filter running on it and they're always set up as a BB tank. Many medications will nuke the beneficial bacteria colonies in your filter which would cause an ammonia spike. For that reason most qt tanks will just have an air stone and 100% or 200% daily water change regimen. FYI an ammonia spike is usually enough to break the camel's back when your fish are already sick and stressed out. Good luck.

warblad79
03-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Wow... $50... I missed that part, that's no deal at all!

Even if the fish is free I wouldn't even dare taking it home.

Ctackett
03-29-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the help, I've moved the fish and starting meds today

Akili
03-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the help, I've moved the fish and starting meds todayJust one or all of them? Chances are they all are infected