PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Cones / Feeding Rings

jer858
03-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Aye guys, long time no see. I've been browsing the boards a lot since my initial post and have been learning a lot along the way.

Anyways, I'm looking for a cleaner way to feed my freeze-dried bloodworms and brine shrimp without making a total mess of my tank. I went with a thin layer of gravel (~.5" against popular opinion) over an under-gravel system instead of the eyesore that is a bare-bottom tank.. Since this tank is for display,bits of food everywhere is a bit of an eye sore. Half of my discus are willing to feed from the surface and the others prefer to eat while food is floating or at the bottom, so anything that could localize the mess/fall would be a great improvement from where I currently stand. I gravel vac daily to keep the nitrates in check, but I'd feel more confident if the excesses food was in mostly one corner, In the quest for a solution, I found these feeder cones / rings that seem like a decent idea in theory but I'm wondering if any of you have firsthand experience with these. Does it contain the mess? Do the cones work for dead worms also?

Any suggestions on a better 'floating' food, or nutritious foods are appreciated. Currently feed a rotation of brine shrimp, Cobalt flakes, Omega garlic pellets, Bloodworms, Omega color flakes on occasion.

rickztahone
03-29-2016, 01:41 PM
I actually use both of these in my tank. The feeding station is where I place my pellets and flakes. It contains the food to that area if it floats. I wouldn't feed this food without turning off my return pump otherwise. This saves me from turning it off and the discus know to pick at it from the feeder station. The cone I use specifically for the FDBW. I invert the cone and they eat all the cubes through the holes.

I hope that helps.

CrazyAngels
03-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Ricardo, where did you get yours?

rickztahone
03-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Ricardo, where did you get yours?

Not sure where I got them from originally Jorge but I found one on Amazon for cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-Aquarium-Suction-Station-10cmx10cm/dp/B00JR5CLQK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459279438&sr=8-3&keywords=fish+feeding+station

I got my blue cone from Al when I got the discus from him, but have seen them sold by Dan here:
http://aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormAccessoriesM.html

jer858
03-29-2016, 04:39 PM
I actually use both of these in my tank. The feeding station is where I place my pellets and flakes. It contains the food to that area if it floats. I wouldn't feed this food without turning off my return pump otherwise. This saves me from turning it off and the discus know to pick at it from the feeder station. The cone I use specifically for the FDBW. I invert the cone and they eat all the cubes through the holes.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the reassurance, both should arrive in the mail two days from now and I cant wait. For the feeding ring, I went with a circular one instead of the square because I was worried food would just gather in the corners, making it hard for the fish to get at. Have you had that problem at all?

rickztahone
03-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, both should arrive in the mail two days from now and I cant wait. For the feeding ring, I went with a circular one instead of the square because I was worried food would just gather in the corners, making it hard for the fish to get at. Have you had that problem at all?

nope, not all, but then again, my discus are just fat pigs!