PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Regimen for Juvenile Discus

Snowflake
03-30-2016, 03:45 AM
Hello dear good people of SD,

Finally I have decided post my first thread after being a lurker for a long time.

I really wanted to keep discus for a long time and been reading and learning a lot here, however my wish was to start with juveniles (although not recommended here for newbies). Hence, I have started with a population of 7 on 27th (juvies, of which 1 died after 3 days, was not eating and was separated from the group) and currently going strong with the remaining 6 in a 100 lt temporary tank (will shift them to my current 300 lt Malawi aquarium after my friends aquarium is cycled and my cichlids are sold to him). My discus tank (BB) is unfortunately not cycled yet since I was in a search for discus for 1 month and recently found the only reliable source available to me in Turkey (İzmir). Didn't want to miss the opportunity and couldn't resist the urge to buy them and here I am (1 killed and me sorry for the loss).

Back to the topic, I have initiated the following WC and feeding regimen (besed on my strict working hours 07:00 - 19:30) for my guys. Would you please check based on your expertise and correct it for me if need be:

19:30 - Feeding 1: BH mix (thanks John, your recipe is great)
20:30 - Syphon extra BH mix and 10% WC (10 lt at 28 oC)
23:30 - Feeding 2: BH mix
00:00 - 50% WC (50 lt at 28oC)
05:00 - Feeding 3: BH mix
06:00 - Syphon extra BH mix and 10% WC (10 lt at 28 oC)
10:00 - Feeding 4: FDBW (Eheim auto feeder)
15:00 - Feeding 5: FDBW (Eheim auto feeder)

Currently I have an ammonia alarm of Seachem and it shows safe (<0.02 ppm) all the time before a WC. Testing the nitrite and nitrate with a Sera quick test strip (which I know that is not very reliable) and the results are 0 nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate (seems to be cycled but I don't see how). Have no nitrate in tap water. The WC water is always 24h aged, heated to tank temperature (28 oC) and I have a pH difference of +0.6 in aged water with respect to tap water. The tank pH is 8.8 and stable always.

Thats it! I hope that the information provided above is enough for you to hear your valuable comments and recommendations.
Thanks a lot in advance guys and girls.
Happy to be here...

Akili
03-30-2016, 06:58 AM
What is the size of the Juveniles? Your feeding and water changing schedule looks good to me.Make sure that when the Malawi aquarium is empty you completely sterilize it and everything in it in order to avoid cross contamination.Sooner you get the 300l ready the better it is for your Discus as you are aware that 100l is very small to raise juveniles. Looking forward to update with photo if you can.

Snowflake
03-30-2016, 07:10 AM
What is the size of the Juveniles? Your feeding and water changing schedule looks good to me.Make sure that when the Malawi aquarium is empty you completely sterilize it and everything in it in order to avoid cross contamination.Sooner you get the 300l ready the better it is for your Discus as you are aware that 100l is very small to raise juveniles. Looking forward to update with photo if you can.

Hey Akili,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. The size of the juveniles range between 1.5" - 2". I plan to sterilize all the tank and the equipment with bleach and neutralize with vinegar before introducing the discus to the 300 lt, as you have suggested. Plan to keep it BB and continue to the feeding and WC regimen described in my post. I hope it works and I manage to keep them alive and most importantly happy and healthy! Since the soon death of one of them left a deep impact on me, I will try my best because I love this fish...

I will sure update my post with some photos as soon as I get home from work tonight.

Thanks again for your time.

John_Nicholson
03-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Your approach should work fine. I however only feed twice a day and it has worked well for me for 20+ years.

-john

Snowflake
03-30-2016, 08:08 AM
Your approach should work fine. I however only feed twice a day and it has worked well for me for 20+ years.

-john

Well you're a pro John. Pros have champion juvies, newbies like me have rookie juvies. :) Anyway, feels good to be approved by the experienced people, will definitely follow your lead as soon as you have a recommendation for me.

Thanks a ton.