PDA

View Full Version : Extremely sick discus - please help

Jake28
03-31-2016, 07:13 AM
I am extremely new to discus but they all seemed so healthy not so long ago. 2 weeks ago i introduced 2 new discus and thats where my problems began. I looked like it had a small worm on its body. This is when there body then turned velvety and slime was extremely thick on some fish. I have tried salt baths, discus wormer plus, melafix and blue planet fluke and tapeworm tabs. Nothing had worked. I have gone from 7 to 5 and my cobalt is not far from dying either. Their stools are also white and they hang at the top in groups near the filter. But the slime is very thick and coving their entire body. They also won't eat.

Water is

Ph. 7.2
Am. 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Gh 7
Kh 5

I have completed 50 percent water changes daily and transferred to a quarantine tank. I have attached a photos. The second photo is of the worst who was black but is now dying. Please help me cure this.

Second Hand Pat
03-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Jake, these guys are pretty bad off and not sure if they can be saved. What is the temp in the tank? Looks to be an external bacteria infection. ATM I would suggest dropping in an extra airstone to see if you can relieve their breathing. If the temp is above 82/83 ease it back down to 82/83. The whitish look to the fish in the first picture is it losing it's slime coat.

Did you move a mature filter to the QT?
Pat

Jake28
03-31-2016, 08:25 AM
Jake, these guys are pretty bad off and not sure if they can be saved. What is the temp in the tank? Looks to be an external bacteria infection. ATM I would suggest dropping in an extra airstone to see if you can relieve their breathing. If the temp is above 82/83 ease it back down to 82/83. The whitish look to the fish in the first picture is it losing it's slime coat.

Did you move a mature filter to the QT?
Pat

Oh my. The temp is 84. I placed media from my established sump into the filter. Water changes daily. Approx 50 percent. Not sure what else to do

Jake28
03-31-2016, 08:30 AM
Another air stone added also. I got metronidazole today and have just added. Not sure if this is correct but im trying everything i can

Second Hand Pat
03-31-2016, 08:31 AM
Are you getting any ammonia spikes prior to the water change?
Pat

Jake28
03-31-2016, 08:34 AM
Can i add an anti fungal also. I have not done this but their finds are frayed

Jake28
03-31-2016, 08:35 AM
I had .25 did the change and .25 so did another 50 with my established tank water as it is 1100 litres and now it is reading 0

rickztahone
03-31-2016, 10:36 PM
you don't need established tank water, you need FRESH water.

Jake28
04-01-2016, 02:34 AM
you don't need established tank water, you need FRESH water.

I've done this today another 50 percent. Any advise on how to cure the open wounds on one that have risen overnight. Like pitted marks with fin rot. Can i use meds or just water changes. Open to any good advise at this stage

rickztahone
04-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Honestly, there is one that I would have already culled outright, maybe even 2. I would simply recommend frequent water changes with aged water.

Jake28
04-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Thanks Rick. I will give this a go and fingers crossed. Thanks.