PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate gone

ksuyen
04-01-2016, 03:11 PM
My nitrate has been showing funny readings. I have completed my cycle weeks ago with ammonia and nitrite showing zero for month. With a constant PH, KH and GH, my Nitrate reading peaked last week when it reached 20mg/l every 2 days (5 discus, 20 rummy, 2 cory). So I have been doing 50% water changes every second day. Starting this week however, my Nitrate never reached 5mg/l. I noticed no differences in feeding, if any, I even feed more now with frozen mix, yet the Nitrate never gone over 5mg/l even after the third day. I am thinking to cut back the water changes to twice a week. The tank is 55 gallon with no plants, only hardscape and ADA sand.

brady
04-01-2016, 03:44 PM
It might very well be your water supply with seasonal fluctuations. Are you on a well,
municipal supply? I would check your incoming water before it goes into the tank.
If that's all good then I would up the w/c to daily 75-90%.
Good luck mate

LizStreithorst
04-01-2016, 03:53 PM
If you want the Discus to be happy don't change any less that 30& every two days. With Discus it's not all about water parameter readings.

Akili
04-01-2016, 05:06 PM
If you want the Discus to be happy don't change any less that 30& every two days. With Discus it's not all about water parameter readings.No argument here if only folks would keep in mind that Discus just need lots of fresh, clean, warm water every day if possible.

pastry
04-01-2016, 05:23 PM
If you want nitrates in a newly setup 55 with that stock then just wait... It'll come... Even after cycling. Otherwise, up the wc's. Not trying to be too much of a smart@$$... just trying to help

ksuyen
04-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Actually I blame water changes and my feeding habit for my lack of nitrate :) I do large water changes every second day but only feed a small amount of food (I literally 'spooning' it to the fish bit by bit to avoid any of them fall to the bottom of the tank) at least ten times in a day (from 8am to 6pm). I measured my water parameters daily and found out that I have Nitrate, just below 5mg/l.

pastry, my tank done cycling, that's why my Nitrate was registered 20mg/l before. It drop to below 5mg/l only recently, which is why I found it strange (ammonia and nitrite is always zero). I thought there would be bacteria that consumes Nitrate. Apparently not, it's all about water changes, stock balance and possibly deep sand anaerobic bacteria (as unlike as it sounds, because that's how my saltwater tank never had any Nitrate).