PDA

View Full Version : Tall Drink Of Water - 175 Gallons Worth

Easttxdiscus
04-01-2016, 04:15 PM
So I have been juggling the idea of replacing my 60 gallon freshwater with 2 discus in it for a larger tank. I got the approval through the Mrs. to go see if the fish store had anything new. So we go and scour around for a minute only to lastly stumble upon, well the reason for this story, a brand new (highly discounted might I add) A.G.E 175 gallon full custom bull nose aquarium. The best thing about this tank is the insanely bent front is GLASS and not acrylic. Some people might not be as fond of the tank specs as I am but here they are: 44 x 31x 41.... Yes you read write 41" tall....imagine the possibilities :idea:
The tank is drilled for closed loop on the bottom and also has a drilled surface overflow box for the sump that will reside underneath. The stand measures 34" tall and has 2 quarter circle doors (1 on each side) for access to equipment underneath. There will also be a matching canopy on top.

This tank will be my first real dive into a heavily stocked discus aquarium, something I have studied and researched on now for quite some time. I have had fresh and saltwater aquariums for over 20 years now, I think I'm up for the challenge.

I have ordered all of the main equipment needed as I will be setting up (hopefully) next weekend. Once things start to show up I will post more along with pics.

Thanks for tagging along in the journey!

Akili
04-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus,looking forward for updates with pictures.

Easttxdiscus
04-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus,looking forward for updates with pictures.
Thanks for the hospitality.
One question - what tank mates have people successfully housed with discus, maybe outside of the norm tetras, Cory's, blue Rams, outside of the normal listed, etc?.......just trying to see if there's something interesting I might have missed. This tank does have plenty of room for roaming....you really see it in person.

rickztahone
04-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the hospitality.
One question - what tank mates have people successfully housed with discus, maybe outside of the norm tetras, Cory's, blue Rams, outside of the normal listed, etc?.......just trying to see if there's something interesting I might have missed. This tank does have plenty of room for roaming....you really see it in person.

Personally, my favorite fish to keep with discus is.....drumroll.....discus. :)

I've always been one that is scared that a $2 tetra will have some disease and wipe out my much more expensive discus. I know others do this all the time, but I just don't like mixing any more. When I did, I kept rams and ghost shrimp, and that is about it I think. Oh, and ABNP's

Dhavalsp
04-02-2016, 01:17 PM
if you are planning one of the planted tanks with sand substrates...i would also consider some of the geophagus species....i think they are pretty neat and would help in sifting the substrate from time to time....given the dimensions, i am pretty sure cleaning is going to be difficult...but i have a feeling this is going to be a magnificent tank...looking forward to pics....take your time(6+ weeks) with quarantine process if the plan is to mix multiple fish...

Easttxdiscus
04-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Personally, my favorite fish to keep with discus is.....drumroll.....discus. :)

I've always been one that is scared that a $2 tetra will have some disease and wipe out my much more expensive discus. I know others do this all the time, but I just don't like mixing any more. When I did, I kept rams and ghost shrimp, and that is about it I think. Oh, and ABNP's

I agree that discus are the main focus of the tank and most prefer to keep them separate from other "lesser expensive" fish......but call it "living on the edge". Not really, but i do plan to house a few smaller schooling groups of fish to keep your eyes on the move. To me, a fish tank is not complete with a single species to observe, the interaction amongst different species is what makes the experience.

Easttxdiscus
04-04-2016, 10:05 PM
if you are planning one of the planted tanks with sand substrates...i would also consider some of the geophagus species....i think they are pretty neat and would help in sifting the substrate from time to time....given the dimensions, i am pretty sure cleaning is going to be difficult...but i have a feeling this is going to be a magnificent tank...looking forward to pics....take your time(6+ weeks) with quarantine process if the plan is to mix multiple fish...

I can say I hadn't even thought of that species, but had also never even given any cichlids the chance due to temperament. Any particular you would recommend based on experience Dhavalsp?

Easttxdiscus
04-04-2016, 10:21 PM
OK so equipment started showing up Friday through today...:)
Filtration will be handled by a Fluval FX6 & CPR Aquatics 2000 wet/dry trickle filter. I will also incorporate Chemi-pure Elite within the wet/dry for water purification & clarity. Since the system will have returns at the bottom & top of the tank, I have decided to install a "Y" fitting @ each return for for 2 nozzles per return with 4 return nozzles total in the tank. My hope is this dissipate the return water velocity to a more manageable level for the discus.

The tank will be a sand substrate with multiple large pieces of driftwood and various small/med/large rocks. I will have artificial plants at the bottom, along with a possible mixture of the following: Asst. Anubias, Java moss, Java fern spread midway up in the aquarium attached to the driftwood. Lighting will be handled by 2 Kessil Amazon Sun A150's, along with a yet TBD LED color accenting strip lighting....can't help but think of the potential of beautiful discus under day & accent lighting! I hope to have some teaser photos tomorrow......

Easttxdiscus
04-05-2016, 11:54 AM

Kyla
04-05-2016, 01:17 PM
for some reason i failed to realize this tank was a cylinder ! very cool, cant wait to see it set up.

Easttxdiscus
04-05-2016, 10:00 PM
for some reason i failed to realize this tank was a cylinder ! very cool, cant wait to see it set up.

The tank is actually a very small bull nose style. I will post a side pic, but each side from the back L & R corner of the tank comes out straight approx 15 or so inches, after that it starts its transition into a curved half moon.

Easttxdiscus
04-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Sorry for the "time lapse" in my posts.....Was a busy week last week, although I did get the tank up and running 😄...........Along with 2 leaky bulkheads 😭 that I have since remedied. Lessen learned, never use threaded bulkheads again, slip will work just fine. More pics coming soon!

Easttxdiscus
04-14-2016, 01:59 PM

zchauvin
04-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Nice tank and stand, also like the Achilles painting above.

Easttxdiscus
04-14-2016, 10:54 PM
A couple of photos as the day comes to a close.......enjoy!

Easttxdiscus
04-21-2016, 04:19 PM
So it seems everyone has settled in nicely. I have already done a couple of water changes, had a little algae growing off of the tallest branch in the middle towards the top. Tank seems to have never skipped a beat...if it cycled at all it was minimal. Parameters check out as they should...now onto the fun part

STOCKING NEW FISH ��

So I have been looking/researching on who to purchased my remaining discus from. Listed are the couple I had in mind: Chicago discus; Kenny's discus; Discus Hans USA. Any recommendations or suggestions????

Also, I have read and heard where people recommend that you only source discus from one place to put in the display...any truth to this? I don't have a problem purchasing from same source if this stands true, but still could alter my final decision ever so slightly.

Thanks in advance....

Easttxdiscus
04-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Tank shot of last night....

zchauvin
04-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Lbest to get them all from one source, lower chance of different bacteria and what not. Be sure to quarantine.

Easttxdiscus
04-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Currently I have 2 discus, 4 black skirt Tetras, 4 neon Tetras, 20 cardinal Tetras, one Cory cat , 2 farlowella cats and a Spotted Orange Seam pleco

Phillydubs
04-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Tank looks awesome for starters... How many discus are you looking to stock in there??

Only issue I have or would see is the footprint of that tank.. While gallon wise it is huge, the footprint and/or shape render some of that gallonage sort of useless, at least IMO...

I would just keep this in mind as you stock the tank, your tank is a classic example of where the one fish per 10 gallon rule doesn't and can't really apply due to your style of tank...

As far as your question of sources... I mean you listed almost every great sponsor here... So you can't go wrong, really depends on what you want and your budget, then finding who can provide you the strains that you are looking for...

What are you thinking of going with as far as stocking... That is a very bio-topey and natural look... ever think of going wild discus or some domestic strains with more of a wild side?

Phillydubs
04-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Oh you have inhabitants in that tank already or they are in another tank?

Easttxdiscus
04-21-2016, 05:26 PM
Oh you have inhabitants in that tank already or they are in another tank?

Those fish are currently in the display. Ultimately I will take out the neon and black skirt Tetras....they will be put into a smaller tank once new discus are quarantined. This wil leave discus, Cardinal tetras, Cory cat (will be adding 2 more), farlowellas and orange seam pleco.

Easttxdiscus
04-21-2016, 05:36 PM
As far as stocking levels I had in my mind a plan to stock 8 to 10 total discus of various strains. I understand the 1 gallon per inch of fish rule does not apply, but feel comfortable with said number. Once the additional discus are added this will be it for the display as far as additions.

I do like the overall look of the tank, it does feel bio-topy. The only change to Aquascape is I will be removing the large gray rock holding down the piece of wood on the left-hand side of the tank as it continues to want to float.

I do have hesitations about wild discus, I have heard they are harder to care for than imported tank raised.....any truth to this???? At the same time being in the fish hobby for this long I've always been more comfortable sourcing fish that are tank raised versus wild caught.