PDA

View Full Version : a 6 week cycle of hex???

jim LI
04-05-2016, 08:47 AM
I have an unusual situation with my tank. I have lost 4 fish in about 8 months. 2 were runts, so i figured it was their time. but the last 2 adults were healthy. about 2 weeks before i lost a fish, they would hide, not eat, then i would see white stringy poop. i tried dosing with metro. the last fish to die i placed in a qt tank for 2 weeks, daily w/c, treating with metro, raised temperature to 86 from 82. i have another fish acting the same as all the others i lost. but now i notice white poop again that i hadn't had in the tanks in weeks. is it possible for a parasite to still be around and only show itself after a certain length of time and occasionally show up?? i have a 72 gallon, gravel bottom, 60% daily w/c with 24 hour age water. ammo - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate > 5. temp 82, ph 7.6. any suggestions would be welcomed.

thanks,
jim

John_Nicholson
04-05-2016, 09:36 AM
First hex is completely normal in all fish. Their immune system will normally keep it in check. When you start seeing symptoms it is because something else is wrong. The hex is a secondary issue. The reason it seems to come back is that you are not taking care of the primary issue. Now for the bad news... I have no way of telling you what the primary issue is. I seldom have sick fish but if I do I send one to a fish pathologist and then treat accordingly.

-john

jim LI
04-06-2016, 08:35 AM
thanks john. i guess its wait and see

nc0gnet0
04-08-2016, 03:30 PM
First hex is completely normal in all fish. Their immune system will normally keep it in check. When you start seeing symptoms it is because something else is wrong. The hex is a secondary issue. The reason it seems to come back is that you are not taking care of the primary issue. Now for the bad news... I have no way of telling you what the primary issue is. I seldom have sick fish but if I do I send one to a fish pathologist and then treat accordingly.

-john

Not sure if I would say completely normal, but pretty common might be more appropriate. I don't think I would say it is always a secondary issue (in the true sense of the term), but that is quite common as well. A discus can go off it's feed for a variety of environmental issues, such as bad water quality, stress due to pecking order skirmishes, bad tank placement, etc etc. if this is left unchecked, then a fish that has been keeping hex in check, can suddenly lose it's ability to do so and the hex multiplies quickly.

DJW
04-08-2016, 04:12 PM
A question: If hex is successfully treated with metro for 10+ days, would you say that the parasite has been eradicated from the treated tank, at least for the time being, or merely reduced to low enough numbers for the fish to recover? Also, is hex often reintroduced in the water supply, or just ubiquitous in the guts of aquarium fish?

nc0gnet0
04-08-2016, 07:47 PM
A question: If hex is successfully treated with metro for 10+ days, would you say that the parasite has been eradicated from the treated tank, at least for the time being, or merely reduced to low enough numbers for the fish to recover? Also, is hex often reintroduced in the water supply, or just ubiquitous in the guts of aquarium fish?

That is a very good question to ask this guy:

Stephen A. Smith, MS, DVM, PhD

http://discusnada.org/2016NADAdiscusshow/category/speakers/

DJW
04-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Alas, Chicago is just too far away. It should be an interesting talk.

I found that poultry is affected by the same parasite, and some of what is written about the care of birds is right on target for fish:

"Control of hexamita is reliant on management practices. It is essential to maintain high standards of cleansing and disinfection to prevent the spread of hexamita..."

"It is postulated that most birds carry a low level of Hexamita at all times and it is not until birds become stressed that they are then able to multiply within the birds."

"Birds should have access to clean fresh water at all times..."

http://www.crowshall.co.uk/gamebird-path-rearing.php