PDA

View Full Version : Turquoise spawning already?!?

Jayy
04-06-2016, 08:32 PM
My 220 gallon tank has only had fish in it for about 3 weeks. I've got 10 silver dollar sized pidgeons and 6 turquoise ranging from 3 1/2 to 5". Well about a week ago I noticed my two largest turquoise were palling around together quite a bit. They hung out in a manzanita stump and chased other fish away. I'd see them 'pecking' or picking at the wood as well. Just last night I noticed the smaller of the pair doing a little shimmery dance which I suspected was a mating ritual of some kind.

Well, today I come home from work and find a batch of eggs laid on the manzanita branch! I actually suspect they may have been there for a while and I didn't notice yet since they're kinda on the backside of the branch.

It seems crazy to me that they're breeding this early. The tank was fishless cycled and finished just 3 weeks ago. I saw a small ammonia spike which I managed with Seachem Safe and Stability when I first added fish and for the last 2 weeks I have not had any ammonia.

So what do I do now? Is there any chance of the fry hatching and surviving in my main display tank? Is it possible to move the manzanita stump and the parent discus to a breeder tank? and should I even try, or should I just let this batch go and prepare better next time?

I don't have a breeder tank, although I do have a 20 gallon tank I could setup with a HOB filter.

Jayy
04-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Here are some photos:

I noticed some of the eggs are translucent and others are opaque white. The white eggs are dead, correct? Did they just not get fertilized, or did they die another way? Any way to tell?

Akili
04-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Eggs turn white if they are not fertilized or the water is too hard or too much turbulence. Could be two females spawning or the pair is too young.

Akili
04-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Leave them as they are now and see if you get wrigglers, Let them do their thing a few more times till the pair is confirmed, then set up a breeder tank.

Jayy
04-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Leave them as they are now and see if you get wrigglers, Let them do their thing a few more times till the pair is confirmed, then set up a breeder tank.

Cool, that's what I'll do. I had considered breeding discus but I figured it would be a ways down the road. I guess I'm getting into it much sooner than expected.

This tank does have quite a bit of turbulence, I've got 1300 gph cycling through the sump and back, plus two large airstones. You can see one of the airstones in the photo. Also the water is pretty hard, less so now that I am mixing RO water with tap.

I have a lot of reading to do about how to be successful at breeding.

Akili
04-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Cool, that's what I'll do. I had considered breeding discus but I figured it would be a ways down the road. I guess I'm getting into it much sooner than expected.

This tank does have quite a bit of turbulence, I've got 1300 gph cycling through the sump and back, plus two large airstones. You can see one of the airstones in the photo. Also the water is pretty hard, less so now that I am mixing RO water with tap.

I have a lot of reading to do about how to be successful at breeding.Congrats anyways.I have two pairs in a 90 gallon they spawn like clockwork every 7 to 12 day on opposite ends of the tank but no success. They have been doing that since early December. Lose the eggs two ways either they turn white or they eat them on the second or third day. It is not my water and I have only sponge filters.My Turquoise Pair is doing extereme well in that regard, very first spawn and 26 frys.

Jayy
04-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Congrats anyways.I have two pairs in a 90 gallon they spawn like clockwork every 7 to 12 day on opposite ends of the tank but no success. They have been doing that since early December. Lose the eggs two ways either they turn white or they eat them on the second or third day. It is not my water and I have only sponge filters.My Turquoise Pair is doing extereme well in that regard, very first spawn and 26 frys.

Yeah my main tank is not a good environment for spawning. There's a guy on the classifieds that has a 40 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump that I'm probably going to buy and just use the sump as another tank. I figure I can keep the pair in the 20 gallon and the fry in the 40 gallon. I'll just have to figure out where I am going to keep two additional tanks and build a stand for them. and buy sponge filters and air pumps and heaters etc. etc.

Akili
04-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Yeah my main tank is not a good environment for spawning. There's a guy on the classifieds that has a 40 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump that I'm probably going to buy and just use the sump as another tank. I figure I can keep the pair in the 20 gallon and the fry in the 40 gallon. I'll just have to figure out where I am going to keep two additional tanks and build a stand for them. and buy sponge filters and air pumps and heaters etc. etc.I guess I am lucky in that regard as I never got rid of my tanks from the past.Only thing new I got this time was three new heaters and getting a new air pump on Saturday.By the this is a preety good guide for breeding http://www.discusnada.org/breeding-discus/