PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good plan for breeding?

Jayy
04-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Hi folks,

I've been reading the stickies and posts about breeding discus for the last week and trying to combine all this knowledge into a plan. I have a pair of turquoise who have spawned once already and in the coming weeks I'd like to get breeding tanks setup.

I don't actually know that this is a male and female yet, since in my DT none of the eggs hatched. I have 1350 GPH cycling through this tank along with two large airstones so it's not a good environment for fertilization, and my water is somewhat hard as well. I suspect it's not two females though since the total amount of eggs was not a whole lot (maybe 80?) and if two females both laid them I suspect there will be more. But, nevertheless, I need to confirm it's an actual breeding pair.

Assuming it is a breeding pair, my plan is to setup a separate breeding tank for them. I'm thinking a standard 40 gallon barebottom tank with a pair of sponge filters. Then I'll setup a 55 gallon tank for the fry to grow out in, also with a pair of sponge filters. For both I'll use a combination of RO water and tap water to keep the TDS down. I'll shoot for about 80 ppm in the grow-out tank.

I've read that I can take the eggs away from the parents once fertilized, and raise them separately. I'm wondering, what makes this method better than allowing the parents to raise the fry? Pros and cons etc.

Akili
04-11-2016, 03:38 PM
For breeding a 40 gallon tank and TDS of 80 will workout fine, as to raise the eggs separately..... it is not easy and lots of work and time
however there are a couple of threads in the Breeding Section you can read up on them.

Jayy
04-11-2016, 03:46 PM
For breeding a 40 gallon tank and TDS of 80 will workout fine, as to raise the eggs separately..... it is not easy and lots of work and time
however there are a couple of threads in the Breeding Section you can read up on them.

I read several threads about it and it definitely seemed more difficult. I was basically wondering if there was something about this method that was not stated which made up for the extra hassle.

So it sounds like letting the parents raise the fry is the plan then. Here is a beginner question, how do you siphon the bottom of the tank and do water changes in a tank with small fry without sucking them up?

Akili
04-11-2016, 04:30 PM
I read several threads about it and it definitely seemed more difficult. I was basically wondering if there was something about this method that was not stated which made up for the extra hassle.

So it sounds like letting the parents raise the fry is the plan then. Here is a beginner question, how do you siphon the bottom of the tank and do water changes in a tank with small fry without sucking them up?Yes, what I did was first removed 25% water, carefully wipe the sides and bottom as much as could with disturbing the parents with the fry.After the wipe down wait 5 to 10 minutes for the mess to settle down and then siphoned water till I had 25% left.Refill with aged tap water.

Jayy
04-11-2016, 05:02 PM
I was picturing a bunch of microscopic fry scattered all around the tank, but actually at first they'll be stuck to the parent and when bigger they'll still hover around the parents, so as long as I keep the suction away it won't be as difficult as I assumed. Cool.