PDA

View Full Version : Flow in planted tank

kilnakorr
04-12-2016, 01:20 PM
I have a quick question about flow.
Generally Discus doesn't like much flow in the tank, however in a planted tank flow is necessary to distribute the nutritients.

How do you guys add enough flow to your plants, but still keep your discus happy?

Currently my discus seems to avoid the open area, which I'm pretty sure is because of the flow. I have 2 canister filters and only using spraybars.

nofearengineer
04-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Powerheads...Koralia Nanos are nice for surgical precision flow.

Debow
04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Hydor pico, never used one but looks pretty small. I think they have a flow of 180gpm

Kyla
04-12-2016, 04:23 PM
i used to think the discus would prefer low flow but i recently upgraded to an fx5 which really pushes the water around and my guys seem to love it... still have lots of quiet areas tho as it is a 180g.

rickztahone
04-12-2016, 05:09 PM
I have a quick question about flow.
Generally Discus doesn't like much flow in the tank, however in a planted tank flow is necessary to distribute the nutritients.

How do you guys add enough flow to your plants, but still keep your discus happy?

Currently my discus seems to avoid the open area, which I'm pretty sure is because of the flow. I have 2 canister filters and only using spraybars.

If you give discus a place to hide, they usually will. Give them time to adjust but in a fully planted tank, they will spend most of their time hiding than swimming out in the open.

Kyla
04-12-2016, 08:58 PM
do u have pics? are ur lights adjustable? u could try lowering the output (as long as it is still sufficient for the plants). u could try adding some floating plants for cover too.

ksuyen
04-12-2016, 10:57 PM
I use ViV outflow, the design makes it perfect for isolated strong flow. The water is pushed upwards then spread out, instead of direct flow. My Discus love it. The only problem I have is that it can be tricky to clean the inside tube.

Picture:

nleap
04-12-2016, 11:50 PM
I have a API XP-L which says it is rated at 350gph. I don't think it is actually that much. but I also got another submersible filter pump. I put a sponge filter and a few bio balls in it. I figure if I am going to have a pump push water around and create some surface agitation, I might as well have it also filter the water as well. just a thought.

kilnakorr
04-16-2016, 04:29 AM
Thanks for all the ideas guys.
@Debow. I have been thinking of adding af hydor or 2 since there are cheap and have adjustable flow.
@Ricardo. I had a VERY heavy planted tank and also som big roots in the back. None of the discus where hiding. From my very short time of having discus I haven't seen discus hiding just because it was possible. When they did hide, It was because of other issues, like water quality etc.

I turned of the second canister filter last night, and today the discus are out in the open again. I guess I'll have to play around with the flow some. Might just switch the filter material with somthing that will catch the really fine particles and also reduce the flow.