PDA

View Full Version : Culled 3 of my wild discus

RDFISHGUY
04-12-2016, 06:53 PM
After 5 months of keeping a heckel and 2 alenquers that came in with a group of 8 I'm left with only 2 fish. Some got culled in the first week and this is hopefully the final round. I treated these guys with API General cure and kanaplex and tried epsom salt treatments and in the end they were just stunted, ugly fish. Too bad they traveled all the way to Canada and were in such rough shape. I hated to do it but I should have done it a long time ago. They were eating but they were not showing any improvement. Since my wife left the lid open and one of my cobalts jumped out I figured I might as well make it a day of sorrow.

Akili
04-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Sorry about your loss, Better luck next time.

Kyla
04-12-2016, 08:50 PM
im dragging my heels on culling a couple of discus too, crazy stunted, awful eye chips, one is completely blind in one eye, extended gill tissue (whats this even called?), overall failure to thrive. i just hate doing it so i am putting it off :(

rickztahone
04-12-2016, 09:05 PM
im dragging my heels on culling a couple of discus too, crazy stunted, awful eye chips, one is completely blind in one eye, extended gill tissue (whats this even called?), overall failure to thrive. i just hate doing it so i am putting it off :(

Clove oil is your best option.

Kyla
04-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Clove oil is your best option.

clove oil works well and i dont have any issue putting down a sufferring fish... next step is letting go of the weak ones. i picked up some AquaSed from ebay, designed for anesthetic during fish surgery and euthanasia at 4x the dose. slowly working up to it. this forum helps. i have mad respect for breeders who cull to ensure only strong, healthy offspring are produced and offerred for sale.

Kyla
04-12-2016, 10:28 PM
its not a pleasant responsibility, thats for sure. it sounds like u exhausted other avenues. how are the last two looking?

RDFISHGUY
04-13-2016, 03:07 PM
The last 2 are good. 1 has great shape and the other is getting better by the day.

I watched a show on the discovery channel about lion fish in Florida and they were culling them by putting them in ice water. That's what I did with these guys and it works great. Quickly shuts them down and not as much as a splash. Lots of ice.

I have used clove oil in the past but it has an expiry date and you have to buy it. Water and ice are on hand at most homes in North America and doesn't cost a cent. Clove oil.... not expensive but you have to pay for it. You can find it in most drug stores in the toothache section.

ericNH
04-14-2016, 05:30 AM
Ice water is the method I would use.