PDA

View Full Version : If you knew then what you know now...

chuckiesmalls
04-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Was prepping my 65gal for my incoming shipment from Kenny tomorrow and was just thinking....

Once upon a time....when I first got into tropical fish...I didn't know ANYTHING!!!! I remember doing water changes the first 2 years with a % GALLON water jug and would repeatedly walk it back and forth with dirty/clean water to/from my bathroom...SMH Then I got a water pump.

I see many other methods I should be using.like this sick thin plastic tube I will be using in my 65g for poop clean-age. For instance, instead of a standard siphon on a typical one you can buy on Amazon lets say...Well, you take that BIG siphon off and attach a 3/8" tube in its place to create a thinner suction area that is VERY effective for the clean up of doo doo in BB tanks..or any tank probably for that matter.

Credit goes to Kaylen D. from Socal and all her beautiful Discus Instagram posts. She is on youtube.com as "discus girl"Not sure if she is on SD's site but she helps me out greatly and is always soo soo nice. Here is a link to her step-by-step awesomeness..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqNVO_L61Zo

Simple, simple things that can make our life so, so much easier. Maybe I am a dolt and everyone already knew this..lol (MOST LIKELY).

But hey, if you got any methods you've discovered that make your fish-keeping lifestyle tremendously easier...I would be more than happy to pay attention.

Thanks in advance,

CJ

Phillydubs
04-14-2016, 04:38 PM
That is pretty cool thanks for sharing... More importantly, what are you getting from Kenny!! Hahah...

I still do things pretty old school, some local hobbyist friends just laugh at me sometimes, because I am stubborn in my ways about little things...

Hey, hauling buckets gives me excerize and my boyish good looks! lololol yea right!!

ksuyen
04-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Thanks for sharing, that's very cool idea, although I am more interested in the kind of lid she is using to cover the tank. Back to the topic, I am using this:
96841 and it is a real PITA! It sucks more of my sand than the actual waste.

rickztahone
04-14-2016, 09:24 PM
Thanks for sharing, that's very cool idea, although I am more interested in the kind of lid she is using to cover the tank. Back to the topic, I am using this:
96841 and it is a real PITA! It sucks more of my sand than the actual waste.

They sell these rigid lids at any hardware store. Joey (DIY King) always recommends them as they are very rigid and can hold a good amount of weight. Personally, I don't like them too much as I feel like they are too visible.