View Full Version : The perfect discus tank lighting!

zchauvin
04-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Hi guys with all of the different options on lighting out there and the many threads asking I wanted to share what I am using. I'm sure many of you are familiar with Joey from YouTube who does all the DIY stuff. I recently saw his videos about lighting and picked up a 16.5' led light strip he suggested. For about $40 I was able to make a light for my tank that offers multiple colors, shades of each color, and intensity. You can find it anywheres on eBay from several different sellers. It comes with remote, power supply, and led strip with a sticky side. I did as instructed on video and made my own enclosure and it provide plenty of light and is perfect for viewing your fish without adding excess light although it will not grow plants to my knowledge. For anyone looking for a cheap solutions that gives many options look up Joey on YouTube and check out his DIY light.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/zchauvin72992/IMG_4058_zpsvmjaho98.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/zchauvin72992/media/IMG_4058_zpsvmjaho98.jpg.html)http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/zchauvin72992/IMG_4059_zpsenpon1rk.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/zchauvin72992/media/IMG_4059_zpsenpon1rk.jpg.html)

Phillydubs
04-16-2016, 08:46 PM
What did you use to make he enclosure ?

zchauvin
04-16-2016, 08:53 PM
What did you use to make he enclosure ?

I bought a 10' piece of vinyl gutter and the two end caps, a 5' piece of 3/4" pvc and two 3/4" caps. Screwed onto the sides and wrapped the led strip around the pipe. Lined the gutter with the shiny tape used on ac ducts or range hoods. Looks like a light bulb but with led. $21 at lowes, and $16.99 for the entire LED light setup with free shipping. Cant beat that.

zchauvin
04-16-2016, 09:00 PM
Oh, and you can clearly see in the picture that I wrapped the lights closer together on one side by accident lol. Its brighter on one side than the other.

discuspaul
04-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Looks great, Zach - you're right on - you can't beat that for the price !
Very much worth considering.
Thanks for sharing.

zchauvin
04-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks! I was skeptical at first but glad I made the purchase.

rickztahone
04-17-2016, 04:58 PM
At first I thought you had used a half of a larger sized pvc. Then I thought, that actually might make a great fixture out of pvc due to the end caps and how you could run things out of the end caps themselves. They are round and would offer uniform bouncing of the light as well. Just a thought.

zchauvin
04-17-2016, 05:47 PM
At first I thought you had used a half of a larger sized pvc. Then I thought, that actually might make a great fixture out of pvc due to the end caps and how you could run things out of the end caps themselves. They are round and would offer uniform bouncing of the light as well. Just a thought.

You talking about a joint of larger pvc cut horizontally ?

rickztahone
04-17-2016, 06:51 PM
You talking about a joint of larger pvc cut horizontally ?

Correct.

zchauvin
04-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Correct.

I am sure this could work under the same principle, but as took this idea from someone else I did not put much thought into it lol. The only thing I could see, is that it would take a table saw and steady hand to splice a piece of large pvc. The gutter is a much better choice in terms of not having to do this and already having a casing for the lights. The end caps for these are also flat, and much thinner than the wall of a larger pvc cap so can easily be manipulated without having to have many tools and such. A gentleman at lowes cut the gutter to the length I wanted, and I used a very small drill to do the rest. Took me about fifteen minutes total to assemble. Also, with being in an apartment and having zero patience I decided to not paint it. Once I put the canopy on it will not be seen so it saved some time and money.

rickztahone
04-18-2016, 05:27 PM
I am sure this could work under the same principle, but as took this idea from someone else I did not put much thought into it lol. The only thing I could see, is that it would take a table saw and steady hand to splice a piece of large pvc. The gutter is a much better choice in terms of not having to do this and already having a casing for the lights. The end caps for these are also flat, and much thinner than the wall of a larger pvc cap so can easily be manipulated without having to have many tools and such. A gentleman at lowes cut the gutter to the length I wanted, and I used a very small drill to do the rest. Took me about fifteen minutes total to assemble. Also, with being in an apartment and having zero patience I decided to not paint it. Once I put the canopy on it will not be seen so it saved some time and money.

Good points. I like the rigidity of the pvc and cutting it in half isn't a big deal.