PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Discus Strains for a Planted Tank

Aquacrazed
04-16-2016, 09:52 PM
I want to start a post that I wish existed when I started keeping discus and detail the lessons learned over my 2 1/2 years of keeping discus in a planted tank (although I have many years of experience keeping & breeding other tropical fish.).

I know this is a generalization and assuming you get your discus from a reputable breeder, IMHO, there are hardy strains, medium hardy strains and weak strains. This is especially true when you are planning on keeping discus in a planted tank. I have/had almost all the main strains of Discus except wilds. I know there will be people that disagree with me on this, especially people that keep discus in bare bottom tanks or have a commercial interest on this matter. In my experience, the weak strains are usually the newer strains that are still evolving to be hardy by selective breeding.

Hardy strains:

- Most 9 bar strains, like the blue turquoise varieties
- Pigeon blood strains, like checkerboard pigeons
- Solid blue strains, like blue diamonds

Medium hardy strains:

- Marlborough strains, like red melons

Weak strains:

- Albinos
- Most 14 bar strains like leopards & snakeskins

UV sterilizers:

This is a very controversial topic. For the longest time I didn't think I needed one. I was obsessed with water quality parameters that I could measure (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, conductivity, gh, kh etc.) however I totally missed out on one very important thing. The amount of micro organisms in the water column. In a planted tank there are a lot of surfaces where they can grow and thrive like gravel, drift wood, plants etc. unlike bare bottom tanks. After adding a UV sterilizer, I notice my mechanical filter buildup has been reduced by around 50%. There is less gunk buildup in my tank and also a significant reduction in algae growth. I don't have any solid evidence that a UV sterilizer will give you better success with keeping discus in a planted tank but theatrically the reduction of micro organisms in the water column will make your discus less susceptible to diseases.

Size of discus:

Make sure you get discus that are at least 4" in size, ideally 5" if you want to keep them in a planted tank. Adult discus are a LOT hardier than when they are juvies.

So if you are just starting out with discus, I would recommend only getting the hardy strains (maybe Marlborough's) from a reputable breeder and make sure you only get discus from that one source. Mixing discus from different sources will bring in different types of diseases and create a lot of problems. As for water changes, there is a ton of information on that, be prepared to do more frequent and large water changes unlike with other tropical fish.

Hope this help, just my two cents ;)

Pedroski
04-16-2016, 10:03 PM
What plants did you use? Did you use shrimps?

Thanks!

Aquacrazed
04-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Any plant that can handle the discus temps like amazon swords, anubias, crypts. I've had amano shrimp with discus and they do just fine. If you have bigger discus make sure you also get bigger sized shrimp too or they will end just being discus snacks.

MendoMan
04-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Aren't Marlborough and Red Melon both pigeon blood strains?

Aquacrazed
04-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Marlboro strain is a mutation based on the pigeon blood strain, so it is relatively a newer strain.