PDA

View Full Version : Whirling disease... Help

Mattgrizzlybear
04-21-2016, 06:38 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
I noticed him whirling around the tank last night, just bashing into everything and taking "breaks in between spurts in the top corners or behind the sponge filters. Nothing unusual happened that day. He's now on the bottom of the tank struggling to swim and get up right but can only go in circled headdown and end on his side.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
Clamped fins, always hid and didnt eat much, was always away from the others. Last night started dashing and ramming into things, even trying to jump. Today found him laying on side at bottom of tank trying to struggle to swim but always ends up back where he started. His gills look like they are popping out more than usual but that may be because i can see them more easier now. Breathing is steady but seems slower than others.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
It caught me off guard and all i had was API aquarium salt so 10tbs for the 55g

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
Very new tank, 55g. added fish only 3 weeks ago. All babies 2.5-3".

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
50% every other day or every day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
3 weeks with fish, 2+ months without. Bare bottom. Standard 55g

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
No

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84F__

- ph __7.2__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0_

- nitrate reading __5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water _0__

- municipal water _all_

- RO water _0_

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
Nope, only fish are discus

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Mattgrizzlybear
04-21-2016, 06:58 AM
I have to leave for school. I dont think he'll make the rest of the day

Second Hand Pat
04-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Matt, it will not last the day. You might want to remove it so it does not sit in the tank all day. Sorry.
Pat

Mattgrizzlybear
04-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Matt, it will not last the day. You might want to remove it so it does not sit in the tank all day. Sorry.
Pat

Should i put it in another tank with tank water?

Mattgrizzlybear
04-21-2016, 07:20 AM
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/mattgrizzlybear/media/Discus/D010F97D-E295-43BE-8D9B-632BA0BA816D_zpsjpfps95u.mp4.html Here's a video of him

Second Hand Pat
04-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Should i put it in another tank with tank water?

I would Matt.

Mattgrizzlybear
04-21-2016, 07:35 AM
I would Matt.

I have a 5 gallon. Should i bother with a heater because i have none for that size.

Second Hand Pat
04-21-2016, 07:50 AM
I have a 5 gallon. Should i bother with a heater because i have none for that size.

Matt, I do not think the fish will last the day. You will need to monitor the heater before you leave so it does not cook the fish.

Mattgrizzlybear
04-21-2016, 07:54 AM
Matt, I do not think the fish will last the day. You will need to monitor the heater before you leave so it does not cook the fish.

I'm sorry but I do not understand what you are saying. I have a 5 gallon tank that I could use for him but no heater for it which will surely mean a big temp drop for the fish.

Second Hand Pat
04-21-2016, 08:07 AM
So you have no heater? or too large of a heater for the five gallon?

Mattgrizzlybear
04-21-2016, 09:48 AM
So you have no heater? or too large of a heater for the five gallon?

I mean i do have a small preset heater but it couldnt get it to 80 but the next one up is my 200w backup :/ If he does by some miracle make it, im having my dad stop at a lfs and get some prazi that i'll need anyway to treat the rest of the tank and maybe he could heal (just being optimistic).

Mattgrizzlybear
04-21-2016, 03:22 PM
S/he has passed. Treating rest of the tank with prazipro soon.