PDA

View Full Version : Portage, Wisconsin

ktm4us6
04-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi, I have been a member for 4 years now but took a break from discus due to some family issues. I just started My tank back up again to get back into discus.
Tank is 460 gallon acrylic with assorted amazon swords, vals and gravel substrate. This is my first time having a planted tank with discus in it, so guess I will see how it goes.
I just purchased 9 red alenquer nickel size, and 2 pang eruptions quarter size from a breeder in Illinois. The place was called Somefins's fishy.
The tank also has some guppies and one lonely Small angelfish in it. I'm not sure if I will keep then in the tank or not. I put them in there after my tank was cycled until I got my discus.
Any recommendation's would be appreciated. So far discus all look good.

rickztahone
04-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Hi, I have been a member for 4 years now but took a break from discus due to some family issues. I just started My tank back up again to get back into discus.
Tank is 460 gallon acrylic with assorted amazon swords, vals and gravel substrate. This is my first time having a planted tank with discus in it, so guess I will see how it goes.
I just purchased 9 red alenquer nickel size, and 2 pang eruptions quarter size from a breeder in Illinois. The place was called Somefins's fishy.
The tank also has some guppies and one lonely Small angelfish in it. I'm not sure if I will keep then in the tank or not. I put them in there after my tank was cycled until I got my discus.
Any recommendation's would be appreciated. So far discus all look good.

Man, it was almost a scary thought to think you may have bought from "somethingsphishy"!!! I believe SOMEFINS FISHY is a member here. I do remember telling them to consider changing their name to not be associated with the previously mentioned seller, but I believe they are set on that name. Either way, welcome back and please share pictures of your journey. It isn't every day where someone sets up a 460g tank! Can't wait to see it.

Akili
04-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Welcome to Back Eric , Some confusion about where you got your fish from,I do believe Ricardo is thinking about Somethingsphishy.It may get a little dicey for the "Guppies" temperature wise.

ktm4us6
04-24-2016, 02:39 PM
I was worried people would think that. I drove 3 hours so I could see his fish in person. I was very impressed with his setup and discus. They gave me a free one plus a pound of beef heart mix with my purchase. I will post some pics soon.

Akili
04-24-2016, 02:51 PM
I was worried people would think that. I drove 3 hours so I could see his fish in person. I was very impressed with his setup and discus. They gave me a free one plus a pound of beef heart mix with my purchase. I will post some pics soon.If went to see him than it must have been Mark known here as SomeFin's Fishy

rickztahone
04-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Welcome to Back Eric , Some confusion about where you got your fish from,I do believe Ricardo is thinking about Somethingsphishy.It may get a little dicey for the "Guppies" temperature wise.

yeah, I was referring to them (somethingsphisy) but knew that OP was talking about SomeFin's Fishy, which is a member here.

ktm4us6
04-24-2016, 04:52 PM
I was able to get a couple pictures, thanks for the replies.971539715497155

Lighthouse7
04-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Eric i was thinking of ordering the alenquers from him also keep posting pics so we can see how they look in the coming days, but should really go barebottom with thede juvis - Lighthouse

ktm4us6
04-24-2016, 09:10 PM
I will keep you posted on there progress. Yes on the bare bottom, I will be changing the water everyday about 25% and see how they do. Feeding beef heart is pretty messy. I'm hoping with all the water I can keep things pretty stable for them even with the gravel. Guess time will tell.

Keith Perkins
04-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Welcome back, hope you're doing well. Yell if you need anything.

ktm4us6
04-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Thanks Keith I will. I very much appreciate everyone's advice on this forum. I can't wait for the NADA show

SomeFin's Fishy
04-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Yup! We probably should have changed our name years ago, but by the time we found out about the other place, we already had a pretty good customer base. It's too late to change now, so we just have to rely on the fact that "informed" people recognize the difference in the name.

ktm4us6
05-07-2016, 11:30 PM
I thought I would give everyone an undate. It has been two weeks since I received my first batch of discus, and purchased seven more a week ago also. I decided to get rid of the angelfish and guppies in the tank to keep my fish load down with heavy feedings. They are all eating good and no signs of illness. I was surprised at how well they accustomed to my tank. I hand feed them beefheart 3-4 times a day. I did try some flake a few times but there not to interested in it yet. Would it be ok to just feed them beefheart for now?

Akili
05-07-2016, 11:54 PM
Would it be ok to just feed them beefheart for now?Beef heart mix should be okay but do try something like freeze dried blackworms or pellets to make it a more nutritional diet.

ktm4us6
05-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Thanks, I will get some and try them in the mornings when there hungrier. There picky like my kids. ;)

Keith Perkins
05-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Beefheart mix makes up somewhere from 95% to 99% of my feedings, they'll definitely do fine if they prefer heart.

ktm4us6
06-08-2016, 10:06 PM
It has been a couple of months now since i have updated my progress with my discus, so here's an update. Originally i started out with 11 juvies, and added 7 Pigeon bloods. most of them nickel size and a couple around a quarter. They have grown to about 2" and 3" in size and all are doing good. I did have a problem with Blue Green Algae in the tank and in the process of treating it I did stress them out a little and a couple quit eating for a few days other than that there doing great. My plants are doing good but growing slowly with no Co2 or fertilizers. My water changes are being done with a constant drip system and vacuum the gravel once a month. I hope they look good so far.98529

460g AcrylicTank
80g Sump
gravel substrate
1900 gpm pump
6500k and 5000k led lighting

Assorted vals and sword plants

Akili
06-08-2016, 10:45 PM
Looking good so far Thanks for the update!:thumbsup:

ktm4us6
06-10-2016, 12:23 AM
Thanks Akili