PDA

View Full Version : So, how does the whole breeding for quality work..

zchauvin
04-25-2016, 05:59 PM
I was told some time ago that you couldn't start off with mediocre fish, spawn them, and then grow out high quality fish. How much truth is there to this, something tells me that these high quality domestics didn't just appear and that they obviously had to come from somewhere. Wouldn't good husbandry and culling bring out the same quality in grow outs regardless of the quality of the parents?

rickztahone
04-25-2016, 07:20 PM
I was told some time ago that you couldn't start off with mediocre fish, spawn them, and then grow out high quality fish. How much truth is there to this, something tells me that these high quality domestics didn't just appear and that they obviously had to come from somewhere. Wouldn't good husbandry and culling bring out the same quality in grow outs regardless of the quality of the parents?

Breeding discus is just like breeding anything else, you have to know how to do it. If you have mediocre stock (and you know its mediocre), you have to be willing to grow out the offspring to a good size to see if they produce anything worth keeping and cherry pick the cream of the crop. Get pairs from those, breed them, and rinse and repeat. You'd want to introduce some new blood at some point, or at least I have in line breeding dogs in the past to run the risk of over breeding the line, but this is a little different with discus (fish).

This is how pb discus were cleaned up so much over the years, that and the introduction of goldens in the line as well.

zchauvin
04-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Breeding discus is just like breeding anything else, you have to know how to do it. If you have mediocre stock (and you know its mediocre), you have to be willing to grow out the offspring to a good size to see if they produce anything worth keeping and cherry pick the cream of the crop. Get pairs from those, breed them, and rinse and repeat. You'd want to introduce some new blood at some point, or at least I have in line breeding dogs in the past to run the risk of over breeding the line, but this is a little different with discus (fish).

This is how pb discus were cleaned up so much over the years, that and the introduction of goldens in the line as well.

Thanks Ricardo, this is what I figured as well.

LizStreithorst
04-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Why risk starting with junk when if you want to breed quality when you can buy fish that have shown their potential?

zchauvin
04-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Why risk starting with junk when if you want to breed quality when you can buy fish that have shown their potential?

$$$ and not positive on what I will get for it. Wouldn't call it junk though, people gave me quite a hard time last week for stating my opinion when it comes to the issue that I'm referring to.

rickztahone
04-25-2016, 08:27 PM
$$$ and not positive on what I will get for it. Wouldn't call it junk though, people gave me quite a hard time last week for stating my opinion when it comes to the issue that I'm referring to.

honestly, the best route is actually one that isn't so difficult. Get a group of 10-12 higher quality youngsters, grow them out, form pairs naturally and sell off the rest and get money back :)

zchauvin
04-25-2016, 08:32 PM
honestly, the best route is actually one that isn't so difficult. Get a group of 10-12 higher quality youngsters, grow them out, form pairs naturally and sell off the rest and get money back :)

Exactly what I'm leaning towards, hence my post :)

warblad79
04-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Exactly what I'm leaning towards, hence my post :)

It's hard to get wild youngster nowadays and most of them are adult. I as recall in your previous thread that you don't care about domestic at all.

zchauvin
04-25-2016, 09:00 PM
It's hard to get wild youngster nowadays and most of them are adult. I as recall in your previous thread that you don't care about domestic at all.

That sir is the biggest thing. Where to find f1

rickztahone
04-25-2016, 09:08 PM

That sir is the biggest thing. Where to find f1

sry Zach, forgot that you are aiming to do this with wilds. I'd source some good proven pairs of wilds and take it from there. F1's would be great to find as well but off the top of my head can't remember the last time I saw some go for sale. Then factor in the fact that you may want a specific type of wild and you are really narrowing your choices pretty significantly.

LizStreithorst
04-25-2016, 09:10 PM
You may want to chat with Pat. She'll be at NADA.

zchauvin
04-25-2016, 09:12 PM
sry Zach, forgot that you are aiming to do this with wilds. I'd source some good proven pairs of wilds and take it from there. F1's would be great to find as well but off the top of my head can't remember the last time I saw some go for sale. Then factor in the fact that you may want a specific type of wild and you are really narrowing your choices pretty significantly.

Yeah. I have plenty of time though. If I could've got done with the more two months earlier I would have jumped on the pair that Mauro had in New Orleans. Can't find out who bought them though unfortunately. I'll keep an eye out, I know a few have sold here before but they either don't have any or haven't been active.

If domestic weren't so readily available I would give those a shot even though they aren't exactly my cup of tea. I mean, they clearly have a demand for wilds and/or F1 that haven't been mixed so it works perfectly. I get to keep myself entertained and get to provide what people want while funding my hobby.

zchauvin
04-25-2016, 09:13 PM
You may want to chat with Pat. She'll be at NADA.

Thanks Liz, I spoke with Pat but unfortunately she does not have any fry at the moment.