PDA

View Full Version : Really ticked but that's the game

megatrev62
04-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Well, I'm doing it all wrong. I have 6 discus in a 90 gallon and have the tank planted. This tank has been set up for the past 5 months or so. It was a successful planted community tank. I wanted to go discus, and decided to take the plunge. Now I have new silica sand (2 inches), (3 inches for the swords), and the discus. Just decided to take out the brunt of my plants for more room for the fish. After reading a lot on this forum, I am apparently kidding myself. I have to go with a bare bottom tank with big daily water changes in order for the fish to grow to their adult size. I DID NOT KNOW THAT THIS WAS THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT, BUT THE EXPERTS SAY THAT IT IS. Ticked with myself really for not knowing this before hand. I may , as has been recommended, keep some plants in pots, although I really don't want to. I really have much work ahead of me and to think I was good to go. Thanks to this forum for explaining to me how a discus tank needs to be set up. Hurts though, I have to admit. Lol

Second Hand Pat
04-30-2016, 12:25 PM
If the discus are sub-adult you may try keeping some plants. If they are three inches or smaller then you have a good plan going forward.
Pat

megatrev62
04-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks, I have a couple of 5.5 inchers and a few 4 inchers. There is my problem

Akili
04-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Thanks, I have a couple of 5.5 inches and a few 4 inches. There is my problemYou should be Okay with the plants given the size you have.Just stay on the top with frequent water change.By the way I have plants in pots.

megatrev62
05-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Well have pondered what I am doing and what I have been reading for the last couple of days. I have decided to remove most of the substrate and leave just a skim. I am going to pot a couple of swords and get rid of all the other plants. I want to get this right and give the fish the best possible opportunity to grow into nice adults. I have been doing larges 75% water changes, and there is nothing coming up out of the silica sand.I just put it in brand new, so I didn't expect to see much if anything anyway.But that is my plan moving forward. I'm heading into where I got the fish tomorrow and he is interested in my plants and am getting some frozen beef heart mixture he just did up last night. He said he would also take the small ( he thinks stunted) snakeskin back. It was originally his and I got it from a guy that I traded fish for. His tank was a massive loach tank(many species of loaches) and busy as all hell. Not good for the discus (planted too). I just wish I had known more about discus keeping from the start.

Thought going with discus was ok to do planted but they will suffer if not grown out properly. More discus in the future too, and they must be quarantined from the main tank right now. Man oh man , what have I gotten into. Lol

megatrev62
05-03-2016, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Akili;1212449]You should be Okay with the plants given the size you have.Just stay on the top with frequent water change.By the way I have plants in pots.[/QUOT

Not quite as big as I quoted. The smaller ones are closer to 4 inches including the tail. Thanks

Akili
05-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Not quite as big as I quoted. The smaller ones are closer to 4 inches including the tail. ThanksWith 75% water changes,next thing you know they will 5 inches

megatrev62
05-03-2016, 11:56 AM
With 75% water changes,next thing you know they will 5 inches

Well I thought they would be doomed to being stunted form all I've read. Can you help me out and explain what you mean?

megatrev62
05-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Sorry forget previous post.

Akili
05-03-2016, 12:28 PM
One problem with planted tanks is that it is difficult to get all the detritus out with water changes.Also wipe down is a chore with the plants.A lot of people have raised Discus in a plant tanks.I did it almost 30 years ago, in those days it was very common to find Discus in planted tanks with doing only 50 % water change weekly. If go through the forum you will find many threads with Discus in a planted tanks. Just that Bare bottom tanks are easier to maintain.

kiwdahc
05-03-2016, 12:50 PM
I am no expert but from what I have read the biggest and healthiest discus come from bare bottom tanks with very high volume frequent water changes and multiple 3-5 feedings a day of beef heart / occasional black worm. This is not mandatory though as you must decide what you want to do. In my opinion in any tank with discus, even a planted one, the discus need to be the main priority or you are much more prone to failure. On one end of the spectrum you have giant healthy discus with not such a great looking tank, on the other end you have a great looking planted tank with not as great of discus. You must decide what you want and go from there.