PDA

View Full Version : I got the blues!

William1
05-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Eight Uatuma blues from John/Snook are swimming in my tank and seem happy so far. I got them delivered about an hour and a half ago and they are starting to mingle about. No lights till tomorrow so I'm waiting to see their colors. They appear mostly brown with accents. They are Regular Uatuma blues, I ordered mediums and they are a lot bigger than I was expecting. They arrived in good shape, one guy has a little hitch in his giddy up. He may have gotten a little roughed up. The water in one bag was a bit slight, although I'm not sure that was his. My intro probably wasn't textbook, but I think it will be fine. I added three tbsp salt as I've seen suggested. Will start a water change schedule tonight. Can't wait to turn the light on and have a good look at these guys, but I'll be patient. I will post pics when they are settled and if I can figure out how. I embrace technology, but sometimes it takes a while. I haven't figured that out yet. Thanks for all the advice, I've read and watched a lot. Wish me luck!
Cheers, BK

Akili
05-04-2016, 01:18 PM
To upload photos on the form
Use the forum "Insert Image" icon which is third from the right along the top of the reply box. Your images should be less than 2MBs.Step by step Click ...............Image icon Next >from computer Next >select files( Open folder your image is in) Next click on image Next >open next > upload and post ………. hope this helps

William1
05-04-2016, 01:45 PM
I think I can handle it. I'll give it a go in a bit. Thanks a million for the direction. I'll post pics of my planted 120G and my 56G discus tank build. These guys are swimming freely already and seem happy. I'm tempted to feed them, a couple are pecking at a driftwood piece. I will hold off till before tonight's water change. So far, this looks really promising. Nice fish. Thanks a million John/Snook! And simply discus people too. This should be fun.

Phillydubs
05-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Congrats on your new arrivals...

If I were you I would not feed nor touch the water until tomorrow. Give them time to settle and adjust, no need to do a rush water change or feed them, if anything it may scare them or cause more stress. Leave them quiet, dim lights and get to things tomorrow...

William1
05-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Pdubs - Thank you for the direction. That is what I will do. These guys are frisky. The one was holding one of his, I apologize, but his feeler type thingy on the bottom of his body, (please inform or correct, that's how I can learn) tight to his side and had a lean to him. He was the most active upon introduction, so I think he is a fighter and will be fine. He was the one I said appeared a little beat up. These are very nice, healthy looking wild discus. Already are swimming like they own the joint, which they do of course. Thanks guys, having fun, BK

Akili
05-04-2016, 03:42 PM
This evening,feed them first then do the water change a little later.

Phillydubs
05-04-2016, 03:59 PM
I don't see the rush to feed and change water, especially on day 1, but thats just me... OP you can do whatever makes you feel comfortable...

I wouldn't get too concerned or worried this early, nor would I stress over anything you see this early... Unless there is a glaring issues as in an open wound, burn or something serious like that. Otherwise, chalk it all up to transport and let them settle in.

My wilds from John settled extremely fast... Not sure how long he has had these guys in his care, but I don't think he has had a new shipment in, so they have probably adjusted well to tank life over at Johns and that should continue right on in your tank...

What size tank are they in again?

jmf3460
05-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Congrats on your fish OP and welcome to the wilds gang. There are several of us here that enjoy the wilds over the domestics, Phil, pat and myself naming just a few. I agree with PHil, my wilds from John settled quicker than I expected but I did not feed until day 2, nor water change until day 2. I started with a really small 25% water change and worked my way from one end of the tank to the other, giving the fish an opposite side to hide in while I siphoned the other end. I hope you drip acclimated or at least floated these guys. Are you aging your water? was your tank cycled? the fish are stronger than one would think, mine were actually less skittish than my domestics I had years ago within the first month of having them.

good luck and looking forward to your pictures.

William1
05-04-2016, 04:25 PM
They are in a 56 high with three albino Corys only. Two pieces of driftwood I've had literally since my first discus tank thirty years ago, and three plants in pots. I will post a pic. I like my set up. I've had the fish for four hours. They are all over the tank, seem super happy. They are picking at the gravel, driftwood and the plants. All good signs. They are probably getting food leftover from feeding the Corys, so I'm sticking to the plan of no lights or food till tomorrow am. Nice to have wild discus for my clean up crew! Discus are so cool. The way they interact and swim and contort their bodies around stuff. These guys appear very healthy and frisky. I think I am lucky. Thanks for your guys' help.

Phillydubs
05-04-2016, 04:29 PM
The 3 cories you used to cycle the tank or? Where did they come from?

William1
05-04-2016, 04:48 PM
The corys and the plants are from my other tank. The filter medium from a previous tank as well. And I'm sharing the siphon and buckets, etc. So, it's not a strict QT tank. That is the way it is going to be. Just to be honest.

Phillydubs
05-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Ok, as long as you know what you are getting into and the possible problems that it could pose...

Sounds like you keep good clean tanks and stay up on things, so things should be ok...

I agree with Jacklyn in that you want to start slow with water changes as well. My wilds didn't and still don't like the heavy changes I provide for my domestics, so you have to see how yours react and what work for you.

William1
05-04-2016, 06:10 PM
These guys are doing so good. Ok, I couldn't resist. I cut a cube of frozen bloodworms in a quarter, thinking the Cory's will eat them if the discus don't. I didn't even see it get eaten so I put the other three quarter in and they devoured it. Good to see they are conditioned to eat frozen food. I put a frozen brine shrimp cube in and they ate that too, although not as vigorously. One guy, mostly tan with not much vertical barring showing, seemed to like it most. He may be a leader, alpha male or whatever. Coolest fish ever. Eight wild discus. What a trip. Can't wait to turn the lights on and see their true colors. Tomorrow is another day.

William1
05-04-2016, 07:10 PM
I also just changed ten gallons. Couldn't resist. It's just sitting there. The guys love it. They are so well acclimated I can't believe it . Says a lot for John/Snook if you want my opinion. I feel lucky to have these guys. I'm going to do my best to give them a happy home. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Getting started the right way is the most important thing. And then being consistent. I'll post pics when I figure that out. There is another guy. Light tan with more vertical barring who is showing up. He looks like a contender. Cool fish. Rock on, BK

jmf3460
05-06-2016, 08:55 AM
where are the pics already??

William1
05-06-2016, 05:35 PM
These guys are awesome. Totally acclimated by the next morning. I was trying to post a short video, but haven't figured it out yet. I will take pics tonight when there isn't a glare on the glass. I'm not the handiest picture taker, but I will give it a go. I will say I feel lucky to have these guys. They are twice the size I was expecting to receive and twice as nice as far as adapting to their new house. They don't mind company or a hand in the tank, they are eating like wolves, never been skittish at all. Sweet! And a great blend of wild beauty. Thanks John/Snook!

jmf3460
05-06-2016, 09:04 PM
pics?????

William1
05-08-2016, 12:09 PM
I can't figure out how to post a picture or video. Oh well, the guys are doing great.

Akili
05-08-2016, 12:21 PM
I can't figure out how to post a picture or video. Oh well, the guys are doing great.Please Refer to post # 2 in this thread.

William1
05-08-2016, 12:57 PM
It always says my file is too large. I'll try it again in a bit. I embrace technology, but sometimes I don't feel the love reciprocated. I'm sure it's just something simple. I know I can't fix it with a hammer. So, I'll click on something else or whatever. Why is a simple photo from an iPhone too large of a file?

Second Hand Pat
05-08-2016, 01:05 PM
There is a file size limit of 2mb. Try resizing or cropping your photo.
Pat

Akili
05-08-2016, 01:31 PM
It always says my file is too large. I'll try it again in a bit. I embrace technology, but sometimes I don't feel the love reciprocated. I'm sure it's just something simple. I know I can't fix it with a hammer. So, I'll click on something else or whatever. Why is a simple photo from an iPhone too large of a file?Use Microsoft Paint to Resize an Image or website like this one http://www.picresize.com/

William1
05-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Ok - I will try cropping it, although I have no idea how. I'll figure it out maybe. Funny thing is, watching the guys now, they don't seem as big as my first impression from the first couple days. They are a solid 4-4 1/2", from my side of the glass. Starting to show a little aggression. Which is fun to watch. So far, so good! Second Hand Pat - I love your quote. Your discus are talking to you - are you listening? Can't say it any better than that. It is really interesting seeing all the different schools of thought on keeping these fish. I am going to heed your words of wisdom. I am a 'keep it simple' kind of guy. My discus will tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I think being consistent is most important. And adjust as necessary. Thanks for your interest. It makes it fun. I'll work on my cropping,... or not... I got water to change. Cheers!

William1
05-08-2016, 02:38 PM
I wanted to say thanks to Akili for the 'egg crate' top idea. Although 'egg crate' is a misnomer. It is a ceiling tile piece.. I got mine at HD for $14.48 tax included, cut it to fit and I think it is a great idea. This is what a public forum should be for. Sharing an idea that is easy, cheap, and works great. Also, the cut off piece is the perfect size for a future tank divider if I need it. Pretty cool. Thanks Akili! I love my egg crate? top!

William1
05-09-2016, 09:45 PM
These guys are doing great. I scrubbed the glass with a paper towel as I've seen suggested, for the first time. I have learned the value of that from you guys. I got distracted and dropped the towel. One guy must have seen a ghost because he bolted up to the top against the egg crate. Then I went to replant a piece of anacharis in a pot and was a little too aggressive about it and one guy banged his head on the glass in the corner. He was under close scrutiny for a bit, and trust me, received all the present concussion protocol available. Don't want the discus union on my back. He's a tough guy, he's ok. Lesson learned though. It wouldn't hurt to be a tad more delicate when working in the tank. I think they like me though, so we're buddies! I think. Well, I was listening to my discus as I truly believe in, and one guy was giving me the old silent treatment for a while. Can't blame him I guess. A 56 high is a really easy tank to maintain. And I think they are happy. I have some half way decent pics. I think you guys would like this 'group' - I got it, getting the lingo. Here is my ode to my struggle with technology as it applies to sharing on a discus forum...

I'm a water changer
I'm an algae scrubber
I'm a wild Amazonian
Discus lover

I'm a crappie hunter
I could be either
But I ain't no farmer
Nor a cropper neither

I'll work on my cropping! I got pics. Cheers!

William1
05-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Now switch to BB King mode:

I got the blues!
Lord!, I got the Uatuma River Blues
From my soppy sleeveless shirt
Down to my sorry, soggy shoes
Oh Lord!, I got the Uatuma River Blues!

Phillydubs
05-10-2016, 01:10 AM
Where are these top secret pics ??

Darcon
05-10-2016, 01:39 AM
Yeah... where are these pics? Give it to us, give it! :)

DISCUS STU
05-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Pics! :)

Phillydubs
05-12-2016, 10:41 AM
As cool and as nice as these fish my be I think you let the hype beast win... How will they ever live up to the suspense ???

William1
05-13-2016, 08:13 AM

William1
05-13-2016, 09:53 AM

William1
05-13-2016, 10:07 AM
I can't believe how well acclimated and healthy these guys are. They eat like a pack of wolves, I got them to eat frozen beef heart yesterday, they didn't seem to care for it the first couple times, and it really seemed to spur the activity. They eat everything I feed them. And they also make a mess. I swear my dump bucket on a midday water change yesterday smelled like a kitty litter box. I can definitely see the advantages to a clean bottom tank. Don't like 'detritus' sitting there getting swirled around. So if I see an accumulation, it gets taken out. My gravel is sand texture red flint, which is popular around Chicago, and it's very thin in front and slopes from the back. Very easy to keep clean so far. But, the smell... Geez... it's a fish, not a cat.

Phillydubs
05-13-2016, 10:31 AM
I knew it... the hype killed it... those fish look sick and stunted and poor!!!

Phillydubs
05-13-2016, 10:35 AM
I kid I kid!!! Hahaha... Sorry, I had to rib you a little for that pic delay!!

About dang time man!!! lololol...

Those look awesome! Way more blue than I was expecting! Really nice looking group there, and these guys are considered "medium" right, which we know isn't true, they look like a nice size with a lot of room to grow and color...

I really thought these might be more drabby brown based wilds, but that blue is bright and nice!!

Really cool man! Congrats best of luck and now that you know how to post pics keep them rollin!!!!

William1
05-13-2016, 11:42 AM
They are a really nice blend of wild beauty. They are mostly light tan, a couple with with darker banding, broken on one side, wild childs, most with various amounts of blue striations, with real nice red and blue bottom fins. Drab is a matter of taste I suppose. The guy with the most red seems like a tiger. He is one of the smaller ones, but got real aggressive after a beef heart dinner yesterday. He has a real nice shape to him. They are from a solid 4" to 5 and a quarter by my eye, a couple may be a tad bigger. I ordered mediums. I think John/Snook is a real cool guy. Not medium cool. But Large Cool.

Las Vegas
05-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Very nice. Great looking Discus. Just be aware that the odds are that sandy bottom will catch up to your Discus and one day you'll see an illness. My first guess will be the "Dash and Smash". Why? I believe it's the missed crap that builds up at the bottom combined with what grows in it. Just saying what I've experience twice over the years. That's why I switched to bare bottom with a couple small potted plants just to satisfy my planted look desires. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm only saying "be aware". Again, nice looking Discus and good luck.

Phillydubs
05-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Mark, care to share your experience further? Do you feel it is sand related or any substrate in general?

I have sand in my new wild tank as well, so I would be interested in hearing...

It has been my understanding that any substrate makes things harder and leaves you susceptible to issues if not maintained properly, but if you take the proper care and vac properly and actually move the substrate and clean it than there should be no real issues.

Las Vegas
05-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Mark, care to share your experience further? Do you feel it is sand related or any substrate in general?

I have sand in my new wild tank as well, so I would be interested in hearing...

It has been my understanding that any substrate makes things harder and leaves you susceptible to issues if not maintained properly, but if you take the proper care and vac properly and actually move the substrate and clean it than there should be no real issues.

Sure. I wrote a lot then as I looked at my response, I realized it would not be appropriate to post on this thread. Make a new correct thread and I'll write there. Ok?

William1
05-13-2016, 06:01 PM

William1
05-13-2016, 06:28 PM
I figured out that if you click on 'crop photo', you can crop a photo. Amazing how technology works. I feel so high tech, now I can't stop cropping. Enjoy your tanks! Cheers.

Akili
05-13-2016, 06:51 PM
I figured out that if you click on 'crop photo', you can crop a photo. Amazing how technology works. I feel so high tech, now I can't stop cropping. Enjoy your tanks! Cheers.Live and learn:thumbsup:

jawfish
05-13-2016, 06:56 PM
Very nice group.

Looking forward to seeing more of them as they acclimated to your tank

Fred

William1
05-13-2016, 07:48 PM

William1
05-13-2016, 08:03 PM
I was trying to get a whole tank shot. After cropping I could only get half at a time. It's a 56 high. I have 2 pieces of driftwood in the tank that I have literally had for thirty years. I have three plants in pots, a bunch of anacharis which they love, a sword taken from my other tank and a ruffled sword from the same source. I think I have everything strategically placed so my siphon hose fits between all the scape, allowing me to keep it clean. It's easy to go through the gravel in this tank, the foot print is totally manageable. I can definitely see the importance of cleaning up after these fish. They make a mess in no time. Everyone has their own way of doing things. You read, learn, decipher what you think is best, lean on your experience and gut feelings, go with it, then adapt and adjust on a daily basis. Having a fish tank is what I would consider a 'tinkerer's hobby'. You are making adjustments every day. Especially in my planted 120. It is a labor of love. The discus tank is more brute force, blunt. Change water, keep it clean and enjoy the scene.

Phillydubs
05-14-2016, 02:53 PM
I have to say that I can't believe these fish are $45 a pop... Really nice for that kinda $...

People always say or post hear LFS prices that are highway robbery. To be able to get some wilds for someone who can't break the bank but wants tontrubtheir hand... Very nice.

William1
05-14-2016, 05:23 PM
These eight big, beautiful, wild discus were $432 delivered. I feel very lucky to have them. They get nicer every day. And they do make a mess. I have to guard against changing water too much, but it drives me nuts to see the 'detritus' on the bottom. Very cool fish. Starting to show a lot of aggression. Little Red is a mixer, other guys like to play also.
Thanks again for the direction on choosing these fish and John/Snook as a supplier, PDubs in particular. I credit the quality of the fish for ninety per cent of the success so far. And wet forearms of course. They are gorgeous fish. I hope to keep them happy for a while.

William1
06-02-2016, 11:03 PM
These guys are really getting a nice shape and beautiful coloration. I was trying to get a couple pics, but they are very skittish tonight. There was a fair amount of activity in the room the last couple days and it really made them jumpy. Can't even walk across the room and they go and hide. They are not real fond of water changes either. I lose them for a half an hour behind a piece of driftwood. I need to leave them alone as much as possible for a while. They were coming up for food, but now when I get near the tank, zoom, they are gone into hiding. They are very healthy and are eating like a pack of wolves, but they have gotten scardey cat like the last couple days, I hope they mellow out so I don't have to walk on eggshells all the time. There was too much going on I think. I had to move stuff in and about the tank the last couple days and it put them off. They don't like me anymore. Stupid fish. I think I'm a pretty nice guy. I'm not worried, I'm sure they will come along. Sound familiar to anyone? Any tips on getting them to mellow out. I was wearing a pink, let's call it magenta, shirt yesterday, and they didn't seem to appreciate the bright color in front of the tank. They were sight almost unseen for quite a bit after that. Any thoughts are always appreciated.