PDA

View Full Version : Had a nitrite spike, 2 fish died, now others don't eat and have white stringy poop

Jayy
05-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I had a mini-cycle, 2 discus died, my nitrites were above 5 PPM. I've got the water under control now but I am seeing other problems, some fish not eating and white stringy poop.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Sometimes the fish swim near the bottom or sides, seeming to hide a lot more. My lights don't really reach down to the bottom of the tank so they appear dark, not sure if they are actually turning dark or it's just the lighting. Some fish are no longer eating, and they are breathing heavy, gills flared out on both sides. I'm also noticing some white stuff on the edges of their gills, looks like slime, not sure if it's normal or not.

Some fish have white stringy poop.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

So far I've mixed up some food using a little epsom salts and I've fed them with this food 3x.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

220 gallon tank, with 6x turquoise that are about 4-5", plus 8 (used to be 10) 2-3" juvenile discus. Also have a common pleco, 9x blackline tetras, 2x clown loaches.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

4-5x a week water changes, changing 60% of the water. I've increased this to daily water changes since I noticed the mini-cycle.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

I fishless cycled the tank about 2 months ago, it's been running with all the fish 3-4 weeks now. Before I added any fish I was adding ammonia until I reached 5 PPM, and within 24 hours it was all consumed. Bare bottom tank, 2 large manzanita branches for decoration. Using a sump with a wet\dry filter, bioballs and pumice stone. Mechanically filtered with filter floss and 3x big sponge filters in the main tank itself. Aerated by the wet\dry filter and the sponge filters. I also recently added 3x pothos plant cuttings, with the roots submerged in the main tank.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I have a stock tank that slowly fills with RO water about 80% of the way over 24 hours. I top this off with hot water to raise the temp above 80 degrees, add Seachem Safe, and aerate for about 15 minutes before pumping into the tank during water changes. No perceptible PH swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____84-86

- ph 7.8_____

- ammonia reading 0____

- nitrite reading 0 (recently had a mini-cycle where Nitrite was above 5 PPM)____

- nitrate reading Usually about 20 but recently between 10-15 due to increased water changes)____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 20%____

- RO water 80%____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

pothos plant added with roots only submerged.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Jayy
05-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Bump - Could really use some help here, another fish has died now.

Jayy
05-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Wow guys this is great 88 views and not one reply. I guess I'm in this on my own.