PDA

View Full Version : Brown algee I increased

melita
05-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Will had to clean my tank today lots brown alge I cleaned everything I could and increased the light did water change hope it helps . I have been feeding them guite a bit black worms and frozen shrimp mostly . The large one seem to be bit of bully but they all seem to take turns is this normal?

bluelagoon
05-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Diatoms are quite common in a new set up,especially if you have a silica based substrate.The outer cell of this type of algae is made of silica.It will eventually go away on it's own.

kiwdahc
05-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Is it brown algae or diatoms? Can you post a picture of what it looks like? Diatoms looks like a flat powdery algae while brown algae can be hairy and grow vertically.

pitdogg2
05-05-2016, 04:45 PM
depending on the light it also could be the problem so more may not be better. I've had some fluorescent tubes really make it worse. Bluelagoon has it also get some phosphate/silicate remover and it will get it gone

melita
05-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Only picture I could get to load

ktm4us6
05-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Hard to tell with the picture. Usually diatoms grow with a thin layer on everything. Clean it the best you can and give your tank more time to mature before making to many changes.

bluelagoon
05-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Diatoms will also grow in a low lite tank.So reducing the light may not work.Like mentioned,keep cleaning it off and it will eventually go away after all the loose (dust) of the silica is gone.