PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Roll Call.. Discus happenings at your place

brewmaster15
05-06-2016, 05:42 AM
Morning all!

From time to time I like to post this topic and see whats going on in everyone's tanks. Are you adding Discus, adding tanks, cutting back, breeding some or swamped in fry? Are you a novice just learning the ropes here or maybe a lurker reading and on the ropes about jumping in?

Personally for me 2016 marks the end of a break from actively keeping and breeding. Took some time off and now I am building up a small group of breeders. Working predominantly with wild greens and snakeskins...but knowing me...Im sure there will be other lines too.

So whats going on at your place?

Al

Darcon
05-06-2016, 06:21 AM
Within 1 or 2 weeks I will update my discus tank post. As I mentioned there, I bought almost 40 young fishes and tried bring them up to a nice adult fishes. I will prepare video about growing period. I finished my last selection, discus are almost adult now. It was a busy time for me, a lot of work and some nerves with fishes, but I think that result is good :) I also writing article, which I called "Discus at the beginner", some fresh feelings from beginner for beginners :) See you soon :)

Akili
05-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Building a fish room in basement is the goal for 2016 in addition to that like to see a sucessfully spawn from two pairs that have formed in the tank which is the family room.Recently I was a local fish club auction where the club had received a of 6 unknown juvenile discus about one and half inches at the most as a donation from one of club sponsors and nobody bought them.They were in the bags from the afternoon before I was told.One of the executive of the auction came to me asked to take the fish home as a mercy for the fish,so I am looking forward to see what they will turn out to be.They are in the second week of quarantine.

Phillydubs
05-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Any pics or further info on these mystery discus? Are they doing well after being in the bags like that?

2016 for me got off to a bang with an itch for a new tank and the urge to try and breed. After taking on a possible pair and finding that my interest was not peaked, I quickly sold off the pair and brought in a group of wild reds. I am really enjoying my wild experience and having fun with the new tank. I still have my staple 55 with my 9 discus.

I hope to see some progress at my house this year and to have at least a tank and hopefully tanks running at some point. I have a 72 bow that screams at me daily to be filled, I also have a hige spot in my den for something big. The wife is really pushing for a reef, so we will see what happens.

For now I am happy with my tank of wilds and tank of domestics and crosses and we will see what the future holds...

Akili
05-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Any pics or further info on these mystery discus? Are they doing well after being in the bags like that?Phil do not know how the fallback is going to be.The temperature of the bag was 72 degrees when I got them home. I think they doing fine as they started eating the next morning

magplate
05-06-2016, 12:38 PM
I just bought a couple of 40 breeders ($1 a gallon at Petco til 5/7) that I am setting up with dividers to allow for 4 pair at a time.

Just bought a pair from a local guy (ebay: clothandclaw). They are about 5.5", one is a turq and the other is a turq/heckel cross. They already laid egg

Within the last several months have bought fish from Kenny and Hans, hoping for the best.

John_Nicholson
05-06-2016, 01:25 PM
No big changes for me. I currently am playing with the following pairs.....Brilliant male ( has some red base to him ) with a red snakeskin female, A mother son pair from my brilliant line that both have a good bit of red base ( I am moving them in the direction of Red Turqs. ) a blue pigeon pair, and a cobalt pair. The cobalt pair is producing fry like crazy so I have now become bored with them if anyone on the DFW area wants to get a young easy to breed pair...LOL.

-john

Larry Bugg
05-06-2016, 02:07 PM
For me it is anticipating having a fish room running again after about a year off to sell our house and move to the country. Currently at my father-in-laws and I have a 125, four 40's and two 29's set up in his garage. The only fish I kept from the old fish room were some angels that I really wanted to continue to work with. I now have 3 new pairs from them. One of my goals for the new fish room is to do some wild/domestic crosses. I purchased 2 select grade cuipeua and 1 select grade blue face heckle from Mark (Discus origins) that I hope are all males. I have 2 red covers from Kenny that I hope are females. I also purchased two nice red ss from Kenny and the last two days they have started showing signs of spawning. We are currently working with a mortgage company and hope to have a home on our property in a couple of months. After that I can start to work on building the fish room which will be a unattached building on the property.

alcastro
05-06-2016, 02:15 PM
I am scaling down to a trickle, I guess I need to ship but no time to do all the footwork for it, too many new discus are being brought in to southern California, you can buy a nice 4 inch fish for $35. will put my efforts on albinos just to keep the mind busy.

lksdrinker
05-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Any pics or further info on these mystery discus? Are they doing well after being in the bags like that?

2016 for me got off to a bang with an itch for a new tank and the urge to try and breed. After taking on a possible pair and finding that my interest was not peaked, I quickly sold off the pair and brought in a group of wild reds. I am really enjoying my wild experience and having fun with the new tank. I still have my staple 55 with my 9 discus.

I hope to see some progress at my house this year and to have at least a tank and hopefully tanks running at some point. I have a 72 bow that screams at me daily to be filled, I also have a hige spot in my den for something big. The wife is really pushing for a reef, so we will see what happens.

For now I am happy with my tank of wilds and tank of domestics and crosses and we will see what the future holds...

Thanks to Phil my 2016 (as far as discus go anyway) involves taking over the pair of red covers! Continuing my efforts to get my pair of red turqs breeding again (stubborn bastards!); raising out a group of juvenile tiger turqs from Eric at carolina discus, and continuing to care for/grow out some other discus I've got. Then I have the rest of my fishroom to worry about....apistos, rams, planted tanks, etc. Hoping this will be the year for me to get some more automation working in the fishroom.

Second Hand Pat
05-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Sort of in a steady state myself. Have a fantastic group of Cuipeua in the 230 and really hope they breed this year. They seen so ready. Also have a group of Tefes in a 75 which needs to go into the new but empty 180. I am also growing out a few young heckels and just got a group of six month old F1 Altums. Besides raising the heckels and altums I have a pair of Apisto Elizabethae I hope will breed for me at some point. :)
Pat

Kyla
05-07-2016, 09:05 AM
ive cut back, i couldn't juggle work and family obligations and put in the time required for the hobby. i sold off fish and tanks and resigned after a decade of volunteering to maintain aquariums at a local hospital. i even left the local fish club.

im still hanging onto one tank in the community along with my 180g tank of discus and my 210g tank of miscellaneous fish at home, but im not spending enough time with either of them aside from maintenance and im finding very little enjoyment in my hobby these days.

i miss having time to just sit and watch the fish so im kind of in limbo at the moment... i dont want to part with the tanks and fish i have, but i am also perpetually dissatisfied with the state of my hobby. it will probably be years, or more likely decades, before i can really enjoy my tanks again so im just in "waiting" mode.

brewmaster15
05-07-2016, 09:18 AM
ive cut back, i couldn't juggle work and family obligations and put in the time required for the hobby. i sold off fish and tanks and resigned after a decade of volunteering to maintain aquariums at a local hospital. i even left the local fish club.

im still hanging onto one tank in the community along with my 180g tank of discus and my 210g tank of miscellaneous fish at home, but im not spending enough time with either of them aside from maintenance and im finding very little enjoyment in my hobby these days.

i miss having time to just sit and watch the fish so im kind of in limbo at the moment... i dont want to part with the tanks and fish i have, but i am also perpetually dissatisfied with the state of my hobby. it will probably be years, or more likely decades, before i can really enjoy my tanks again so im just in "waiting" mode.

Having just been there the last 2 years Kyla, I understand what you are feeling, I hope that your "waiting Mode" is Brief!:)

al

brewmaster15
05-07-2016, 09:19 AM
For me it is anticipating having a fish room running again after about a year off to sell our house and move to the country. Currently at my father-in-laws and I have a 125, four 40's and two 29's set up in his garage. The only fish I kept from the old fish room were some angels that I really wanted to continue to work with. I now have 3 new pairs from them. One of my goals for the new fish room is to do some wild/domestic crosses. I purchased 2 select grade cuipeua and 1 select grade blue face heckle from Mark (Discus origins) that I hope are all males. I have 2 red covers from Kenny that I hope are females. I also purchased two nice red ss from Kenny and the last two days they have started showing signs of spawning. We are currently working with a mortgage company and hope to have a home on our property in a couple of months. After that I can start to work on building the fish room which will be a unattached building on the property.

Larry,
Looking forward to you back up and running soon. I have a feeling that you'll be doing some great things there once settled in!

al

brewmaster15
05-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Phil do not know how the fallback is going to be.The temperature of the bag was 72 degrees when I got them home. I think they doing fine as they started eating the next morning

Look like some sort of cobalt, brilliant Blue or Blue Turq cross... a few there have some potential Akili. Look forward to seeing you grow them out!

al

cedar
05-14-2016, 12:28 AM
I have been into discus for just over a year now and have learned soooo much from SD, I have now sold some of my tanks and have invested in a 125g. I have a 36g bf and a 55g bf that I have kept as a breeding tank and qt. I am hoping to see some wigglers in the year of 2016 and am enjoying the new 125. I plan on setting up an ro and also adding a sump to the 125.

jeff12
05-14-2016, 02:20 AM
First time keeping and growing out discus. I want to get a couple pairs from them and start breeding. I will have to setup another tank soon because they are getting big.

Phillydubs
05-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Akili. Care to start a post on those juvies?