PDA

View Full Version : Brute Buster Bummer...

Phillydubs
05-09-2016, 10:20 PM
So as some of you may have seen me comment on a few threads here and my own thread when I believe I had that possible pair for all of two seconds that about 2 months back I purchased a large brute container off of amazon. Previously I had used an ace brand can that was like 38 gallons or so I don't recall. This one was 50 and seemed stronger bigger and studier. The ace one I literally dragged a few hundred feet from my conference room to my office (only water supply). Then I piped in a tap to my office just cold water and I would move the new container the brute all of 10 feet. On Friday when I was rolling the barrell out I noticed a small little puddle by it. So small that it could have been a splash or something so I shrugged it off. Usually I fill it Friday night and leave it all weekend w an air stone and heater. I was late Friday and just did my changes and ran out. This am I was filling it up with hot water like 30% from the conference room then on the wheels only back to mix with cold and let it age for like 14 hrs before my change. I am filling it and I notice the puddle again... I woke it up fill it and back to its spit it goes where a new puddle is forming. Before it busted on me I pumped it out ne window and sure enough there is a very slight leak on the opposite side away from the wheels.

Anyone else have this issue? Could it be from very hot water or just the dragging. I really don't drag it far and it's a smoothe floor so I am confused. I am going to get the brute on its own dolly so the plastic nber touches the floor. Amazon was great about the exchange and very helpful gonna cost me an extra $70 but maybe i should have saw this coming and not cheaped out to start.

Akili
05-10-2016, 07:29 AM
At least you caught it in time before the puddle turned into a pond.

Keith Perkins
05-10-2016, 09:17 AM
I have four 44 gallon brutes I've used for about the past 5 years without a lick of problem, but mine are stationary. My theory would be the dragging had something to do with it. Stressed a seam perhaps?

Phillydubs
05-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Akili - I agree, could have been a mess, one leading to my partners telling me to take my tanks and shove them you know where...!!!

Keith - I have to believe it was the stress of the dragging, but I did even more dragging with my cheapie ace brand and that thing lasted me a solid year no issues. This plastic is quite thick, so it has to be a seam or something... Either way, I was hauling 5 gallon buckets last night to do my WC! So annoying and I was worried about doing a straight tap change but the fish seem fine and the water is crystal this am so I am happy.

I went ahead and got the brute that sits on the dolly so the plastic will never hit the ground now... Hope this works!

jim LI
05-10-2016, 01:31 PM
I have 2 brute containers, 1 - 55 gallon, 1 - 32 gallon, both on dollies. i have had them for about 6 months with no issues.

rickztahone
05-10-2016, 01:47 PM
I am assuming these are the containers that you have to incline back to roll away? These are known for leaks because of the specific strain that is put on certain parts of the barrel on the opposite side of the wheels.

You are way better off with the roller dolly you got and Amazon hooked you up too, that is a huge bonus. You will see how much easier it is with the dolly.

lksdrinker
05-10-2016, 01:58 PM
So as some of you may have seen me comment on a few threads here and my own thread when I believe I had that possible pair for all of two seconds that about 2 months back I purchased a large brute container off of amazon. Previously I had used an ace brand can that was like 38 gallons or so I don't recall. This one was 50 and seemed stronger bigger and studier. The ace one I literally dragged a few hundred feet from my conference room to my office (only water supply). Then I piped in a tap to my office just cold water and I would move the new container the brute all of 10 feet. On Friday when I was rolling the barrell out I noticed a small little puddle by it. So small that it could have been a splash or something so I shrugged it off. Usually I fill it Friday night and leave it all weekend w an air stone and heater. I was late Friday and just did my changes and ran out. This am I was filling it up with hot water like 30% from the conference room then on the wheels only back to mix with cold and let it age for like 14 hrs before my change. I am filling it and I notice the puddle again... I woke it up fill it and back to its spit it goes where a new puddle is forming. Before it busted on me I pumped it out ne window and sure enough there is a very slight leak on the opposite side away from the wheels.

Anyone else have this issue? Could it be from very hot water or just the dragging. I really don't drag it far and it's a smoothe floor so I am confused. I am going to get the brute on its own dolly so the plastic nber touches the floor. Amazon was great about the exchange and very helpful gonna cost me an extra $70 but maybe i should have saw this coming and not cheaped out to start.

Got a picture of that thing to post? After talking yesterday I remembered seeing that thing in person and if i recall correctly it didnt look anything like any other Brute can I've ever seen. Wasn't it yellow and square(ish) as opposed to the round grey cans Brute typically has? Cant help but wonder if the color is an indication of the type of can it was and maybe not up to the normal Brute standards. Also still wonder what the manufacturer would have to say and if they'd be of any help in this situation.

brady
05-10-2016, 03:22 PM
The "brutes" are grey, round, 44gal. and made by Rubbermaid. If I read your post correctly you paid 70$ for one. They be had at your local Home Depot for around 42$.
Jay

rickztahone
05-10-2016, 03:29 PM
The "brutes" are grey, round, 44gal. and made by Rubbermaid. If I read your post correctly you paid 70$ for one. They be had at your local Home Depot for around 42$.
Jay

I believe he paid the up-charge of the difference between the old barrel to new barrel plus the rolling dolly. If I remember correctly that dolly itself is well over $50

Phillydubs
05-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Ok so the one I have is this... http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-9W27YEL-Heavy-Duty-Container/dp/B001F0GBT8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I don't believe color has anything to do with the material besides indicate what its for, I suppose this was recycles and not trash persay, it was also a few bucks cheaper and I didn't think or know color had anything to do, seems to advertise as the same product across the board.

I used to pretty much fill that tot he brim then drag it to the spot. There was no tilting or anything, just drug along.

The price was $60 and this is a 50 gallon its not the sam at the 44 gal that all home stores stock, I called around they max at 44 if you want bigger you have to order...

This time around I went with a 55, it is red, so I hope color doesn't mean anything... http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-FG265500RED-55-Gallon-without/dp/B005KDB52O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

rickztahone
05-10-2016, 03:35 PM
color shouldn't matter. I say shouldn't because I can't 100% say that because I actually don't know if color is simply an aesthetics thing, but I would imagine it doesn't matter.

Phillydubs
05-13-2016, 11:18 AM
I just wanted to update and finish out this thread here now that the new brute arrived.

Sorry Rick and others, I missed the question about the cost, but I am happy to break that down for you here and I took side by side pics to show the differences...

So the first yellow, 2 wheel, 50 gallon brute with attached lid cost me $60, that ugly yellow color was like $30 cheaper than a more bland or neutral color... Amazon was good enough to take it back even though it was past the 1 month return. I went this route to begin with because A) it was cheaper and B) I had been using a similar style but smaller and what I thought lesser quality for over a year before I upgraded. I really didn't think I would have this issue.

So amazon refunded the $60 and I purchased a 55 gallon round brute (to the poster who mentioned the 44 gallon, you are right, that is the largest they stock in store and around that price point but I needed something bigger to store water for both my tanks, hence the upgrade and need to order the 55.) I ordered the dolly$44.99 the lid $14.99 and the drum $72.79. So quite a bit more expensive, but I am hoping this one lasts me a very long time and after re-realizing what a PITA bucket changes are, it is money well spent in my book.

This round drum seems heavier and thicker, the dolly is sufficent and keeps the plastic off the floor so as it is rolled there is no body damage to the drum itself which in-turn should mean no more leaks!

Here are a few side by sides....

Akili
05-13-2016, 12:13 PM
Phil, Is the no storage space in the boiler room where you can age your water and pump it to your tanks?

RichT
05-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Color does matter. Only certain colors are listed as food safe. I would only use one listed as food safe.

Phillydubs
05-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Akili - I am sorry I missed your question. No, there is no room, we have a very narrow boiler room here and it is used as a show room for our customers to see different units that heat our big warehouse... Having a big aging barrel wouldn't look so nice...

Thanks Rich, I did some digging with the help of a friend and it seems this grade while not top of the line food safe, is fine and approved.

Now, onto my next issue. Are these things rated at different strength grades? Both the dolly and the drum itself? The reason why I ask is because I filled the drum late Friday to age my water for a change yesterday. As I wheeled the drum out to change the water it appeared as if the drum was mishapen a bit and leaning. I figured one of the wheels was bum or I was having yet another issue. I was able to do my WC and after I flipped it upside down and tested the dolly and it seemed fine, the drum was still a tad mishsapen and was almost an oval now as opposed to a circle?

I wonder if the weight is just too much for it? Anyhone else have this issue who uses a similar drum?

Thanks

rickztahone
05-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Akili - I am sorry I missed your question. No, there is no room, we have a very narrow boiler room here and it is used as a show room for our customers to see different units that heat our big warehouse... Having a big aging barrel wouldn't look so nice...

Thanks Rich, I did some digging with the help of a friend and it seems this grade while not top of the line food safe, is fine and approved.

Now, onto my next issue. Are these things rated at different strength grades? Both the dolly and the drum itself? The reason why I ask is because I filled the drum late Friday to age my water for a change yesterday. As I wheeled the drum out to change the water it appeared as if the drum was mishapen a bit and leaning. I figured one of the wheels was bum or I was having yet another issue. I was able to do my WC and after I flipped it upside down and tested the dolly and it seemed fine, the drum was still a tad mishsapen and was almost an oval now as opposed to a circle?

I wonder if the weight is just too much for it? Anyhone else have this issue who uses a similar drum?

Thanks

That is definitely stress. I would probably inform Amazon and see how they would like to proceed. Can you visually see anything that may be causing it? Maybe the caster wheels are off a little? Have you tried filling up the barrel on its own without a dolly?

Phillydubs
05-17-2016, 02:20 PM
No, I don't see a thing...? I checked the wheels and all and played with it, seems like it is coming from the can itslef and not the dolly

Phillydubs
05-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Looks like the one I have is Low-Density Polyethylene. I see some tohers just list plastic or heavy duty plastic... Maybe this is a weaker type of material hence the buckling with such weight...?

rickztahone
05-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Looks like the one I have is Low-Density Polyethylene. I see some tohers just list plastic or heavy duty plastic... Maybe this is a weaker type of material hence the buckling with such weight...?

Possibly. How much more expensive was the regular grey colored one?

Phillydubs
05-17-2016, 04:39 PM
I don't think there was much a difference in price...? I heard those ones are the worst though for water? Is that not true?

rickztahone
05-17-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't think there was much a difference in price...? I heard those ones are the worst though for water? Is that not true?

I wouldn't personally know, but I do know this, when I saw someone using a Brute trashcan for water storage in fish rooms, it is almost ALWAYS a grey one.

papasmurf
05-17-2016, 05:27 PM
I use the grey one...no issues so far after about six months of use. I still need to purchase the dolly for it so I do not have to drag it.

Keith Perkins
05-17-2016, 08:56 PM
My four 44 gallon brutes are all gray.

Phillydubs
05-18-2016, 03:10 PM
So.... I am such a rookie...

Apparently in my rush to order all of this after the first brute sprung the leak, I wasn't paying too much attention to detail and went and ordered a dolly that is only made to support 250 pounds... I plan to fill this with at least 50 gallons a clip, so the simple math will tell you that IO didn't order the correct dolly...

Time to return and re-buy the 500 pounder...

Lesson learned!

rickztahone
05-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Will Amazon take it back and send a more heavy duty one? Remember I said I remembered the dollys being more expensive? Maybe this was why?

Phillydubs
05-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Yea, thankfully it was prime and I... well my wife, is a very good customer, as in like a package a day! Hahah, so they took it back no questions asked! The stronger dolly is another $40 but again, I hope to have this for a long time so peanuts in the end...

eros904
05-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Bought mine at lowes and have used it for 6 mos w/o issues so far. I fill it 3/4 and able to roll it through our mansion. Lol

Phillydubs
05-19-2016, 10:32 PM
That one looks sweet Ross and nearly ten extra gallons than mine. To be honest i love that design and believe I saw it on amazon as well. I think that brand has another like 100 gallon one. But now that my other one broke so quick from dragging it I'm afraid of that style.

Here is my final product. The new dolly came I grabbed he old one rigt in the box and taped and ready to go. I mean you have to love Amazon and prime in all honesty. Plus I work in a warehouse setting and we get mail all day so shilling things in and out is a breeze I take it walk it ten feet the guy takes it in the am.

Here is what I ended up with. Took a few pics of the new dolly to see the differences. The old one spun on and was almost like a roler skate and forced the weight into the middle. The new one is like a coaster more or less grabs the whole container. It's very nice and drives like a gem! All in all I am very happy with my purchase. I'm not one to run hoses and all thag I've had way too many accidents and I am admittedly lazy lol. Soooo this is what j have going.

Phillydubs
05-19-2016, 10:32 PM

Keith Perkins
05-19-2016, 10:37 PM

Well this picture makes it pretty obvious to me why you have leaking problems. :D

rickztahone
05-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Well this picture makes it pretty obvious to me why you have leaking problems. :D

:laugh:

Phillydubs
05-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Hahaha!! Well played!