PDA

View Full Version : Powered off filter-how long till bacteria dies?

kilnakorr
05-10-2016, 04:01 PM
I would like to try shutting down one of my canister filters but wondering for how long the media/bacteria will survive? Anyone knows this? I'd like to be on thd safe side so please no guessing;)

rickztahone
05-10-2016, 04:14 PM
I would like to try shutting down one of my canister filters but wondering for how long the media/bacteria will survive? Anyone knows this? I'd like to be on thd safe side so please no guessing;)

Everyone's answer WOULD be guessing as no one can factually tell you how long it takes for BB to die off for sure.

Personally, I believe if the filter has been off for 12hrs, you will have a mini cycle. More than that and then you risk completely wiping out your bacteria. With that said, I have gone closer to 24hrs and while the colony suffered, it wasn't that difficult to kick it back in to gear with water changes.

DJW
05-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Based on past experiences with forgetting or with power outages, what Ricardo is saying sounds about right to me. I wouldn't worry about a set-back if the filter is off for less than 4 hours, but longer than that my best guess is that the filter will begin to lose some of its capacity. It depends somewhat on whether you have gravel substrate, as the gravel in some tanks is doing some of the bio work.

How long do you need to shut it off? You can always run the canister filter in a bucket and even add a few drops of ammonia, keeping it alive indefinitely.

pitdogg2
05-11-2016, 02:58 PM
I've had mine off two days, not by choice but when the power came back on I left it alone and let it just come on and go. I had no ill affects I do not advise this but I can't begin to count how many days I have forgot to plug back in after a feed or WC when it was off at least 18-24hrs still no ill affect.

kilnakorr
05-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I know it would be guessing but your experiences helps alot. I've read anything from 4 hours to almost a week on other forums. Sounds like 12 hours is pushing the limit.

LizStreithorst
05-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Take the cover off and drain the water out of it. Expose the media to air. It may go dormant but it won't die. If you leave the cover on with no water circulation for 12 hrs you will have a mess on your hands. That was just my experience.

kilnakorr
05-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Take the cover off and drain the water out of it. Expose the media to air. It may go dormant but it won't die. If you leave the cover on with no water circulation for 12 hrs you will have a mess on your hands. That was just my experience.
Thats an option. But if I have to disconnect the filter I might as well keep it running in a bucket and feed the media. Appreciate the idea :)

Willie
05-14-2016, 06:31 PM
Liz makes a good point. If you turn off the canister filter, the container will quickly go anaerobic. The issue won't be the bacteria dying off, but the formation of toxic gases as anaerobes take over. If you open it up, or run into in a bucket, you won't have this problem. This is a major weakness of canister filters.