PDA

View Full Version : Lines Gone?!? + Power Outage Question

Mattgrizzlybear
05-10-2016, 09:18 PM
My power just came back on after a short power outage (about an hour long) and as i pulled off the blankets that were keeping the tank warm, i noticed that all of my discus that had vertical dark lines on them no longer had any lines to speak of! Now after 10 minutes of the power being back on, i see one or two regaining their stripes but just wanted to ask if it was normal because i thought it was pretty cool. Now for my question. After i took the towels off of the tank, the discus seemed groggy and sluggish and are still like that and staying at the bottom of the tank, just wondering if it's anything :/ Thanks, Matt

DC Discus
05-11-2016, 12:58 AM
I'd bet your fish don't express their barring while sleeping at night, my fish get very pale at night while sleeping/resting. Covering the tanks gave them a good nap, clamed them for the power outage, and probably messed up their circadian rhythm for the day. Potentially depending on your stocking density your oxygen levels could of got fairly low and your fish have slowed themselves down to cope with the hypoxic condition (low DO) too.

Cheers,
DC

Mattgrizzlybear
05-11-2016, 06:26 AM
I'd bet your fish don't express their barring while sleeping at night, my fish get very pale at night while sleeping/resting. Covering the tanks gave them a good nap, clamed them for the power outage, and probably messed up their circadian rhythm for the day. Potentially depending on your stocking density your oxygen levels could of got fairly low and your fish have slowed themselves down to cope with the hypoxic condition (low DO) too.

Cheers,
DC
That makes sense. Thanks!

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 07:45 AM
What temp do you normally keep the tank...?

Do you often have power outages? You may want to invest in some battery operated air stones and a battery back up that could get you by for a few hrs.

I do agree w the poster above. They totally adjusted themselves and the covering of the tank made them go into night mode.

Unless of course you normally keep the tank at a higher temp and as it fell they liked it more in that case j say lower your temp a bit and see how they react.

Mattgrizzlybear
05-11-2016, 09:05 AM
What temp do you normally keep the tank...?

Do you often have power outages? You may want to invest in some battery operated air stones and a battery back up that could get you by for a few hrs.

I do agree w the poster above. They totally adjusted themselves and the covering of the tank made them go into night mode.

Unless of course you normally keep the tank at a higher temp and as it fell they liked it more in that case j say lower your temp a bit and see how they react.

They are grow outs so I do keep a higher temp but i'll test a lower temp once I get home. What temp should I lower it to? I have the temp at about 80 degrees right now. Power outages aren't that common around here but I will look into a battery operated air stone.

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 09:12 AM
80 isn't high at all unless that is a typo... typically most keep their tanks 82-84... That is the range mine are at...

My thinking was your tanks were 86 or so and with the power out they fell to say an 80-82 and they preferred it hence the less bars...? But if you keep at 80, then there goes that theory...

If that is the case I have to believe as DC discus has said and he seems spot on...

Yea you should really get the battery air stones, stock some batteries and worse case if the power goes, you can at least keep the water moving and going, they are cheap and I always keep a few handy, you just never know.

Mattgrizzlybear
05-11-2016, 09:15 AM
80 isn't high at all unless that is a typo... typically most keep their tanks 82-84... That is the range mine are at...

My thinking was your tanks were 86 or so and with the power out they fell to say an 80-82 and they preferred it hence the less bars...? But if you keep at 80, then there goes that theory...

If that is the case I have to believe as DC discus has said and he seems spot on...

Yea you should really get the battery air stones, stock some batteries and worse case if the power goes, you can at least keep the water moving and going, they are cheap and I always keep a few handy, you just never know.

I'm sorry I meant 86-88 haha. Maybe I could try 82 or 84. I'll change it when I get home and monitor if anything changes.

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Ohhh, lol... Yea try and drop it slowly and see how they do in that range and what you notice...

Again, just a random thought on my end, could lead to no where, just a suggestion...