PDA

View Full Version : Scared discus, may I be too intrusive while cleaning and doing WCs ?

diegote
05-11-2016, 08:41 AM
I have a ~180lt tank, 5 juvies (3” ~ 4”) along with a few cardinal tetras and panda corys. Ammonia and nitrites are always 0 and nitrate typically are below 10ppm. The tank has a thin layer of sand, no plants and just a couple of rocks. Ph 7 ~ 7.4
I do 50% water changes every 2/3 days and during weekends I clean glasses, syphon the sand (every other week or so I’d remove it by sucking it with the hose, rinse and get it back). I also open the canister (~1000 lt/hr) and clean it thoroughly using tank water to ensure I get rid of all the stuff it accumulates. I age my water for those 2/3 days between WCs with good aeration.
I typically feed dried food (once a day) with the exception of some artemia occasionally.
As opposed to the posted videos I see here and there, my discus don’t come to the front when I feed. I’d see two of them more active and the other three would hide every time I get close to the tank behind the rocks (which are rather small so really not much hiding…). If I move fast these two go dash away too.
For the remaining three I don’t see them eat at all, I assume they do otherwise they would be dead already…
I know that all the cleaning and WCing is stressful for them, I’d put hoses, get my hands in the tanks, move them when cleaning the glass, etc. I wonder if this is too intrusive for them and now every time they see me they go ‘here comes the bad guy’ even when I just open the lid for feeding.
I don’t see too much pecking either, there is one that’s more territorial but the rest are just chilling.

Is this normal, should I do something differently? How do you guys go about cleaning your tanks? (can’t think of a less intrusive way to do it though...). What should I do to see them being more active and not hiding?
One thing worth mentioning is that I used an automatic feeder (Eheim) for a couple of months while I was in the house to test it. Maybe these guys dissociated me from feeding…? It’s been 2 weeks since then and things didn’t change. Before using it they weren’t too interested in seeing me either. The tank is in a very quiet room, I’d get in there a few times after work but other than that the fish don’t see movement at all during the day.

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 09:08 AM
How long have you had the fish? Are the backs or sides painted?

our water change and feeding regiment leave something to be desired. Those fish aren't going to grow much nor will they reach anything close to potential with one feeding a day and a water change every 3 days. You need to up the feedings, try different foods and get in there daily and change that water or at best a big change every other day...

They will adjust once they get used to it. At first they would be timid, you are big and have all these tools in their home. Once they become acustomed to it, they will probably chase the hose and nibble your fingers like mine do! I have to shove them out of the way at times to get places cause they are busy playing...

diegote
05-11-2016, 10:00 AM
2 have been in this set up for a year, 2 for 4 months and the last (one of the two that are the least timid) is new: 2 weeks after QT.

diegote
05-12-2016, 07:32 AM
Forgot to answer one of your questions, back is painted in White, sides are not covered. Thanks for your input.

Phillydubs
05-12-2016, 08:54 AM
I would cover the sides and see if that helps them feel more secure. Slowly intro yourself to the tank sit there for a bit then feed and watch and let them assosicate you with the food.

You can even use just paper on the side for now to see if it works.

Keep up on that water though try going daily or every other day

diegote
05-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks !