PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to relax with discus?

megatrev62
05-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Yeah right. There is so much to think about before I commit further with keeping discus. I have all the time in the world, but I never ventured to guess that keeping discus was so labour intensive. I'm only in it for about 3 weeks and have learned much about these fish than I wanted to..lol.This site was an eye opener. I want a tank to be enjoyable and not so much a chore. I agree with the proper way to care for these fish, I'm trying to convince myself, if I'm up for it
Just a rant of sorts, and I'd like to know if people felt like I do and how they decided to continue with the commitment needed for keeping these beautiful fish. Any input would be much appreciated. I mean the excitement is there, but holy moly.

Phillydubs
05-11-2016, 11:28 AM
I always tell people when they see my tanks and go oh that is so relaxing must be nice! I go, yea, try caring for them! People who don't maintain the tanks think tanks are so peaceful and relaxing!!!

On the other hand, you have to enjoy it first and foremost, it isn't easy but can be made easier and suit your needs if you do it right and plan it right...

Are you just in the planning stages or do you already have the fish?

You have to determine how much time you have or are willing to commit and figure out how to simplify the process. On the other hand when you think about it, the few hrs it takes to maintain it are just a fraction of the time that you are actually enjoying a tank...

This week I had an aging barrel issue and on monday I had to do a WC the old school way with repeat 5 gallon bucket trips. I did this for the first few months and I said to ymself this week, how the hell did I ever do that daily?!!?!?!!?

I still am hard headed and haul buckets one way but I am working on a process now to stop that as well...

I do water changes 3-4 weeks about 100% in 2 tanks, takes me about an hour and a half start to finish. I am in my office an easy 12 plus hours a day, so if you do the math, my 4.5-6 hrs a week for 60 plus hrs of enjoyment and peace is a fair formula in my book...

If it is going to be too much, then go with another type of fish that don't require as much care... thats just my advice

Akili
05-11-2016, 11:33 AM
I always tell people when they see my tanks and go oh that is so relaxing must be nice! I go, yea, try caring for them! People who don't maintain the tanks think tanks are so peaceful and relaxing!!!

On the other hand, you have to enjoy it first and foremost, it isn't easy but can be made easier and suit your needs if you do it right and plan it right...

You have to determine how much time you have or are willing to commit and figure out how to simplify the process. On the other hand when you think about it, the few hrs it takes to maintain it are just a fraction of the time that you are actually enjoying a tank...

This week I had an aging barrel issue and on monday I had to do a WC the old school way with repeat 5 gallon bucket trips. I did this for the first few months and I said to ymself this week, how the hell did I ever do that daily?!!?!?!!?

I still am hard headed and haul buckets one way but I am working on a process now to stop that as well...

I do water changes 3-4 weeks about 100% in 2 tanks, takes me about an hour and a half start to finish. I am in my office an easy 12 plus hours a day, so if you do the math, my 4.5-6 hrs a week for 60 plus hrs of enjoyment and peace is a fair formula in my book...

If it is going to be too much, then go with another type of fish that don't require as much care... thats just my advice+ 1 ^^^ this just about sums it up :thumbsup:

nolefan
05-11-2016, 11:54 AM
It's like having a second job at times and it's really enjoyable unless some thing goes wrong than it can get frustrating I've done discus on and off for the last 25 plus years and every few years will take a break but always seem to come back to it .. Imo I have a 300 reef and it's easier than my discus tank by far

chuckiesmalls
05-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Yeah right. There is so much to think about before I commit further with keeping discus. I have all the time in the world, but I never ventured to guess that keeping discus was so labour intensive. I'm only in it for about 3 weeks and have learned much about these fish than I wanted to..lol.This site was an eye opener. I want a tank to be enjoyable and not so much a chore. I agree with the proper way to care for these fish, I'm trying to convince myself, if I'm up for it
Just a rant of sorts, and I'd like to know if people felt like I do and how they decided to continue with the commitment needed for keeping these beautiful fish. Any input would be much appreciated. I mean the excitement is there, but holy moly.

I understand how you feel. I have been with discus for just this year but have had tropical fish/cichlids for about 10.

Its a commitment but IMO when you see your fish growing properly and they are healthy and happy---nothing compares.

It isn't for everybody though. The more you do it the more you will refine your system and find easier ways. I DO NOT have all the time in the world but again, you MAKE TIMNE for the things you are passionate about.

Children are VERY HARD and people do that ALLL THE TIME. ;)

megatrev62
05-11-2016, 12:05 PM

If it is going to be too much, then go with another type of fish that don't require as much care... thats just my advice

Thanks for that. I have been keeping fish for 25+ years and this by far is the most difficult for sure. Pep talks are great.

megatrev62
05-11-2016, 12:07 PM
It's like having a second job at times and it's really enjoyable unless some thing goes wrong than it can get frustrating I've done discus on and off for the last 25 plus years and every few years will take a break but always seem to come back to it .. Imo I have a 300 reef and it's easier than my discus tank by far

You've got that right. Had very rewarding tanks over the years,raised bangaii cardinals, which was about the nicest thing that happened for me in the hobby. Discus are a big challenge, and am trying to make that commitment.

farebox
05-11-2016, 12:08 PM
I am fully retired, so I have ample time on my hand to keep three discus tanks going, 125G with 13 discus, 55G with 8 juvies, and 40G breeder with 5 discus. I do 50% WC every three days and 80%+daily on the 55G grow out tank. Yes keeping these type of fish may be like having an job, but I treat it as my hobby and enjoy the the progress I've made in discus keeping. My wife says I'm always busy with the fish, feeding, WC's, or making BH mix for the crew. All I can say" keep it all simple" and sit back and enjoy your fish that you take care of so dearly.

megatrev62
05-11-2016, 12:08 PM
I understand how you feel. I have been with discus for just this year but have had tropical fish/cichlids for about 10.

Its a commitment but IMO when you see your fish growing properly and they are healthy and happy---nothing compares.

It isn't for everybody though. The more you do it the more you will refine your system and find easier ways. I DO NOT have all the time in the world but again, you MAKE TIMNE for the things you are passionate about.

Children are VERY HARD and people do that ALLL THE TIME. ;)

I hear ya. Thanks

megatrev62
05-11-2016, 12:10 PM
I am fully retired, so I have ample time on my hand to keep three discus tanks going, 125G with 13 discus, 55G with 8 juvies, and 40G breeder with 5 discus. I do 50% WC every three days and 80%+daily on the 55G grow out tank. Yes keeping these type of fish may be like having an job, but I treat it as my hobby and enjoy the the progress I've made in discus keeping. My wife says I'm always busy with the fish, feeding, WC's, or making BH mix for the crew. All I can say" keep it all simple" and sit back and enjoy your fish that you take care of so dearly.

Thanks

Rapture
05-11-2016, 01:03 PM
If you don't want to do water changes daily, maybe start with adults. I do daily 60%+ water changes on my 75 gallon because I am growing out juvies, it takes about 45 minutes every night, but about half of that time is waiting for the tank to refill with fresh water, so I just do some other things at the same time. If I had adults, I probably wouldn't do a water change every day, but I don't mind doing it that much because it is easy and I can take pride in my work. I love to watch the fish, they swim around very slowly like they are floating, and it is very relaxing to watch them.

Jason.M
05-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Part of the relaxation of having them for me is the maintenance part. I enjoy the looking after them part as much as the looking at them part of the hobby. I get a great sense of satisfaction from seeing the effect on them because of the things I do with their environment. With a fish this interactive with you, it's a pleasure working with them.

cedar
05-11-2016, 07:04 PM
I agree with Jason, I love the messing around parts of water changes and maintenance...lol my husband says I am always "dicking" with my fish! lol

Filip
05-12-2016, 05:29 AM
I often find my self swear and curse in my mind when I do a late night cleaning after a hard work +wife+ kid -day.
But that feeling stops right after the work is done , by the time I lay back on my couch and enjoy the pristine water and happy fish .
I know its hard and time consuming , and it often gets my in to quarrels with my wife , about how much time do I give to my fish instead of my family, BUT so far I'm sure that I certainly dont wont to quit discus just yet.

ksuyen
05-12-2016, 08:05 AM
I guess, don't let it feel like a chore in the first place. If you haven't had a tank or fishes, proper preparation in the beginning is a must, it will help you maintain your tank easier. I always feel it enjoyable doing maintenance, it only takes half an hour for me to clean and do water change 75-80% by using pump and hose connected directly to tap water. It is also the time to check and interact with your fishes. The resulted pristine tank is more than just a reward.

DISCUS STU
05-12-2016, 11:18 AM
What makes this all work? Ceaseless devotion the hobby / art/ craft and a hint of masochism! :angry::angry::fish:

megatrev62
05-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all the input. Another water change tonight !!! The fish are doing well.