PDA

View Full Version : Overly Shy and Possibly Stunted: Need Expert Opinions

rpb1975
05-12-2016, 12:46 PM
So, I am new to discus, but I am concerned with the five I have and want to make sure I do everything I can to provide the best home possible. I would love to have all five grow into beautiful, full-sized discus. I'll give a brief background and then my two concerns. I would love your expert opinions.

April 16: Purchase 5 discus 2.5" - 4" (3 Brillian and 2 Cobalt). Add them into a 55G and begin every other day water changes (55G has one large sponge filter that is cycled and use a 60 GPH pump for mild current for the discus). I feed them four times per day (8AM, 12PM, 5:30PM, 9PM). Temp is set at a steady 86 degree farenheit. Water used for water changes is allowed to age and aerate for 24 hours and is within 1 degree of the tank temp.
April 18: Notice a long white, segmented poop on one of the smaller discus
April 19 - 22: Four day treatment with API General Cure (1 packet per 10 gallons - wait 48 hours, 1 packet per 10 gallons - wait 48 hour, water change)
April 22: Change out the 55G for a newer 55G and move the fish careful to re-acclimate them slowly. Continue every other day water changes
April 30: Fish still aren't eating as much as I'd like and are really shy. Not pooping much and some poop is white
April 30: Treat after water change with Prazi Pro. Move to every day water changes
May 5 - 8: Four day treatment with API General Cure (1 packet per 10 gallons - wait 48 hours, 1 packet per 10 gallons - wait 48 hour, water change)
May 8: Back to every day water changes (~24G per day) making sure to really clean the bottom of the tank.
May 10: Add a Pengiun 350 HOB filter in addition to the Sponge filter to increase filtration

Two Issues:

Issue #1: I haven't seen much growth but I also haven't found a great way to measure accurately since the discus won't come near me. I am concerned that they may already be stunted which would be a big bummer :( I have been reading a lot, and the eyes may be a smidge large for the body size as well as the shape is more football than circle on at least two of them.

I'm planning to add them to my established 125G once they grow out. The 125G has 9 congo tetras, 3 Siamese Algae Eater, 10 or so BN Plecos, 2 Koi Angels (breeding pair), 2 Bosmani Rainbows (Male/Female), 6 Cory Catfish, 2 ottos and it is heavily planted with two large pieces of driftwood. Is it better to grow them out in a 55G with daily water changes as I am doing now.

Issue #2: It has been about four weeks and the discus are still super shy. They won't come near me. I have been trying to get them used to me by working on the tank, talking to them, spending time watching them. They just seem super shy now matter what. The smallest one will also go off on his own and hide away from the group (Last pic below). Sometimes they have almost no stress bars, but other times they are very dark. The smaller ones have darker stress bars. What can I do to help them get over beings shy? They won't eat in front of me because they go to hide. I know it can take time, but I haven't seen any improvement in four weeks, and I am concerned.

EDIT: I did test the water yesterday just in case. Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: Less than 5 PPM. PH: 7.5.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Here are pics to help:

warblad79
05-12-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry to say but they look stunted to me.

warblad79
05-12-2016, 01:18 PM
My suggestion would be painting the tank, dimming the light, increase water change and bump the temp to 84F.

rpb1975
05-12-2016, 01:21 PM
My suggestion would be painting the tank, dimming the light, increase water change and bump the temp to 84F.

The tank already has a backing to it, so I don't get the painting comment. If I paint the whole tank, they won't see me at all. The temp is 86 degrees, so what do you mean by 'bump the temp to 84). I already do daily WC, so not sure why an increase if my water parameters are good.

If they are indeed stunted, is their nothing more I can do? They are only a few months old.

warblad79
05-12-2016, 01:46 PM
In my experience, if I have done everything I could and follow every rule but still no improvement. I would just cull it because I don't want my other fish get compromise as well. I have about 400 fry, culling few is only make sense and keep the healthiest in the group

Phillydubs
05-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Well you do daily but half the water. I would up the water changes get close to 100 daily if you can. More clean fresh water the better. Maybe even get a little sub vac to pull stuff inbetween a big change.

Good move adding the hob if you ask me.

I would keep up what your doing. I wouldn't jump to say they a te stunted just yet if you ask me too soon to tell. Are they from a good source. ??

Not sure about the temp comment I say 82-84. I usually hover at 83 myself.

Give them time to adjust to you they are young new and figuring things out too.

Phillydubs
05-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Yea but you have that opportunity with 400 fish you have to think small scale this guy just got his first group and is working with them not 400 fish...

Can't expect him to kill them all after a
Month and reinvest. It just doesn't work that way for a beginner hobbyist.

warblad79
05-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Yea but you have that opportunity with 400 fish you have to think small scale this guy just got his first group and is working with them not 400 fish...

Can't expect him to kill them all after a
Month and reinvest. It just doesn't work that way for a beginner hobbyist.

Please read my previous statement, if the fish don't have sign of improvement and very thin to the point you know for sure there's no guarantee of recovery, do you think it's working saving it? However, the fish to this point doesn't seem look bad at all so do a lot of water changes is best.

John_Nicholson
05-12-2016, 02:56 PM
He is fairly close to me and while he did not get the fish from me they MAY have come from me originally but have been passed around a little. Not entirely sure what they have but I got him doing some stuff. Hopefully we can get it handled

-john.

rpb1975
05-13-2016, 10:30 AM
He is fairly close to me and while he did not get the fish from me they MAY have come from me originally but have been passed around a little. Not entirely sure what they have but I got him doing some stuff. Hopefully we can get it handled

-john.

Yeah, I appreciate the help John! *Fingers Crossed*