PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on non-eating discus

kilnakorr
05-18-2016, 03:32 AM
Hello. I didn't put this in the disease forum, since I have no signs of any illness. So first the background which I believe caused the issue:

I noticed something was wrong about 3 weeks ago, when my discus became inactive and wouldn't really eat. I started by upping the WC from 50% every other day to 50% each day. Didn't help much, so I upped even further and cleaned out my canister filters but a few days later I lost a discus.
I finally though I should try clean the hoses to my filters, and found them REALLY dirty, and after a good rinse (all fittings aswell) and a few big waterchanges the fish discus seemed a bit better. This is about 2 weeks ago.
My problem is now that they are still pretty inactive, a few eat very little and one still hasn't been eating.
They don't hide, fins are fully erected and I've tried various food types. I've tried increase the temp for a few days with no effect.
I'm down to 4 adult discus which isn't much, but I'd like to get these 4 back to happy fish before I think of adding more.

I'm still doing 50%+ daily WC.
Does anyone have a few ideas on what I could try, to get my diiscus to eat again?

Filip
05-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Back in a days when I run a high tech full planted discus tank , they often used to get hunger strikes and hex .
It all comes from the inadequate water quallity and keeping conditions IMO .

I used to take them out in a 10-20 gallon QT,-BB tank for 2-3 weeks , and applied metro with higher tepms. followed by a daily 90% WC.
After they got better I put them back in my display planted tank.

kilnakorr
05-18-2016, 07:57 AM
Hi Filip. It's so wierd you mentioned hex. I just noticed white feces from the single discus that won't eat (fed a little live food today and the other discus had great time).
I'm going to the emergency room and make a post, just to get a second opinion on the hex (not really stringy, so want to be sure).
Thanks for your reply ;)

Filip
05-18-2016, 08:21 AM
I have mention it because I went the same route .
Having discus in rich substrate fully planted tank ,hex was ussualy the most common and reoccurring problem that discus encounter due to low water quality.
Taking them out in BB /QT and keeping pristine conditions untill full recovery is the best thing you can do right now IME.

kilnakorr
05-18-2016, 10:19 AM
I have mention it because I went the same route .
Having discus in rich substrate fully planted tank ,hex was ussualy the most common and reoccurring problem that discus encounter due to low water quality.
Taking them out in BB /QT and keeping pristine conditions untill full recovery is the best thing you can do right now IME.

I know the planted tank isn't the easiest one to keep clean. I am however doing a lot to ensure the tank is clean. I do 'test' with deep gravel cleaning and I have yet to find any dirt in the gravel.
As written in the first post, the sinner here was dirty hoses, as all other discus bounced back right after these where clean and a few large WC.
A little update, since I had the day off, I had time to expect my fish all day. All but one have been feeding quite a bit and even picking pellets of the bottom. Also quite active, pecking a bit.

I'm pretty optimistic, but I'd like to see the last one bounce back.